Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but did you purchase a relay harness for the fogs? Seems like installing a relay harnesses are more of an opinion rather than facts. Yes its better to have it, no its not required. Sort of like is it required to wipe after taking a dump, no. Strongly suggested, yes :)

One other thing, where did you mount the ballast for the fogs? Is there an easy location to zip tie them too?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looking at the Owners Manual, my 2010 has 51w 9006 fog light bulbs stock. The H11 55w comes on the MS3 only. Without going to HID, has anyone replaced the stock wattage fog light bulb with another to make them brighter? I also agree with above that the headlights and fog lights are aimed a little too low. The fog light is barely seen, and the low beam headlights leave that black spot in the distance on the pavement while driving. Headlights can be adjusted, right?

I really need to get a Factory Service Manual.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I really need to get a Factory Service Manual.
Here you go: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2010_Mazda3_OM.pdf

As for aiming, just be careful when doing this. I always see that one d-bag who decided to aim his lights himself, one headlight is blinding bright and the other is aimed low.

I just ordered a 35W, 3k HID fog light off amazon (Innovited or something like that). I will post pics once completed. Oh and I did not buy the relay harness, going to wing it.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok got them installed and not exactly crazy about the look. To be honest, I cant even tell they are on since the fogs are aimed so low. I found this video on adjusting the fogs and am wondering if anyone else has experience with doing this or else have a suggestion that doesn't require removing the entire front bumper?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948h8aOzQPQ

Overall I am less than impressed with the lights. They really arent as yellow as I was hoping they were going to be. They almost appear to be a washed out yellow instead of an intense, bold yellow. Not sure if I had too high of expectations or if I just bought crappy lights.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try adding them, aiming them using that garage door. keep them lower than the headlights. I aimed mine this weekend, and it made a big difference. I'll eventually upgrade to Halogens, for a better light pattern.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't have a 2014 but if that video shows how to do it, then follow it if your model is the same. Looks similar to how mine adjust.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't have a 2014
Ahh derp, should have read your signature.

I will repost with some pics if I get into it. Always struggle wrenching on these plastic bumpers though, especially on a 2015 lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No problem, but watching that video, makes it seem very simple to do. Mine were aimed way too low.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So I have come to this conclusion, the method for adjusting these appears to be the same by manipulating the assembly then tightening the screw back to hold it but I believe the model in that video is the HID package for the 3s, not the halogen ones I have in my 3i. I tried to pull on the fog light assembly from the front a little last night and really couldnt get it to budge without feeling like I was going to pull the entire bumper off. I am leaning towards saying that I need to pull the bumper or access the rear side through the wheel well to find this adjustment screw.

I might give the dealer a call and see what they say, couldn't hurt I guess? I am really hesitant to "pave the way" with it but the fogs are just pointless right now.
@Turn9 - did you pull your fog light cover off from the front, outside the bumper? Or did you drop the bumper off or access from the back side?

·
Registered
185 Posts
@Turn9 - did you pull your fog light cover off from the front, outside the bumper? Or did you drop the bumper off or access from the back side?
I removed the lower lip 3 screws (on each side), then removed the front 3 inner fender well screws and inserts (also on each side), all he drop down the lower panels, this gave me access to the fog light bulbs. I did not need to jack up the car to replace my bulbs. Easily less than 15 minutes for the first time doing this. I have the factory fog lights. There is an adjustment bolt (10mm) that can be loosened to aim the housings up and down. Also within that 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Did you release the tabs for the filler from behind, then pull it out from the front?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you release the tabs for the filler from behind, then pull it out from the front?
No I didnt. Guess I am just wondering if the adjustment needs to be performed from the front of the fog light assembly or if access from the front wheel fender liner is sufficient. Little unclear about that.

Sounds to me like there are some tabs that need to be cut in order to allow the assembly freely move.

Fast forward to the 1 min mark, I think this is what I need to do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRveCzt-Bx4

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
From what I gathered, the bolt may be in a "track" to keep it centered. I think he shaved off a little of that to get it to love farther and not pop back into the track.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
From what I gathered, the bolt may be in a "track" to keep it centered.
You are exactly correct.

So I got the cover to come off exactly the same way as described in the youtube video there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRveCzt-Bx4). Just start up in the top corner and kind of pry it loose.

After that I took the path of just removing the 3 phillips screws holding the fog light assembly in. You will need to do this regardless since you have to clip the plastic piece holding the adjustment bolt in place just as @GerryBuc mentioned. It is a very thin piece of plastic that I just used a box cutter to tear off.

At this point, you can slide the adjustment bolt up or down in direction, depending on what you are hoping to do. I moved mine all the way up. Once you position the bolt where you want, tighten it back up. Reassemble in reverse order, done!

Here is a picture with the parts labeled. Its for a fog lights on a Miata off eBay but it is pretty similar and should give others looking to do this the picture:

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Bittner It'll be pretty blinding for oncoming traffic if you aimed them all the way up, especially with HIDs in the fog lights. I adjusted mine up just a tad, enough to see the light blend in with the low beam, and that was when I had halogen fogs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
@Bittner It'll be pretty blinding for oncoming traffic if you aimed them all the way up, especially with HIDs in the fog lights.
Yea I was kinda thinking the same thing. Now when I turn them on, they will wash out maybe 50% of my low beams. It hard to find a happy medium. Not to mention, the fogs arent projector housing so the light is going everywhere.

I have the original pictures from when I installed them, I will try and get a comparison of what they look like put "up" all the way and then something in between the two.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts