Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got word as to when the Mazda3 will be released in the USA? I was told September and that the first initial run of 2014 Mazda 3's will come from Japan. Then by early 2014 the Mazda 3's will come out of the Mexico plant.

Personally, I would prefer a Japanese built Mazda3 over a Mexican built Mazda3.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Anyone got word as to when the Mazda3 will be released in the USA? I was told September and that the first initial run of 2014 Mazda 3's will come from Japan. Then by early 2014 the Mazda 3's will come out of the Mexico plant.

Personally, I would prefer a Japanese built Mazda3 over a Mexican built Mazda3.
Personally I don't think it matters that much where the final assembly happens. I agree I'd rather have 'the real deal' if the price was the same, but in theory the price should drop a lot for the ones coming out of mexico and the car is still going to be identical as it is built to japanese spec.

Something that probably would concern me is if I started taking things apart and finding 'Made in Mexico' stickers on all the electronics too...

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
lol the electronics will still all be coming from Japan.
Mexico plant should be a VERY good thing for both Mazda Japan AND Mexico.

Don't expect the price to drop much if any; but the advantage will be finally Mazda gets to see some profit instead of spending a fortune to ship cars over and see no profit, if even break even.

I've been hearing about mid-late September, no hard date yet, but should have an idea here shortly.

I am supposed to be setting up a "release party" of some sorts with my local group, but... it's kind of hard to plan for something I don't know anything about / know when it will be lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The problem is that the Made in Mexico Mazda3 will contain Made in Mexico 2.0L and 2.5L SkyActive engines. This according to the press releases. Quality Control is a HUGE factor in how reliable a car is. Parts are parts but if the one assembling them doesn't take the same steps, one can end up with an unreliable car.

There are stats which show Made in Japan cars have overall better reliability than Made in Mexico cars, both the same manufacturer, make and model.

One thing I do hope for is that Mazda finally FIXED the A/C problems that plagued so many 2004-2012 Mazda3's. The stupid AC compressor failures were a PIA to deal with. Hopefully Mazda got a better source for their compressors and bumped up the capacity, as they were under 1LB total. Most cars are 1.5 and 2 LBS.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
There are stats which show Mazda in Japan cars have overall better reliability than Made in Mexico cars, both the same manufacturer, make and model
I'm assuming you meant to say 'cars made in japan '.There are stats to show anything, and there are a lot of factors involved.

Japanese QC is supposed to be overseeing the mexican plant... and keep in mind no manufacturer WANTS their quality to go down (hurts their reputation) therefore they will do everything they can to ensure that it wont.

Random example - aircraft parts. Did you know planes flying around, which have the highest level of quality control, have chinese parts on them? These same planes have parts from all over the world, and I can tell you that just because it is made in a country that has a bad rep, doesn't mean anything... they can just as easily outperform parts from the US/Europe/etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming you meant to say 'cars made in japan '.There are stats to show anything, and there are a lot of factors involved.

Japanese QC is supposed to be overseeing the mexican plant... and keep in mind no manufacturer WANTS their quality to go down (hurts their reputation) therefore they will do everything they can to ensure that it wont.

Random example - aircraft parts. Did you know planes flying around, which have the highest level of quality control, have chinese parts on them? These same planes have parts from all over the world, and I can tell you that just because it is made in a country that has a bad rep, doesn't mean anything... they can just as easily outperform parts from the US/Europe/etc.
Yes, I meant to say "cars Made in Japan." I do agree nobody wants QC problems but they are inevitable with new factories and new workers. These will be new Mexican workers and there is a learning curve, cultural curve and a host of other issues that comes with new plants and new workers.

At least the initial run of 2014 Mazda3's will come out of Japan probably until April/May 2014, at which time some will start to trickle out of Mexico. By 2015 all Mazda3's will be coming out of Mexico.

Time will tell which Mazda3 will be better; the Japanese built or the Mexican built.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I want one built in Japan. So I'm hope to try to buy a 2014 this year before it goes to mexico. My wife is from Japan and this car will be for her so there is a lots of meaning for her and me that its built in Japan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 Protege 5 and absolutely love it, but it's had its run and time to buy a new car. I really like the exterior of the 2013 Mazda 3, but I'm not too happy with the interior.

The electronics are so outdated, even the radio can't read the song name and artist from a CD.

The seats aren't very comfortable, they seem hard compared to other cars I've looked at in the same class as the 3, like the Hyundai Elantra GT. Anyone else have any comments about the seats? Even my kids think they are not comfortable, and we tried a few different ones, not just the one that I'd buy.

Lastly, I'm not happy with all the hard plastic, especially on the doors. I think the whole panel on the back doors is hard plastic. My 2003 P5 has nice cloth and leather on the doors, very comfy seats, and hard rubber on the dash.

I love the Indigo Lights color and exterior, so if it wasn't for the interior parts that I don't like, I would have snatched one up already!

I've been looking at the 2014 Mazda 3, but they changed the exterior big time and it sounds like they dropped the awesome color Indigo Lights! Ugh! Maybe I'll have to go red, if I can get used to the different exterior. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts