Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my autocross runs over the weekend, the car popped out of 2nd gear. I didn't notice it until I realized how fast the car revved up to redline without any noticable increase of acceleration. Now, I thought it could have been that I didn't engage the shifter completely into 2nd gear, but it did not pop out of gear right away. It had been a few turns before it popped out.

That is telling me how sloppy the stock engine mounts are. Now, I did a visual check of the transmission mount from under the car a few weeks ago, and found it to be okay based on the pics I've seen on here so far. There have been no unusual noises with the car since that day, and since I drove home from the autocross event. I will definitely check the actual torque of that transmission mount bolt before I autocross it again.

I'm still waiting for any company to make an engine mount set--not just the rear mount--for our cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have heard of people complaining about this with the speed 6's. However, when I was at a zoom-zoom live event, they kept announcing that "there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, and if it comes out of gear, then its your fault for not properly getting it into gear".

They reminded everyone that it should never be slammed into gear, that the syncros need time to mesh Ssometimes if you don't wait for it and mash it in, the syncros end up carrying the load, rather than the gears themselves, causing it to pop out of gear.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea i have a 2.0 sedan and i had the same thing happen with my third gear. its basically from just slamming the gears trying to speed shift and crap. I ended up having to get my 3rd gear synchro mesh replaced under warranty. once it started popping out it began to pop out more regularly so keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Did it happen just after hard braking while you were in 2nd gear (maybe even over a rough surface? The weight on the shift lincage at the transaxle is situated so it moves more or less in a forward/back motion, when you are in 2nd Gear the weight is towards the rear so when you are under hard braking the weight wants to move forward (toward neutral) I had mine come out of 2nd gear twice when the weight was still on the lincage and has never happened again once I took it off. I would rather have some of the weight back on the lincage but I am going to figure out how to modify it so it moved from side to side instead of front to back to keep this from happening. My guess is I will have to modify the lever arm on the trans and put the weight on at 90 deg from it's origional position.

·
Registered
888 Posts
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=71780.msg1333402#msg1333402 date=1176477846]
Hmm... that's odd. I drive a normal 3 and it has never done something like this when I shift really fast.[/quote]
It's not shifting that causes this, it is braking really hard. When in 2nd gear and you bang the brakes, it unloads the gearbox making a shift really easy, and the weight on the shift linkage is aligned with the deceleration force and pops the box out of gear. Simple physics.

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
[quote author=rotus8 link=topic=71780.msg1333434#msg1333434 date=1176478335]
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=71780.msg1333402#msg1333402 date=1176477846]
Hmm... that's odd. I drive a normal 3 and it has never done something like this when I shift really fast.[/quote]
It's not shifting that causes this, it is braking really hard. When in 2nd gear and you bang the brakes, it unloads the gearbox making a shift really easy, and the weight on the shift linkage is aligned with the deceleration force and pops the box out of gear. Simple physics.
[/quote]

Oh... that's some really strong brakes. lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=71780.msg1333497#msg1333497 date=1176479612]
Its also a safety thing to take it out of gear
[/quote]

Does this happen in all gears, or just second?

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
some of the regular 3 owners have had this happen to 3rd gear I believe....unde rregular conditions....resulting in a lot of transmission work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
There is no safety issue to this, it is just a mistake in engineering. It might also jump out of 4th and 6th gear but will not happen in 1st,3rd, or 5th because the weight is already as far forward as it can go.
If it was a safety issue why would they not design it so it happened in all gears?

Most manufacturers that add weight to the shift lincage do it so the weight moves perpendicular to the direction of travel of the car. I have no idea how the standered M3 transaxle linckage is designed (I have never looked at one) but this is something that IS happening with the transaxle they use on the MS3's. Remember the highest G loading your car will EVER see is under braking (except in an accident!).

·
Registered
888 Posts
The solution is to divide the weight into two pieces and put one on each side of the axis of the shifter. This way there will be no net moment on the shifter under braking or cornering. Actually, I would rather it popped out under braking than under cornering which is what might happen if you orient it 90 degrees out. Mazda wouldn't do this for cost reasons, but it might be possible to modify it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm with you, I think about half of the total weight split might be just about right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The same thing happened to me once last weekend at an auto-x school. I went from full throttle/second gear to full straight-line abs, trying to whoa her down for a 180 left. At some point during the breaking it jumped out of second into neutral.

I put an AWR mount on the day after. It makes a huge difference in shifter feel. Yeah, there's a little more vibration, but it's a small price to pay.

·
Registered
808 Posts
[quote author=dutchie3 link=topic=71780.msg1421218#msg1421218 date=1179511739]
I had a popout in third, shifting quick but not slamming it.
[/quote]

dutchie3, I think the other reports on this page are of pop-outs during braking when the car is already in gear. Are you referring to the same thing, or is it popping out during the shift? If it's the latter, check the tranny mount bolt (or have it checked). I had the same thing before, and after the mount bolt "fix" it hasn't happened once.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=P5_2_MS3 link=topic=71780.msg1421368#msg1421368 date=1179514459]
[quote author=dutchie3 link=topic=71780.msg1421218#msg1421218 date=1179511739]
I had a popout in third, shifting quick but not slamming it.
[/quote]

dutchie3, I think the other reports on this page are of pop-outs during braking when the car is already in gear. Are you referring to the same thing, or is it popping out during the shift? If it's the latter, check the tranny mount bolt (or have it checked). I had the same thing before, and after the mount bolt "fix" it hasn't happened once.
[/quote]

it had popped while shifting into gear....interesting. just more reason for me to have it checked.... :(.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts