Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Mazda 3 - Mexico Build.
Noises from car, at start of acceleration and throughout driving.
Mechanic diagnosed it as the lower control arms.
eh, does that really look that bad???

I thought it would be a simple bushing replacement and done.
So I bought #3 bushing from Autozone to save some money -why not replace both on both sides.

- Do not get these from Autozone - they sent me the wrong ones.
After trying to hunt down #4 in the diagram - its impossible. Went to the dealership

Dealership tells me they do not sell that bushing separately.

According to Mazda dealership you have to replace the entire front Lower Control Arm when this bushing
(#4 in the diagrams) starts to fail.

He points to their computer diagram and because it was surrounded by a box - thus the only way to buy it? WTF.

Any advice. I ended up ordering MEVOTECH Control Arms from RockAuto.
$75 a piece instead of OEM Lower Control Arms for $160 a piece.

I'll confirm tomorrow - but I think already the ball joints on the left control arm has already failed.

A very strong loud strain noise sound when the car is a deep turn, a mild turn up a mild hill driveway produced a loud 1 second CRUNCH METAL sound.

Is this just the way it is with Mazda? Or am I getting bad info from the dealership goon.
Why have diagrams showing the bushings separate - if its not sold separate.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, usually entire lower control arm has to be replaced. I put the Mevotech on an 08 that my daughter drives, they seem fine. Did you load suspension before tightening up the arm bolts?

·
Registered
589 Posts
They may not "look" bad, but under the proper conditions they most likely have play. It's easier and cheaper to replace the entire arm and, as was noted, pre-load before finalizing the torque. The rears are different in that a pronounced banging noise will emanate from the rear of the car when traversing bumps. I purchased the bushings and also the proper press to change those. The improvements in ride and handling were night and day.

Reactions: Deadfish

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called for prices on the lower control arm from the dealership- and for some reason the left one is more expensive then the right one?
He said it's out of his control its whatever the price is set in the system. Meh.
I'm not happy with the MEVOTECH control arms - in a few short radius turns it felt like as if when you roll your own ankle.
I should have just paid for the OEM parts - so at this point its probably just as expensive if I just let the dealer do the work from the start. But I didnt know till I tried these parts. Disappointed - hoping rockauto gives me a refund or store credit or something.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is wrong with your Mevotech, many have used without issues. Did you load suspension before torquing bolts. If not, all bets are off on longevity.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I called for prices on the lower control arm from the dealership- and for some reason the left one is more expensive then the right one?
He said it's out of his control its whatever the price is set in the system. Meh.
I'm not happy with the MEVOTECH control arms - in a few short radius turns it felt like as if when you roll your own ankle.
I should have just paid for the OEM parts - so at this point its probably just as expensive if I just let the dealer do the work from the start. But I didnt know till I tried these parts. Disappointed - hoping rockauto gives me a refund or store credit or something.
You may just need to get an alignment. Whenever I've replaced those arms on my 08 the toe a little off and needed to be adjusted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At least your dealership is not price gouging.. I found out the power Mazda in Salem Oregon is charging $80 more for some parts then Gladstone Mazda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

You should be able to get the part from Sidem :

Regards,

IceSmacker

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hello.

You should be able to get the part from Sidem :

Regards,

IceSmacker
OP lives in the US and I don't think that company sells there, at least not in a way that is easy to acquire their parts. I work in the automotive repair industry and I've never even heard of them before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts