Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - been poking around several sites to find out more about whether or not you can use any type of battery for Mazda's. The manual states that the "classification" must be Q85 but that appears to be a proprietary term used by Mazda.

I bought an Interstate battery, MT35, per Interstate's website and validated by my local auto shop. AFter three months, my car completely died - no clicks, lights..anything. It was sitting in the garage for about 8 days without running (I'm in Southern Cali).

I took the battery to a local shop and it came back stating needs recharging. Left it there with the shop for 90 minutes and after that, it still didn't read any volts.

I don't see this to be a widespread issue by Googling around, however, this Q85 thing has me concerned that there is something more to Mazda's when it comes to replacement battery requirements in a this regenerative energy context.

I found this post with a link to a technical doc from Mazda about how battery must require up to 17 volt support. This is nuts but I'm not a technical person.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/6xmy4v
Prior to taking the battery in for reading, I had attempted to jump start using an optima battery in another car - followed Mazda's owner's manual steps without any issues. I let the booster car run for about 2 minutes after connecting the cables but my Mazda didn't flicker, light up or anything. Just dead as it sits now.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Many thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey, I had to replace my AGM battery for 2014 GT 2.5 Japan built with i-loop. It needs a a special battery because of capacitor.

$289.99
X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery
SLI35AGMDP

Qty: 1
Unit Price: $289.99

That was the only one I could find that would fit besides OEM replacement. I did everything to get my old battery to charge, but it was a goner. Get this and it'll be just like stock battery. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply. I just got back from the tire shop I bought the battery from. He called his Interstate contact and said I needed the next one up, the MTP-35 model not the MT 35 they initially sold me. This is going to be painful for the next few months - they're not going to credit me back but instead upsell me (but just $20 more). I just hope it doesn't damage my car. They did offer to test the alternator when I get the new one in - just to make sure it's working fine so I'll be back there in about 2 hours.

I still don't believe they realize the issue. I bet in three month, they'll sell me the premium one, the MTX-35 if I end up brining it back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is year two. It performed great over the super cold winter this year. I'm confident after this winter that its the correct battery for I-eloop with capacitor.

SLI35AGMDP X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 35 Car and Truck Battery

Product Details
  • 60 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Designed to replace BCI group 35 batteries
  • Ideal for vehicles with multiple power demands
  • AGM Technology - non-spillable, non-gassing & maintenance-free
  • Commonly used in Mazda, Nissan and more

Specifications
  • Item Number: SLI35AGMDP
  • Brand: X2Power
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 35
  • Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
  • Capacity: 60AH
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 740
  • WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
  • Battery Type: Ultimate
  • Capacity 20hr: 60AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Color: Blue Top
  • Cranking Amps: 880
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Made in the USA: True
  • Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
  • Product Sub Category: Premium AGM
  • Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
  • Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
  • Weight: 45.6 lbs
  • Length: 9.45 in
  • Width: 6.59 in
  • Height: 8.54 in

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for your reply. I just got back from the tire shop I bought the battery from. He called his Interstate contact and said I needed the next one up, the MTP-35 model not the MT 35 they initially sold me. This is going to be painful for the next few months - they're not going to credit me back but instead upsell me (but just $20 more). I just hope it doesn't damage my car. They did offer to test the alternator when I get the new one in - just to make sure it's working fine so I'll be back there in about 2 hours.

I still don't believe they realize the issue. I bet in three month, they'll sell me the premium one, the MTX-35 if I end up brining it back.
Same issue, need the Mazda Q85 battery. From what I read i think the only Interstate battery that will replace OEM is the MTX-35 which is an AGM battery. Did the M-35HC or MTP-35 work for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same issue, need the Mazda Q85 battery. From what I read i think the only Interstate battery that will replace OEM is the MTX-35 which is an AGM battery. Did the M-35HC or MTP-35 work for you?
Hi - yes, so far it's running well with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts