Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How can I test the amp and sub before putting the sub into a box or even into a car?

2. Can I dynamat or raamat or ensolite the exterior of the sub box instead of the car? It seems logical because in the end your sound deadening the vibrations. If so, how many layers do you think I'll need?

OR

Am I thinking of the wrong function for the mats? I know the purpose of the mats are to add mass and strength the the sheet metal so it doesn't rattle/vibrate.

3. Why do people mat the floor? The floor is not a flat sheet metal, it is all bent and curvy so in theory it should not flex/rattle/vibrate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: 2 questions about installing a subwoofer with stock radio.

1. Well you're going to have to hook it up to something to test it.

2. No, it does not seem logical. The vibration is from the air being forced against your trunk, not from the box vibrating in the back. The mats insulate the metal to and deadens the noise of the vibration that will still be occurring.

Also what trim of 3 are you putting this in? I just added 2 12"s in my trunk and had to insulate a couple other areas that will rattle, like that plastic thing between the two headrests on the backseat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

2009 White Mazda 3 Sport GT

I will be using 2x10 pioneers.

·
Registered
18 Posts

You shouldn't need more than one layer of dynamat, if you even need that. Dynamat will definitely make any car more accoustic, but depending on the amount of power you are pushing to those 10's your trunk probably isn't going to rattle all that much.

I would definitely install them first before you decide to use any dynamat if cost or time is an issue. You may not need it. Though, again, it WILL make it sound better lining your trunk lid and doors with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the subs are around 200RMS and 600 peak? I don't remember the details, I got these subs a while back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts