Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this about a month ago, and it seems to have gotten lost. Here goes again.

When I use my 2013 Mazda 3, 6-speed stick in the morning, while letting the clutch out in first gear, I get a jerk or two, as if the clutch momentarily slips.

My guess is that condensation has formed over night on the clutch surface, making the slip. This slip will happen only for a couple or so first-gear starts, and maybe that means that the clutch surfaces warm up enough to get rid of the condensation.

It's like what would happen if the tires slipped a bit during start, but I'm not any where near trying to accelerate that much, and I don't hear any chirps from the tires.

Any ideas? I just hope it's nothing more serious.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any signs of oil leaking or level depletion, suggesting a rear main seal leak? Have you tried working the clutch pedal several times before starting, to evaluate whether the engagement/disengagement has something to do with the startup clutch hydraulics? (You might additionally try working the clutch several times while in neutral after starting.)

How many miles on the engine and the clutch master cylinder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any signs of oil leaking or level depletion, suggesting a rear main seal leak? Have you tried working the clutch pedal several times before starting, to evaluate whether the engagement/disengagement has something to do with the startup clutch hydraulics? (You might additionally try working the clutch several times while in neutral after starting.)

How many miles on the engine and the clutch master cylinder?
hatch06, thanks. No leakage of oil or loss in oil level. It has about 82,000 miles but don't know about clutch hydraulics. I bought it second hand last October. I have not tried working the clutch pedal and will do so. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts