Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're doing it for NBA... why not for us hockey fans?!

How do you feel your team did last week in LA at the draft? Who do you want to pick up for your team in free agency?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The Maple Leafs have been making some moves that will improve the team (both at the draft and through free agency now) but I'm still not sure that they are a serious playoff contender yet.

The biggest problems seem to be the lack of production from the centre position and I'm still not 100% sold on the goaltending. Looks to be another long year :(

NefCanuck

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
[quote author=casey.weber link=topic=175634.msg3716201#msg3716201 date=1278118036]
Kinda hard to be make serious steps forward when you don't have a first round pick for this year and next ;)
[/quote]

That was the price for landing Kessel.

Would I have made the same deal at the time to land Kessel if I was Brian Burke? I dunno, but Burke knows he has lots of slack in the rope (for now) before the fans start calling for him to be lynched for the team's poor performance, so he's thinking long term here.

NefCanuck

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but thinking LONG TERM would be to build through the draft. Not trading future considerations for a Kessel.

We're in the same boat here though. Alot of good has happened in the week though.
Hall will be amazing, and the defencemen aquired this week will help dramatically on the blue line!

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
you talking about boogeyman or Biron? Biron is fine, he can be a solid backup. boogeyman is WAY overpaid. how in the hell do you pay an enforcer $1.65m when you already have jody shelley?

and they went and traded bobby sanguinetti away?

i honestly can't think of the last time i actually liked something that Sather did.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
aside from the rangers' craptacular management, I'm surprised that the FA market has been so quiet/slow this year. Not a whole lot of movement, but obviously Kovalchuk is this year's prize. apparently the islanders are going to make a push for him.
A devils fan buddy of mine said that their moves (volchenkov, others) are being made to appease Kovy's agent and that he's going to re-sign with them. I don't know, although Lou Lam has lost a step or two these last few years, and really hasn't been the same GM he was in the devils' heyday.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=DamnLocust link=topic=175634.msg3716832#msg3716832 date=1278211256]
you talking about boogeyman or Biron? Biron is fine, he can be a solid backup. boogeyman is WAY overpaid. how in the hell do you pay an enforcer $1.65m when you already have jody shelley?

and they went and traded bobby sanguinetti away?

i honestly can't think of the last time i actually liked something that Sather did.
[/quote]

Im talkin' one of the worst contracts ever.... Boogeyman. haha.[quote author=DamnLocust link=topic=175634.msg3716833#msg3716833 date=1278211460]
aside from the rangers' craptacular management, I'm surprised that the FA market has been so quiet/slow this year. Not a whole lot of movement, but obviously Kovalchuk is this year's prize. apparently the islanders are going to make a push for him.
A devils fan buddy of mine said that their moves (volchenkov, others) are being made to appease Kovy's agent and that he's going to re-sign with them. I don't know, although Lou Lam has lost a step or two these last few years, and really hasn't been the same GM he was in the devils' heyday.
[/quote]

Last I heard, the Kings were the only team interested in signing him. He will have to take a pretty big pay cut to sign anywhere though. You can't give him Crosby or Lecavalier type money.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I wouldnt say that he won't get his cup in LA. they're already a strong team with a lot of good young talent. If they pick up Kovy though, chances are someone's gonna have to get shipped within 2-3 years though, (like what just happened in chicago with Versteeg after signing Hossa) so they'd have to do something pretty quick.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If Kovalchuk went there, that would put Ryan Smyth up for grabs I would say. What is their cap hit for next season if they sign him?
Anywhere he goes, will probably be only a 1 or 2 year deal.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
from what I've heard he wants a long term deal, but I could be mistaken. Cap hit would be whatever the average annual cost of the contract he's signed to comes out to be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts