Looked good though. car running well?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
woulda had more top end on 17s ;)

See that's my dilemma right there. We gotta bring two sets of tires now :(

Looked good though. car running well?
I hear ya, but that raises the car 1", is heavier, and noticeably slows down acceleration so that extra top end with the 17's comes at a cost. I rarely see a course quite that fast. My rev limiter bounces at 7,000. If I bumped it to 7,500 I think I could have my cake and eat it too so to speak. The only question mark is will this engine with 175,000 miles on it tolerate it.

Thanks, yeah, car is running well and feeling good. Want to try stiffer springs in the back, add the header/high flow cat, and do the tune....but even without those things it's feeling pretty good right now. Hope to have at least 1/3 of those things done before Lincoln, but it just comes down to whether I have time or not.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Course Designs

Adam, please send some of your course designs and/or course designers out west. Locally the "feature of choice" seems to be many different variations of "slaloms". We lovingly refer to some of them as "slalom until you puke".:shocked:

I'd LOVE to run something along the lines of a mini road course. Always been my personal favorite.:mj:

Please?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Adam, please send some of your course designs and/or course designers out west. Locally the "feature of choice" seems to be many different variations of "slaloms". We lovingly refer to some of them as "slalom until you puke".:shocked:

I'd LOVE to run something along the lines of a mini road course. Always been my personal favorite.:mj:

Please?
Haha, I'll see what I can do ;). I've noticed STL often likes to have a very flowing setup that often feels like a mini road course.

Next weekend heading up to Chicago for some more fun. Doing my own little local event "tour."

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Did Chicago Region event #2 yesterday. More of a tight and technical course than STL and a tough course to master. Never left the course with a run I was truly satisfied with. Despite that, ended up with a pretty good result. These tires are carry overs from last year and just about toast.

Pax

http://scca-chicago.com/wp-content/uploads/event-2-pax.htm

Class

http://scca-chicago.com/wp-content/uploads/event-2-fin.htm

Driver side video, action starts at 1:50 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAkiAN6H5-s&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
406 Posts
Finally, first autocross of the year and first in 6 months! Obviously really rusty, especially on the brakes, and now starting the 3rd season on the Hankooks(right at 120 runs + many road miles). I put together one decent run, but coned it. That run would've put me at 54.788 Pax time if clean. Still happy with my effort.

Pax: http://ccrscca.com/results/2014solo/ax3contesto_pax.htm
Class: http://ccrscca.com/results/2014solo/ax3contesto_fin.htm
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpK3o0CKFb8

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Nice job! Almost a 3 tenths lead, too.

Lincoln should be really fun. 13 in the Pro and 15 in the Tour so far. Great numbers. Lots of Minnesotans in STF for some reason.
Thanks Justin, the car is feeling good and starting to get dialed in which helps. There is still a lot to do development wise, but I'm going to resist the urge to make any more changes (other than slapping some much needed fresh rubber on) before heading to Lincoln here in a few days.

Yeah, the numbers for Spring Nats look great (for STF at least) and I can't wait, should be a lot of fun catching up and talking with you guys in person. Glad to hear STF is catching on in MN, classes are still light around here.

·
Registered
603 Posts
why the move back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
2014 - results so far.

Some results:
Ran weekend before last here in Columbus and won the SMF class at out Great Lakes Regional Event.

Ran this past weekend and finished 2nd in class (0.30 out) behind a more prepared Civic - no rear seat etc.

I'm still driving 60 miles a day and haven't gone on a lightening spree. Plus my kids appreciate the backseats. :)

Had serious issues at the first event with the Hoosiers rubbing against the coil over spring seat. I added a 8mm spacer and RX8 wheels studs for event #2 and ended up with about 1/16" of clearance on either side of the tire.

Expecting to get faster as I sort the car out. Also my newly installed sway bar and tri-point links started clunking after the first event. I want to adjust the bar before this weekend, at the same time I'll go thru it and make sure everything is snug.

Alan

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I got my tripoint links, I discovered that, while they appeared to be fully assembled, the bolt through the upper heim joint and saddle were not torqued, only finger tight. I didn't notice because they had nylock nuts. Hit everything with a torque wrench and you should be good.

Edit: you're in smf, not stf. So I guess you can remove your rear seats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Philly area autocross

Just finish an Autocross in Glasgow DE. First is class STX. ('08 MS3 GT)
Mods include the following:
JBR Rear sway bar
Koni Yellows
COBB blue springs
CP/e rear motor mount
Cobb Short ram intake
Hypertech tune
Cobb shifter weight
Shifter bushings
stock wheels with BF Goodrich Rivals 225x18

Next race for me June 14th.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have no pictures to qualify for the other thread, so I sought this thread out.

Camped out Saturday night and ran at NHMS on Sunday. The Rally Against Leukemia is a fantastic event. I will definitely reserve Saturday well in advance next year. We shaved someone's head and even raised some money for it too.

Broke my both driver's side rear bar bushing bracket bolts off on Saturday morning though. <3 alliteration. </3 corrosion. Rear sway bar and co. join the pile of broken fasteners and the 2 exhaust tunnel braces that already fell off the car last winter.

Morning runs:
34.114+DNF 34.714 34.142 34.311
I disagree with the DNF. The next 3 or 4 people also had DNFs, so I think it was just worker confusion. The tiny lot was definitely easier on gearing, but I miss Devens. I am spoiled.

Afternoon runs:
34.689 33.986+1 34.092 33.111
Some wise sages were talking about a few places where the uneven pavement was causing over rotation. That was basically what I had none of. The announcer was giving a few bits of advice as I was about to launch so I tried to use it all. Every time I hit one of those uneven spots I brake checked and, low and behold, around I would go. It helped out immensely on a 90 degree, a 180 degree and before this nasty "clamshell" thing.

One of these days I'll stop blaming the car...

I was worrying about rolling over my tires a bit. The tread triangle wore off the fronts on both pairs over 2 events. I'm guessing my car is min 3100lbs: 3000 curb+chris+dynamat-spare-jack. There was a Fiesta ST running the same tire and size and he had darn near rounded them over, so I don't feel as bad now. That being said...the inside 1.5" of tread is darn near virgin. Silly camber.

edit: Oh yeah- ran in STF along with a Mazda2 (who summarily pwned me). There was a pretty neat demo Focus running that day too. Springs, adjustable rear and 235s on 19x9.5s. He was behind me, so I didn't an entire run. I did see his opening slalom as I was exiting though, and he was darn nimble in that thing. Really tight line. He changed himself to STX at the end. As soon as he did I realized there was no one in SMF that day...I should have changed. 1 entry, 1 trophy. Didn't think of it. d'oh.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Morning runs:
34.114+DNF 34.714 34.142 34.311
I disagree with the DNF. The next 3 or 4 people also had DNFs, so I think it was just worker confusion.
No, all the DNF's were legit. Most of the early ones were people going to the right of the last cone in the slalom before the first 180.

Afternoon runs:
34.689 33.986+1 34.092 33.111
Some wise sages were talking about a few places where the uneven pavement was causing over rotation. That was basically what I had none of. The announcer was giving a few bits of advice as I was about to launch so I tried to use it all.
That announcer would be me. :)

NHMS is a bumpy lot. You need to know where the bad parts are and where the 'creases' are or you in for a bad day.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Woa, nice pax position!

I broke into the top 100 pax...99th. :eh:

morning 77.638 75.621 76.630
a'ternoon 75.362 76.254 74.201+1

off leader in class +3.546, who had a 68.252
the 3 locals in front of me all had 71.x

And I now know the frustration of having coned away my best run of the day- first element after the start, right after a good intro, and when PZ had the mic. I heard from a Mazda2 that there may have been some mild but deserv-ed roasting. A learning experience.

Definitely had some progress on driving the line and using lateral grip vs. driving the throttle and wheelspin. All on the first 2/3rds of today's course layout: 1 hairpin, 2 straight slaloms but offset of each other, and a strange set of 3 cone walls. The last 1/3 of the course seemed fine by comparison, as long as you were looking way ahead. The last pointer was a bit of a kink. My car likes a straight line start/finish, and this was not. I was geared well for it though.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts