Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all!
Recently started noticing a very obvious clunking noise coming from the rear driver’s side of my 2017 mazda 3. The link below is a video I just put on YouTube trying to capture the sound as I drive about 30 mph down a bumpy road (I live in Minnesota - we have cracks and potholes everywhere). I hear a clunking noise when hitting bumps. Because it’s not coming from the front, I am working under the assumption that it’s not the front struts, but the rear shocks (particularly the rear driver’s side one). I went under the car and pulled on various parts. The driver side of the car seems to lower easier than the passenger side when I tried to push it down. I’m comfortable replacing the rear shocks myself after seeing videos and parts (I just did the rear calipers and rotors and the struts seems like an even easier fix) but I wanna be sure that this is what the problem is before I actually replace them. And yes I know I need to do both rear passenger and driver side shocks at the same time. Also attached pictures of the area where the bottom of the shock is attached to the wheel - let me know if you see or hear anything that confirms my suspicions! Thanks! I’m not sure how to tell if it’s any other issue (rear sway bar or something). The car drives normally minus the obvious clunking coming from one side.
Video here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only thing to do is to get up in in air and have a good look around. Someone may have had the same issue and point you in the right direction. Hard to diagnose when your on the opposite side of the planet

1 - 2 of 2 Posts