Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help. I'm changing the alternator on my mazda 3 and the lower mounting bolt does not have enough room to be removed from the mounting bracket. I have already removed the tensioner pulley but the frame is in the way and there is no way to rotate the alternator without damaging the bolt. I have been searching online and can not find ANYTHING that covers this repair at all. Has anyone done this and is willing to be share their experience?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadly nothing to offer but interested in this thread as I just changed out the serpentine on a 2013 skyactiv and alternator might be next as I have been having odd power steering failure bat and CEL illumination that disappear and no codes found. If the new belt doesnt fix it a junkyard alternator may be next.
I look forward to others wisdom on this.
Sounds like you did exactly what I would have done to get access. Luckily you're first!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly nothing to offer but interested in this thread as I just changed out the serpentine on a 2013 skyactiv and alternator might be next as I have been having odd power steering failure bat and CEL illumination that disappear and no codes found. If the new belt doesnt fix it a junkyard alternator may be next.
I look forward to others wisdom on this.
Sounds like you did exactly what I would have done to get access. Luckily you're first!

Got it figured out. The lower mounting bracket is not a full circle. It's a "c" shape. All you need to do is loosen the lower mounting bolt then slide it through the open part of the "c" shape. The open end is towards the front of the car. Now if anyone has any advice for getting the damn alternator out without disconnecting the radiator hoses and draining the cooling system I'm all ears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got it figured out. The lower mounting bracket is not a full circle. It's a "c" shape. All you need to do is loosen the lower mounting bolt then slide it through the open part of the "c" shape. The open end is towards the front of the car. Now if anyone has any advice for getting the damn alternator out without disconnecting the radiator hoses and draining the cooling system I'm all ears.
This looks similar to ours. Though it is a 2010 standard 2l.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drat. Yes ours is up top. Figures.

I did wind up getting it figured out. There is a mounting bracket for the main line coming out of the compressor behind the coolant reservoir. If you detach that you can move that line a good amount without damaging it. Then you can take off the top two lines connected to the reservoir (the two skinny ones) to give yourself a bit more space. With enough wiggling and a little luck you can manage to lift that alternator out without disconnecting or damaging anything. The reassembly process is way easier. Had it all put together in about 35 minutes after I got the new alternator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did wind up getting it figured out. There is a mounting bracket for the main line coming out of the compressor behind the coolant reservoir. If you detach that you can move that line a good amount without damaging it. Then you can take off the top two lines connected to the reservoir (the two skinny ones) to give yourself a bit more space. With enough wiggling and a little luck you can manage to lift that alternator out without disconnecting or damaging anything. The reassembly process is way easier. Had it all put together in about 35 minutes after I got the new alternator.
Awsome! Thanks for sharing that as I may need it soon myself lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts