Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a used 2014 Mazda Axela as my first car and I'm trying to do some preventative maintenance as I have disposable cash.

I'm thinking to do a coolant flush/change but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on how much coolant I will need.
Important note, I can't seem to source the FL22 coolant anywhere locally and there are no office dealership in my country that I can go to (3rd world country) so I need to purchase and ship the coolant in, hence why I'm looking to buy the correct amount in one shipment because I will not be able to just run out and grab more if it turns out I don't have enought after a drain.

Can anyone say how much liters / gallons i'll need to do a proper flush and refil?
Or just a drain and fill?

· Registered
184 Posts
Few things...

Looking at my 2007 service manual, the maintenance recommendation for Mexico, which should be more similar to yours, is first coolant drain at 10 years (or 190,000 kilometers) and thereafter ever 3 years (or 60,000 kilometers). So, I think you are in fine shape.

It is way too much work to do a complete flush. The best thing is just drain the radiator and refill. If you do this every few years you will be fine. Either use premixed 50/50 coolant/water or if you go with concentrated coolant, you will need an equivalent amount of distilled water to get it to 50/50.

The cooling system capacity is 7.5L, so you probably need half that to drain the radiator. If you aren't sure you bought enough, just be careful and drain the old it into a clean pan so you could add some of the old back to top off the system if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts