Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

· Registered
730 Posts
[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=5308.msg342038#msg342038 date=1121213428]
Sad to say , but with 22,000 miles and 9 months of driving I have 142 :shock: paint chips on car (M3 Ti Gray) as of today, between the front bumper, front hood, front roof ( infront of my sunroof) and on both side skirts by the back doors. I am trying to figure out what to do, so far I have about 85% of them filled :| using lanka , my toothpick, and 2nd bottle of touchup paint which mazda made me buy :x . I just don't think it is right that it is chipping so easily :? . I am actually keeping a chart of the number of chips I have filled after reading about the problems with the paint on the 3's. I confess I do about 80 % highway driving , but I am carefull. Any suggestions ? I am almost tempted to have my insurance paint the whole car.

Angry Mazda 3 owner... Aka Bob :grr:

[/quote]

Are they noticeable at all once you have used touch-up and langka? This is what I'm going to start doing on my black mica once I get my touch up paint from slow-ass mazda.

· Registered
505 Posts
Is there some sort of protective wax that will - I want to say prevents but we all know nothing des - limits the chips to a more sane ammount?

I've not looked for chips yet (and I'm very afraid to) and I've only had my car for 2 weeks. I've never driven offroad but I've heard occasional stones jumping back at me even when going at 20mph. So is there a wax that will build a hard clear shell to armor against "dez st0nes" ?

· Registered
302 Posts
Strange, i've driven my 3 for about 6 months (7,500 miles exactly) and I dont have a single rock chip on my bumper... I take extreme caution when driving through dirty or rocky areas and it pays off..

Slightly off topic, this morning at 2:00 AM on southbound 280 from san fran... some people left a bunch of trash on the highway (water bottles, shattered beer bottles, etc) and i ran over some of it.. luckily I swereved to avoid the glass but ran over something else and it scratched part of my bumper... its only very small, thankfully.

· Registered
204 Posts
[quote author=MoeMan949 link=topic=5308.msg342728#msg342728 date=1121280806]
What, do you guys drive in gravel highways
[/quote]

I drive the PA turnpike, there are rocks EVERYWHERE and the min speed is like 65 and there is construction along 20 miles of it on my way to work , alas I have no hope keeping my paint safe...

· Registered
204 Posts
[quote author=blan link=topic=5308.msg342188#msg342188 date=1121226054]
[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=5308.msg342038#msg342038 date=1121213428]
Sad to say , but with 22,000 miles and 9 months of driving I have 142 :shock: paint chips on car (M3 Ti Gray) as of today, between the front bumper, front hood, front roof ( infront of my sunroof) and on both side skirts by the back doors. I am trying to figure out what to do, so far I have about 85% of them filled :| using lanka , my toothpick, and 2nd bottle of touchup paint which mazda made me buy :x . I just don't think it is right that it is chipping so easily :? . I am actually keeping a chart of the number of chips I have filled after reading about the problems with the paint on the 3's. I confess I do about 80 % highway driving , but I am carefull. Any suggestions ? I am almost tempted to have my insurance paint the whole car.

Angry Mazda 3 owner... Aka Bob :grr:

[/quote]

Are they noticeable at all once you have used touch-up and langka? This is what I'm going to start doing on my black mica once I get my touch up paint from slow-ass mazda.
[/quote]

They are noticeable from about 5-6 feet away, after that it just blends in and you cant tell, thanks to lanka's smoothing ability. There is some difference tho because my touch up paint doesnt exactly match my car, I told the dealer this 2x and he has given me 2 different bottles of Ti Gray, and still the color is not the same, its off my a shade... If I ever buy another Mazda 3, which I might next year, I will cover the entire car in 3M clear tape, I dont care how much it cost, I want to take out this hassel of touching up my car, then again mazda could always figure out how to paint a car the way they used to, and then the paint would prolly chip less.

UPDATE, my car is 100 % touched up ( that sounds bad I know :shock: ) and I just got my 1st coat of Mothers Gold wax on her since I finished the paint repairs , the Zoom Zoom (aka my car) is looking like new, well from about 5-6 feet away it looks like new.... :?

· Registered
1,311 Posts
I only have two rock chips on my car from 2000 miles so far. I did have an incident today where a dirt clod or something hit my hood. It ledt skids marks of sorts in the hood that wouldn't be visible except some of the dirt is stuck in the scrape. Since it's only on the clear im just gonna use a little scratch X and it should clear it up nicely.

· Registered
204 Posts
[quote author=randomlinh link=topic=5308.msg343143#msg343143 date=1121304773]
3M all the way around, can they even do that? :) And the reason it doesn't match.. sun exposure maybe? As for driving on gravel highways... the beltway here is full of tiny debris, it's almost impossible not to get a chip.
[/quote]

For enough money, I know people that will 3M anything you want, lol...

· Registered
4,311 Posts
[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=5308.msg342038#msg342038 date=1121213428] using lanka , my toothpick, and 2nd bottle of touchup paint which mazda made me buy :x .
[/quote]

2nd bottle? What'd you do with the first one? You should easily be able to touch up thousands of chips with one bottle.

EDIT:

[quote author=lordkosc link=topic=5308.msg342763#msg342763 date=1121282619]

They are noticeable from about 5-6 feet away, after that it just blends in and you cant tell, thanks to lanka's smoothing ability. There is some difference tho because my touch up paint doesnt exactly match my car, I told the dealer this 2x and he has given me 2 different bottles of Ti Gray, and still the color is not the same, its off my a shade...
[/quote]

Well, I guess that answers my question. I haven't had any problem with the touch up paint matching my ti-gray paint job. I've used Langka several times and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Some chips are easier to disguise than others, but with the ones I've had the most success with, I have a hard time seeing from just inches away.

· Registered
837 Posts
The paint is weak on this car. Ive got more chips in the paint for the 6 months, Ive owned it. Than my last car. I had for 4 years. When I, say more. I mean ALOT more. Oh well nothing anyone can do about it.

· Registered
581 Posts
I'm seeing the same. after 23,000 miles I have more chips than normal. For those saying drive carefully, lol. 3-4 car lengths on the freeway?? gravel can bounce for at least 5 seconds...75 mph .. that's 500 ft. more like 30+ carlengths. get the math right folks. sounds like the people saying the RSA's work well in winter if you just drive carefully!

I spent 10 years on gravel roads, and know what stone chips look like. The ones on my hood & upper front qtr panels typically are deeper and larger than expected. Also, i've got a couple of marks on the doors (one self-inflicted opening into a concrete post) that are more than i'd expect. Biggest problem though is getting the touch-up paint to do a decent job....

Should I just go to the Mazda dealership, hand them the paint & say, "show me" ? 'cuz honestly, this isn't the best way to cover up a problem.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have about 50,00KM on my 3 right now and have about the same amount of stone chips. The thing that sucks is with a silver car is that when the paint chips the colour shows black underneath. It looks pretty bad.

· Registered
186 Posts
yep the paint on the 3 sucks a$$, looks great but is applied far to thin. I have less than 6000 miles on my car, and I wash, wax, and maintain it very very well, and I still have between 7 and 10 chips on hood, Ft bumper, and fenders. I have a velocity red 3 , and when the paint chips it exposes the black underneath.

· Registered
5,817 Posts
take an active role in avoiding chips and you can do a lot of good (yes the paint is weak, but adjust to compensate, and you can at LEAST help). 17k miles with only one small chip on my grill. Things to avoid: Dump trucks (empty ones are the msot dangerous, b/c the full ones cover their load, but the empty ones don't, and there is always some residual shit in the bed); flatbed trailers (ANY kind, they are usually carrying contruction equipment, and equipment that isn't cleaned before it goes onto the flatbed, so it will "self clean" while its going down the highway, avoid these at all costs); Cement trucks (I don't think I need to get into this one. . .); and just generally any downtrodden looking vehicle. I drive i-40 to work every day, and have to deal with these sorts of vehicles all the time, and I just avoid them, and if I get stuck behind one, I slow down, and create space (I don't care who's behind me, if they run into me, its their fault, and if the cop asks why I slowed down, its a perfectly legit reason, I wanted to protect my investment, and a cop will never fault you for going too slow. . .) Yes, gravel can bounce for a while, but its first couple bounces are likely to be higher than the third or forth, so if you give it some time to die down before it gets to you, it WILL make a difference.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
[quote author=DBudds link=topic=5308.msg347856#msg347856 date=1121780974]
Wow are the 05's any better than the 04's as far as this problem goes I wonder?
[/quote] I'm not sure but my paint is holding up well. Granted I have only had the car 3 months now but I only have one stone chip and it is not even noticeable to anyone but me. I did get some sort of dirt rock thing hitting against my paint that caused some scratches to the clear but it was easy to fix.

· Registered
730 Posts
[quote author=DBudds link=topic=5308.msg347856#msg347856 date=1121780974]
Wow are the 05's any better than the 04's as far as this problem goes I wonder?
[/quote]

Same paint, I have an 05 and have massive amounts of rock chips. Granted they are not very visible from a distance. But I can sure as shit see them.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.