Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start by saying I didn't know where to put this questions and I am not a big car person, in fact I know almost nothing about cars.
I have a 2013 mazda 3 that I bought almost 6 years ago. Everything is pretty much stock, I just recently go the tires changed, I change the oil every couple thousand miles, I got the shocks and struts changed and the blower motor/fan changed. My car was running fine until I got the shocks and struts done a week ago and now my car will make a weird noise when it hits 65 mph and to me (again not a car person) it sounds like high revving but it's only a little over the 2 on the RPM meter. As I said before I was not having this until after the front shocks and struts were replaced.
A week ago my car started drifting so I took it in to get the wheels replaced along with some lugnuts because they were missing. The place called me and told me that my shocks and struts would need replaced as they were leaking, I told them okay go ahead, they only had time to do the back ones so I had to take it back another day, it drove fine no issues at all after the first day (just the back), I went back and they replaced the front and did an alignment. When I drove it that night it began the engine issues. I called them and told them my car isn't driving right and they said it's an engine issue nothing they did could have caused it. So I'm asking what might be wrong with my car, and could it have been done by the people who just worked on my car?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think you're going to need to link a recording of the sound. It could be a simple as a loose splash guard. No Check Engine light?

"Missing lug nuts" is the most concerning, and changing the oil "every couple thousand" may be premature... But get us some audio of this "high revving" sound and let's see what we can do about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're going to need to link a recording of the sound. It could be a simple as a loose splash guard. No Check Engine light?

"Missing lug nuts" is the most concerning, and changing the oil "every couple thousand" may be premature... But get us some audio of this "high revving" sound and let's see what we can do about that.
Okay. I can do that. Yes, I had 1 missing lugnut and 3 smashed ones. I do the every couple thousand miles because I drive 1hr to and from work everyday (56 min there 56 min back). I'll record the sound tomorrow when I drive to work. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would not be surprised if it is something like a bad wheel bearing. I you can find a safe stretch of empty road, get it up to the speed that creates the sound, then gently shift into N and coast and the engine should idle down to 700-800 rpms, which should eliminate the engine as the noise source. If the noise continues then you know it is not the engine, but more likely something in the drivetrain, like bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Excuse the poor video, but I was driving and couldn't really pay attention to the phone over the road. Anyways, you can hear it softly the other noise is the road and wind, which previously my car felt smooth but now it feels like I can hear and feel all the textures in the road. The sound is that lower pitched sound that almost sounds shaky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excuse the poor video, but I was driving and couldn't really pay attention to the phone over the road. Anyways, you can hear it softly the other noise is the road and wind, which previously my car felt smooth but now it feels like I can hear and feel all the textures in the road. The sound is that lower pitched sound that almost sounds shaky.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I couldn't readily discern anything from the video, but have you tried @Davids3 's suggestion of how to rule out the drivetrain?

If you have an infrared temperature gun, I'd point it at both steering knuckles immediately after a symptomatic drive, to see whether one is significantly hotter than the other (suggestive of the friction of a failing wheel bearing). You or an associate/mechanic can also do a gross assessment for each wheel bearing (jack up wheel and check for vertical/horizontal play, unusual noise/friction with rotation).

Your focus on "[hearing] and [feeling] all the textures of the road" makes me lean toward this being a suspension issue rather than an engine/transmission issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I got new tires I also noticed a new noise. I went back to the tire place and complained, etc etc. The deal was the new tires were quiet and the wheel bearing was bad. Go down the road and change lanes to the right, then to the left. If the noise it just when you go one direction it is a wheel bearing. I forget which bearing goes with which direction and there is bad info online as to which it is but at least you can tell it is a bearing

·
Registered
15 Posts
it could be just road noise from your new tyres. and with the combination of new struts, these new sounds might be introduced. the low rumble noise you've described for the vid sounds like road noise to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts