Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed my car today for the first time in a few weeks and my hood is chipped all over!! I've got about 5000KM on it now, but the amount of stonechips is insane. My 95 Volvo had less than this! I'm seriously thinking about complaining to my dealer or Mazda. Although I'm sure it will get me nowhere.
Anyone else having problems with stone/paintchips?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, I've got the same problem. I have about a dozen small chips on my hood, about another gazillion on the front bumper. 2 or 3 on my side view mirrors, a couple of stone chips on the rear of my side skirts, a small chip off my driver's door, and one monster 1" veritcal scratch from a tall rock. :cry:

·
Registered
62 Posts
spicoli: just exactly what are you going to complain about? No offence, but you don't have a valid reason to complain and request a "warranty" on paint if your car has rock chips on it. Even if Mazda had put 3-4 coats of clear on the hood, you'd still get rock chips. I'm sorry if I sound offensive, but I have worked at both a bodyshop and a dealership, and for someone to "complain"/warranty about rock chips on a car with 5000kms is WRONG.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zephyrantes said:
spicoli: just exactly what are you going to complain about? No offence, but you don't have a valid reason to complain and request a "warranty" on paint if your car has rock chips on it. Even if Mazda had put 3-4 coats of clear on the hood, you'd still get rock chips. I'm sorry if I sound offensive, but I have worked at both a bodyshop and a dealership, and for someone to "complain"/warranty about rock chips on a car with 5000kms is WRONG.
Thanks for the constructive critisism o wise one. As I said, I know it has nothing to do with warranty and complaining would be in vain. My point is, there is a problem here, others have complained about it. 25-30 stone chips in a couple of months is TOO much and I have a legitimate concern about it. Of course I'm expecting stone chips over time, but so many so fast raises concern about the quality of the finish of my car.
And frankly, I dont care what YOU think is WRONG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, what exactly are you gonna tell them? That the paint isn't "tough" enough to withstand rock chips?

And just how many people have you talked to about this "legit" concern?

If you understand that complaining isn't going to get you anywhere (yet you seem intent on doing so), and you aren't (you can't) claim it under warranty, then does that make you a.... "Whiner"?

I'm glad you don't care about my opinions as to what is right/wrong. Oh well, come to think about it, I do hope that you get a new paint job out of it. In the end, you'll have a car with a different coloured hood and bumper. You might as well tell them to use a "single stage" paint instead of the standard base/clear.

- The Wise One. Thanks, I'm beginning to like the sound of that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing here, I find the paint on my black mica GT HB to be much less chip-resistant then my old car. Wrote Mazda Canada after mentioning this to my dealer. No response as of yet.
They are probably not going to do anything about this unless they get a significant number of complaints.

This seems to be an issue with newer cars (EPA related?), even pricier vehicles like MB. BTW, many Protege owners are pissed about low chip resistance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cojle_Manojle said:
They are probably not going to do anything about this unless they get a significant number of complaints.
This seems to be an issue with newer cars (EPA related?), even pricier vehicles like MB. BTW, many Protege owners are pissed about low chip resistance.
Which means that Mazda, nor any other manufacturer, is "going to do anything" - some newer paints are less chip-resistant. But, what baffles me a bit is the number of chips some of you guys are getting, with city addresses - what's going on? Down here in Niagara, even with about 4000km now, only have a couple small ones (that I touch up and wax every three months or so).

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think people should most definitely complain to mazda about this stone chipping problem. Would you complain if there was a door hinge problem because the hinges used cannot withstand regular usage? This paint chipping problem is very common and it is not driver preventable. However it could be improved by changing the painting process. Just because other manufacturers are having similar problems doesn't make Mazda less at fault. :roll:

·
Registered
427 Posts
One of my cars is a '97 Corolla that has 73,000 miles on it. I took at look at it tonight and counted 6 stone chips. I can hardly believe someone would have 25-30 after 3,000 miles, unless they follow gravel trucks in to work at 65mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bombadil said:
One of my cars is a '97 Corolla that has 73,000 miles on it. I took at look at it tonight and counted 6 stone chips. I can hardly believe someone would have 25-30 after 3,000 miles, unless they follow gravel trucks in to work at 65mph.
My point exactly. I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got two small ones on my bumper so far. I have an appointment to have the 3M guard installed this weekend, something I wish I had done immediately.

·
Registered
127 Posts
One stone chip

I'm wondering if all of the paint colors have the same durability?

I did a close check on my silver hatch this morning and there was ONE only - and I mean close check - after 4500 km. And I don't slouch along.

Granted the side skirts in front of rear wheels are being sandblasted, but that's a different problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For some reason, gravel/cement trucks seem to be stalking me. I'd like pull onto the beltway, merge into a lane, and then some cement truck pulls in front of me, all the sudden, 2 cars just are at a standstill to my left and right and all i hear are cracks and pops, and obviously there's someone tailing me so i can't slow down too much... pisses me off, happened more than twice.

On one occasion this moron was driving a flatbed truck with little cement granuals just spilling out the back... he was literally pouring small rocks all over the highway and he was driving in the middle lane at 61 mph. I think i got 4-5 stone chips right there.. as I was trying to pass him.. wish i had missles in my headlights.

·
Registered
427 Posts
These are very high chip incident rates. Makes me begin to believe that Mazda's paint is more susceptible to chips. Or perhaps it is the aerodynamics of the design that pull chips into the car rather than push them away. I've been hit by many small stones over the years that left no mark at all. My 12 year old, beatup MX-6 has only a handful of chips after 165K miles.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.