Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've been running 225/40/18 on 18x7.5" rims and I have had some rubbing issues in the rear. I toasted my tires at the end of last year and I have to buy new ones this year. I would like to go with a smaller width tire this year to see if i can get the rubbing to go away before i attempt rolling the fender.

I would like to see what a 205/40/18 tire looks like on a 7.5" wide rim. I am looking for a mild stretched look, but nothing drastic. The rubbing is so mild im convinced that a 2cm (1cm on each side of tire) would be enough to eliminate the rubbing.

If you have any pictures of yoru rims with this size tire and rim combo i would love to see it. Post a picture up for me.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I would roll the fenders before going with such an odd size tire.

I just did a quick search on Tire Rack for 205/40/18 only 3 results pulled up and wow, they were expensive!

Rolling your fenders and sticking with 225/40/18 (maybe 215/40) will yield much better results in the end.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but leased vehicle + rolled fenders = pissed off mazda dealer.

The tires i want are the Nitto Neo Gen's 205/40/18 and i can get a set of 4 in canada for 650.00 canadian.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I would put money on the fact that a dealer will be not be running their fingers up inside the rear wheel wells. If rolled properly, there is no visual indicator that the fenders have been rolled.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you seeing more choices for 205/45/18. I just searched 1010tires and tirerack and both have no tires in that size. And your right that they are closer to the stock size.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Sorry, I meant 215/45/18. 205/45/18 is a near-perfect match for stock but you're right, pretty rare. 215/45/18 is still close and super common, tons of choices.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
before changing ur tires size..whats causing the rubbing?

to low offset or just sitting to low?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its a combo of offset and lowering. Its not major rubbing either, it happens when I have any kind of weight in the back of the car and I hit a BIG dip in the road or pothole. The wheel bounces up and hits the inside of the rear fenderwells and pulls down the inner lip slightly on both sides. Its in a strainge spot though see picture. It is also just barely grabbing it, I would have expected this to happen at the top but it does not touch at all up there. The wheels are 18"x7.5 42 offset http://baosh.en.ecplaza.net/18.asp the spokes are black with a chrome lip though

Attachments

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
you can go with a 215/45 tire...but im not sure if that will solve ur issue since its a slightly taller tire..but a slight narrower tire....

what suspension setup do u have?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey for the suspension setup im on stock struts with Tein H-Techs so a pretty mild drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts