Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Brand new to this forum. As the title says, my 2014 Mazda3 S Grand Touring is experiencing signification oil consumption. As in: multiple quarts within a year's time. No exhaust smoke, and no leaks. I'm getting around 20-22 mpg gallon in the city. I live in San Diego, so there is very little temperature fluctuation.

I'm HOPING that this could just be a PCV Valve. Could this be the only problem?

Else, I suppose the other issues could be the piston rings (UGH!!!!) or bad Valve Guide Seals.

If it turns out the issue is the former.... What might I be looking at cost-wise for repairs? (Thousands, I'm guessing). How about if it's Valve Guide Seal replacement? Would that be less?

Finally, I do feel like the engine does make those clicking sounds at idle.

Is there ANY chance a PCV valve could be causing this? I've also read that I could potentially improve the problem.

I'm also using 0W-20 synthetic which is pretty darn thin. I've read that switching to conventional oil could also help. Is this true?

Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
Do not under any circumstances switch to conventional oil, your engine was designed to be exclusively operated on synthetic. As for what the issues is with your engine, you'll need more diagnostics to figure out whether it is rings and/or valves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts