Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just recently bought a 2011 Mazda 3, 2.0, 32K miles.
The oil cap reads 0W20. Being we live in Louisiana I'm thinking she can get away using 5W20. Am I correct? Also, it's spec'd to use the MC FL-910S oil filter. I was thinking the engine would be okay using the FL-400S, or equivalent.
I was going to donate (3) 5 quart containers of 5W20 Chevron Supreme oil and a M1-209 oil filter. When I go to WM next time I was going to buy her (2) MC FL-400S oil filters.
Is anyone here running 5W20 oil and the FL-400S oil filter on their 2.0 engine?
Being it holds 4.5 quarts of oil can the whole 5 quart container be added since the engine will be using the MC FL-400S oil filter?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Me personally, I use exactly what is listed on the oil cap. I generally grab Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. And I also use only Mazda OEM filters. For a 2.0, that should be a Mazda LF05-14-302B, but make sure.

As far as the intervals go, I do every 5,000, because that's super easy to remember. Just look at the odometer, and you're there!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've run 0W20 or 5W20 in my daughters old Mazda 6 (2.3 liter, 200K miles) and in her current Mazda 3. Just depends on what is available. No issues, no effect on fuel economy, varying the oil weight/viscosity a bit won't hurt anything. I use with the specified Motorcraft or Wix filters, period. If this is the cartridge type only the correct one will fit, don't waste your time. FWIW, you should be able to cross reference in the book. Recently I have ordered from Rockauto when I need other bits, more reliable than Walmart, but its your call and her car (don't screw it up).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts