Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get a empty shell that normally would hold the driver airbag in the steering wheel, but no airbag?
Just the Shell?
Airbag deployed on a past accident, bought the car cheap and did the repairs.. but $400 for a new airbag on average -sheesh. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
To answer the OPS question:
YES!

However, you would need to find the resistance that the air bags have and install that resistor value so that the Air bag systems thinks there is an active air bag there.

This is often done when someone would like to use an aftermarket steering wheel or none factory seat not wanting to use the factory airbags. Mainly this mod is for vehicles is going to be used for competition off road events?
I keep plenty on hand for such projects. This is the most common but you still need to verify. I have NOT done an conversion yet with a MAZDA.

Finger Thumb Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Writing implement

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

·
Registered
366 Posts
They actually sell airbag "test" tools, that are the proper resistance to fool your system into thinking an airbag is there, but again, I strongly recommend getting the system fixed and functioning properly. If you chose not to, please be a morally good person and inform the person you eventually sell the car to that there is no airbag installed so they can be aware of the danger of driving the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those kits you mentioned are way much more expensive than a 50 cent resistor. :cool:

While I understand the safety feature of the system we already know that MAZDA has even had recall son air bags and even recently the chrome emblem. Thats what I want get in an accident and have a scare on my face of the MAZDA emblem. :oops:

I am not sure the moral comment fits unless you are also including that you should inform a new buyer every issue on the vehicle you are selling them. I mean if your going to toss morality in this thread... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
316 Posts
it would be difficult for a mechanic to diagnose that the airbag circuit had been bypassed unless they were specifically looking for it
a little bit different than not disclosing it burns oil or has other problems
other undisclosed faults are not likely to cause death

·
Registered
89 Posts
it would be difficult for a mechanic to diagnose that the airbag circuit had been bypassed unless they were specifically looking for it
a little bit different than not disclosing it burns oil or has other problems
other undisclosed faults are not likely to cause death
FIRST a couple of us answered the OPs question!
My responses having done this many times and I did indicate that it was primarily for track cars.

Then reading you response here is my comment and thoughts about that.

Most people do not inform a prospective buyer all the true reasons for selling the vehicle and all the problems which is why the majority of people sell a vehicle in the first place mainly the continuing problems and money spent to resolve them.

Who is clairvoyant to assume such things as what and what will not cause or cause a death in a vehicle accident death? Air bags have only been mandatory from auto manufactures for about 30 years and accordingly the studies indicate (not altogether because of the air bag in the steering wheel) 29% lives saved.

There are numerous informational about the 1998 air bag law and statistical studies before the law was effective.
Nothing I could find anywhere that a person or persons died while in volved in an automotive accident that the steering wheel air bag had been removed? I am not saying it never happened but I cant find one case? Maybe a few armchair internet jockeys can fond "one" somewhere? I did find this interest piece of information however! WOW!!

Millions of cars with faulty airbags still on roads despite 37 deaths, recall

·
Registered
89 Posts
buy a used airbag from wreckers
but there is a lot more to it
you may need to replace srs module as well
Hmm, I wonder should the op also mention that when he eventually sells his car? It falls directly in line with DIY that do there own brakes, by your thinking that should be disclosed as well.

The point is and answering the question as asked .YES you can remove the steering wheel air bag , and YES you can install a resistor so your do not get an SRS warning light!

To the OP:
DeathFish remember this when you make your discission about you installing a replacement steering wheel airbag.

There are numerous injuries and deaths each year caused from people and even professionals installing and/or removing an undeployed steering wheel air bag.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It falls directly in line with DIY that do there own brakes, by your thinking that should be disclosed as well.
Doing your own maintenance -- even if unwittingly substandard -- is wholly apart from hiding that a central and expected element of driver safety is non-functional. If this person wants it only for inexpensive personal use while that component is removed, whatever suits them; but you're on thin ice to sell it or even let someone else drive without informing them of the objective absence of an expected safety net.

Besides, this forums members don't have a mandate to "answer" every question posed to us, especially if we believe the intention may be ethically or morally dubious. 'Not saying that @Deadfish intends to mislead a buyer, but they didn't give us enough info to understand why they want to paper-over a marquee piece of driver safety.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's amazing someone doesn't think his life or safety is worth $400 when encased in a 2-ton bullet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry but it's funny how simple and direct question with basically a yes or no answer and how a yes answer and explanation of how that applies gets turned into a lesson in ethic's. :LOL:
Did the OP ever indicate selling his car? NO
Did the OP ever suggest that the car would be sold without a functional Air Bag? NO
Did the op ask a question with hopes to get an answer from a member that could answer the question? YES
Has the OP said at this point what he will do for his repair, replacement or other? NOPE!
Has the op returned to the thread he started days ago... NOPE! (we all scared him off this thread IMO)
:whistle::coffee:

·
Registered
89 Posts
buy a used airbag from wreckers
but there is a lot more to it
you may need to replace srs module as well
I was going to ignore this response you posted earlier but given you seem to be on some sort of morality crusade of sorts ... I should mention that for you, and unless I read some of your responses on this forum wrong are supposed to be a "mechanic"? So my question is you were quick to give advise to buy a USED" air bag but gave do no WARNING, recommendation or advise about testing to insure the OP would get a working air bag before installing it in his MAZDA. Also no WARNING about how dangerous it is for anyone not experienced to work servicing airbags?
WHERE IS YOUR MORAL RESPONSIBILITY? :LOL:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts