Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i now have 108 on the new white 3 and i am going to be driving 300 miles one way and 300 back for christmas, so i should be at 708+ when i get back.
My question is, Is it ok to drive that far to break it in faster or are you supposed ot break it in slower?
My sister will be following me in her 3 and she should have 900+ when we get back so shes almost fully broken in.
I was wanting to race my brother at the old airfield/track by his house but i guess that will have to wait till next year:( haha

this might be a stupid question but i have never broken in a car

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was told to avoid extended highway driving by a mazda service guy during break in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ya... vary the speed often... Go 10 below the speed limit for half an hour then go 10 above the speed limit... Change gears more often than normal hwy driving... that sort of thing. Take breaks... stop for gas... stop for lunch... etc... get some city driving in between stretches when you make some stops. Hop from one city to another.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D said:
Ya... vary the speed often... Go 10 below the speed limit for half an hour then go 10 above the speed limit... Change gears more often than normal hwy driving... that sort of thing. Take breaks... stop for gas... stop for lunch... etc... get some city driving in between stretches when you make some stops. Hop from one city to another.
so if i do that then it should be ok ?
i stop a lot anyways usually

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have an automatic, use the sport shift. First one hundred miles, drive normal. 2nd hundred, use the sport shift to vary the RPMs, and the 3rd hundred, just vary it with highway driving and using the sports shift.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm in the same boat with you :( The other car's got a cracked engine mount so it can't go on the trip. I'm stuck taking my 3 on 300 miles. Its got 330 miles on her now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got my car Saturday 12/13/03 and it had 20 Miles when I bought it now it has 430 Miles. Is that bad. basically 410 miles in 5 days. Is that to quick. I've been driving it a lot because i do want to break in the engine fast so I can see what this thing can do. I havent revved it high at all, I havent accelerated fast, and when I drive on the freeway, I vary my speed between 65 to 80MpH.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From my understanding, it's not to quick it's just important to vary the "style" of driving.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You just want to avoid consistent high RPM's and harsh driving. I have 565Kms on my 3 now, by the time my 150Km drive @ 120km/h comes up Christmas Eve I should have around 700kms, I'm sure i'll be OK.

Funny enough they say 1000KMs to us, and 1000miles to you. That's a big difference in numbers. 1000 miles is like 7-800kms.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah exactly Bruno, funny that they say 1000 miles for those guys and 1000kms for us. I should be over 600 by the time my road trip comes up so I'm not worrying about it. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe they were just lazy. Somebody probably figured it was easier to change "km" to "mi" instead of converting it into an odd number. :D :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts