Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed some HID's on the wifey's Mazda 3. It was as easy as changing out the H11 headlight bulb! IF you're thinking about switching to Sylvania Ultras or Silverstars, forget about it. Just purchase some inexpensive HID's. They're cheaper than Sylvania whatevers and blow those away. I just bought some inexpensive one's from ebay. OPT7 HIDs in H11 bulbs and 6000K for $35.98 shipped from BurkeMotopros. IF these last like the DDM tunings, then it's well worth it. I didn't go DDM tuning since they only use the slim ballast now. I prefer the full size ballast. Seems like they have less flickering and not working issues (in my opinion). Sylvanias usually only last me six months to a year and cost more.

It was the easiest HID conversion ever with this kit! Not sure if it was the kit or H11 setup. No option A or B like DDM tuning, no extra wires, no need for a ground wire. Just PLUG N' PLAY! I haven't decided if this will be the final location for the ballast, but for now it will do. Just used the double sided sticky pads that were included with the kit. Just lefty loosey, the stock halogens and righty tighty the HID H11 bulbs. DONT TOUCH THE HID BULBS WITH YOUR FINGERS, try not to handle the HID bulbs due to grease or oils from skin causes it to burn out quicker.

You say... :worthless-1 1:

Before:

During:
One half of the HID kit. only plug unplugged is the one going to the stock harness...

Driver's side (big plug clip up).

Passenger side (big plug clip down).

Driver's side with HID and passenger side stock halogens.

After:

Hope that helps out with those on the fence or is worried about difficulty of installation. BTW, my first official post here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the same or cheaper than OEM replacement halogen bulbs, it's really not bad. However, if you want see a substantial improvement in lighting quality, get a HID projector and swap those in. You'll see substantially more road since the HID projectors will spread the light out far more evenly rather than just focusing it all in the center like it is now.

Here's a good idea of what you can expect:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I'm new to these forums and appreciate the great pictures you've shown of your HID conversion LongRX7. They clearly demonstrate what a great difference in visibility they have added to your night vision and I'm tempted to do the same to mine. My only concern is I don't want to cause glare to other drivers.

Since I'm new to HID technology, what is a HID projector and where would I find one to fit my 2013 M3 HB?

Best regards,
Trem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
YW Trem, wouldn't call them great pics, but iphone pics nonetheless. I didn't see too much difference in glare from stock halogens when looking from head on. And if it is too much glare for you, putting stock halogens on is super easy and you're not out a lot money :)

HID projectors as far as I know, spreads the light beam better, but they cost a lot more and require more work than I have time for or care to spend on at the moment. here's a source for them, I think.... http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php
Hope that helps.

BTW, just got a chance to do some night driving with the HID's last night and they work great and might have gotten whiter lighting. I chose 6000K cause I just wanted a hint of blue in the light. If you want it whiter or near daylight, go with 4300K or 5000K. No offense to anyone, I wouldn't want to go above 6000K due to it starting to look ricey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased the same model you did so I'll give them a shot as-is. If I feel they blind oncoming traffic I'll try contacting The Retrofit Source and finding a set I can install without modifying my stock headlights (if possible).

Thanks for all the input and shedding some HID light on the subject! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should be simple install and if you don't like them...not much money lost :) On to my next project...replacing interior lights with LED's, map lights and dome lights. I guess the glove box too. Will have to see what to do about the trunk light, though, one tiny T5 bulb doesn't seem like much lighting for a whole trunk.

LED interior lights make the whole interior whiter, instead of a dingy yellow lighting :) In my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the same kit you bought and it arrived today. I'm going to install it this weekend and see how it looks. :)

Should be simple install and if you don't like them...not much money lost :) On to my next project...replacing interior lights with LED's, map lights and dome lights. I guess the glove box too. Will have to see what to do about the trunk light, though, one tiny T5 bulb doesn't seem like much lighting for a whole trunk.

LED interior lights make the whole interior whiter, instead of a dingy yellow lighting :) In my opinion.
I *HIGHLY* recommend the CorkSport kit - that was the first upgrade I installed and it makes an incredible difference. They put out a nice bright light and look sharp.

Price is great too at $39.99
CORKSPORT LED Light Kit 2010-Up Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazda 3

The link above has some great pictures which demonstrate the difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great write up! I was curious what 6000k bulbs would look like in my 2010 hatch .. I have the oem hid's so this shouldn't be very hard for me to do

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh I converted all my interior lights to LEDs also but I went with green.. And added more blue lights to the floor panel to come on while driving

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sticktuner, don't put 6000K bulbs in the OEM bixenons. You will lose a fair amount of light output and it will likely distort the beam pattern because you can only use aftermarket bulbs which will sometimes have alignment issues. If you want whiter light while also being brighter, look into Osram CBIs. They are expensive but well worth the investment

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I currently have a 2013 Mazda3 Skyactiv Touring model. I'm curious do the stock headlamps support HID bulbs? I already ordered an H11 bulb type with 6000K color temp. Should I have no problem replacing these?

·
Registered
84 Posts
For the same or cheaper than OEM replacement halogen bulbs, it's really not bad. However, if you want see a substantial improvement in lighting quality, get a HID projector and swap those in. You'll see substantially more road since the HID projectors will spread the light out far more evenly rather than just focusing it all in the center like it is now.

Here's a good idea of what you can expect:
What HID projector lens do you have? I'm having difficulty finding one that is specifically designed for the Mazda3 BL application. I want to make sure I don't need to drill any new holes and custom fit the new projectors into the assembly, just unbolt the old lenses, bolt on the new lenses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0's, XB35 D2S 4300k bulbs, AMP>D2S adapter, OCI Butyl Rubber Glue and High beam splitters to engage the solenoid for the bi-xenon function in the MD2S'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interested in doing this to my 13'. My question is this.....I was reading that the 6000k, you actually lose light output vs. the 4300k??

Also that it isn't neccessary to get the 55w on these bi-xenon housings? any truth to it creating heat spots?

you guys prefer DDM tuning or VVME?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interested in doing this to my 13'. My question is this.....I was reading that the 6000k, you actually lose light output vs. the 4300k??

Also that it isn't neccessary to get the 55w on these bi-xenon housings? any truth to it creating heat spots?

you guys prefer DDM tuning or VVME?
4300K is more close to daylight(white light) and 6000K has a tint of blue. I like the tint of blue.

I don't know VME, I have used DDM in the past on my previous cars. But that was with their big ballast, not the slim ones (I think they call the slim one's the raptor) I know those two sets are going on almost 5 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts