Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
YAYYYYY!!!!!! And VW is gone too.

So SCCA screwing toyo out of the street classes pissed them off I would guess.

Rumor is Hankook will look like BFG now and pay in tires...which is good. Bad news for me is BFG now needs 5 people. But Mazda went UP to $300 from $250 for a tour :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wish Kumho would hurry up with the V720. Their contingency program is pretty decent, but I'm not so sure the XS can get it done. Maybe Adam has some thoughts on that?

·
Registered
603 Posts
The XS was crap on the mini IMO...it's over 0.5 slower than the BFG easy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The XS was crap on the mini IMO...it's over 0.5 slower than the BFG easy.
I know they're garbage on our local lots, but they seem to like heat, which isn't a bad thing at Lincoln.

Greg Reno was doing great on the XS at Spring Nats. It's hard to tell how much of that was the "Reno" factor, and how much was the tires. If you compare his results to other consistent drivers, he was definitely fast. I never heard what he thought of the tires though.

I think Adam tried them, too. Maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I wish Kumho would hurry up with the V720. Their contingency program is pretty decent, but I'm not so sure the XS can get it done. Maybe Adam has some thoughts on that?
I ran on the XS at Nats last year. Big reason being I was no longer happy running 225/50/16 tires (they are both too tall and too wide for the 16x6.5" wheel on the Mazda).

Kumho makes a 215/45/16 tire that is nearly 1.5" shorter and also 2-3 lbs lighter (per tire) than the 225/50/16. That is what I ran. I talked to Reno about the tire at Blytheville, he said he liked them. Talked to Hollis about them and he said they are still a good tire and underrated. I like'em too, maybe not the fastest tire anymore, but when it comes to tires "size does matter."

Considering they came out in 2008, the fact that they can still mix it up with the best tires at all is amazing to me. If any of the new top crop of street tires would have been available in the smaller/shorter tire I would have been on them, but they weren't so I went Kumho.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I guess the question is, does anyone think they can get in the top 3 with the Kumho?

Payouts (in product credit) for any Tour or Pro:

1st: $600
2nd: $400
3rd: $300

Those are pretty generous, but... you still have to win.

I'm hoping Hankook will announce the details for their program soon. If the compound in the new RS3 might be any improvement at all, I'll more than likely order a set to test.

I've also been thinking about the AD08R. It was released mid-season last year, so wasn't legal for 2013 use. I've got one local customer who tried them and loved them. Haven't heard much else though. At the very least, it seems to be a pretty versatile tire. No contingency though.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
So I guess the question is, does anyone think they can get in the top 3 with the Kumho?

Payouts (in product credit) for any Tour or Pro:

1st: $600
2nd: $400
3rd: $300

Those are pretty generous, but... you still have to win.

I'm hoping Hankook will announce the details for their program soon. If the compound in the new RS3 might be any improvement at all, I'll more than likely order a set to test.

I've also been thinking about the AD08R. It was released mid-season last year, so wasn't legal for 2013 use. I've got one local customer who tried them and loved them. Haven't heard much else though. At the very least, it seems to be a pretty versatile tire. No contingency though.
If Kumho made the XS in a 225/45/15 I would consider using them because that is awesome contingency. But they don't so they are not even on my radar. You have to ask yourself, do you want to shoot for top 3 and score some awesome contingency or do you want to go as fast and do as well as you possibly can? Because a lot of times the same tire is not the answer to both questions :) Is the XS slower than today's top tires? Probably so for most drivers. Can a superstar driver like Reno overcome that? Certainly, especially if the benefits (better size) outweigh or at least neutralize the downside (outdated design and compound).

·
Registered
603 Posts
I tried the X# in the 215/45-16 on the mini and wasn't impressed. It was ok...but not as good as the BFG, Hankook, Dunlop or toyo.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I might get a set of 15s to test on my car and see if I like them. Mainly I'll be using them for my r comps for BMW events...anyone wanna buy them at the end of the year? ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I tried the X# in the 215/45-16 on the mini and wasn't impressed. It was ok...but not as good as the BFG, Hankook, Dunlop or toyo.
For me it seemed the 215/45/16 Kumho's were a pick and a poke in HS. I think the gearing and lightweight helped, but the tire is simply yesterday's technology so it neutralized the gearing/weight benefit. A Rival for instance in that size would have been faster I'm sure.

I might get a set of 15s to test on my car and see if I like them. Mainly I'll be using them for my r comps for BMW events...anyone wanna buy them at the end of the year? ;)
I really would, I mean no no terrible idea :grin: I have the 225/45/15 Rivals on 15x7.5" wheels and it transformed the car. Not only will it out accelerate 225/45/17's, my CG is 1" less, and my wheel and tire weighs 33 lbs combined. Try that with 17's :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The only downsides to the 15s set up is brakes (ms3 calipers) and heat.
I'll just be blunt, I think the MS3 calipers are a waste of time/money especially for autocross. You're trying to solve a problem that wasn't there.....the 2.0L and the 2.3L big brake cars (in particular) never had a lack of braking power especially with the right pads and if there is any extra heat capability with the MS3 calipers you'll never see it simply because you'll never get the brakes hot enough in an autocross environment. You may have a different position (especially if you've already invested) but that is my opinion on big brake kits.

I've only done 3-4 events so far on the 15" Rivals and no problems at all yet, however temps were mild. That actually might be another advantage (quicker to warm up when temps are mild) however they may be quicker to overheat as you mentioned when ambient temps really start to climb. Solutions? Generously spray tires. Dump your co-driver if you have one. RS3's :) Between those 3 solutions overheating shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
464 Posts
No you make a really good point. Obviously I have some bias since I already own them and have them installed, and I keep going back and fourth on whether or not to sell them and go back to stock with yellowstuff or something like that. The weight isn't too considerable IIRC, but there is definitely an improvment in braking force, granted that's with the hawk HPS pads so I figure it'll be overkill with some decent pads and the ms3 calipers.

Now that it has been brought to my attention again, I'm leaning towards the stock setup once more. But I still don't see myself getting 15s, maybe it's just an appearance thing, I don't know. It's probably the same reason I like the bigger brakes. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
No you make a really good point. Obviously I have some bias since I already own them and have them installed, and I keep going back and fourth on whether or not to sell them and go back to stock with yellowstuff or something like that. The weight isn't too considerable IIRC, but there is definitely an improvment in braking force, granted that's with the hawk HPS pads so I figure it'll be overkill with some decent pads and the ms3 calipers.
Correct, OEM rotors and calipers with (EBC Yellowstuff for instance) would give you all the braking power and heat capability you could ever use and then some. As is typically the case, brakes are not the limiting factor here in stopping, it's your tires grip with the ground. I can already easily lock up tires (both street and rcomp) with my current setup so adding more braking power makes no sense what so ever and I'd just be adding more weight to the car as you mentioned which we know is not good. There is a reason why the Street Touring rules state you can go bigger, but you can't go smaller. The real performance advantage is going the opposite of bigger in most cases ;)

Now that it has been brought to my attention again, I'm leaning towards the stock setup once more. But I still don't see myself getting 15s, maybe it's just an appearance thing, I don't know. It's probably the same reason I like the bigger brakes. :dunno:
Well, you have to ask yourself do you want to look "cool" or go fast? Personally, I think the car will look great dropped on a set of 15's. Bigger wheels might be what is trendy, but often times they hurt performance. Same thing on the big brakes, they might impress the "kiddies" on Mazda3forums that say "bro" a lot, but you're not impressing the hardcore autocross guys :).

·
Registered
464 Posts
yeah yeah yeah, you've convinced me... about the brakes.

Getting me to buy 15s is going to be tough. Just for shits and giggles, anyone know what model you need to search to browse 15x7.5 wheels? On tirerack that is.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts

Getting me to buy 15s is going to be tough. Just for shits and giggles, anyone know what model you need to search to browse 15x7.5 wheels? On tirerack that is.
Didn't the base model 04-09's (sport, no options) come with 15" steelies and hubcaps?

I don't know honestly, wife has a sedan iTouring with 16" alloys, and I've always had hatches that come with 17's.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well it looks like I am the only 3 that is staying in H-Street. Not sure what I am doing for tires this year yet. Probably going to come down to the ZII's in a 225/45-16 or the Rivals in a 225/50-16. Leaning towards the ZII's even though it is a bit of a pinch.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

I don't think there is one single 15x7.5"wheel with our bolt pattern on Tirerack's website. They do have 15x7.

15x7.5 with a 114.3x5 bolt pattern is very hard to come by. Rota makes Slipstreams in that size, but you can only get them through a place called "18 Racing."

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well it looks like I am the only 3 that is staying in H-Street. Not sure what I am doing for tires this year yet. Probably going to come down to the ZII's in a 225/45-16 or the Rivals in a 225/50-16. Leaning towards the ZII's even though it is a bit of a pinch.

they're only a few dollars more per tire, but I know what you mean. I keep considering the rivals.

That's the other thing about 15s, not enough options available :|

21 - 40 of 101 Posts