Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I had the chance to drive around in a brand new 3 GT 6MT sedan. Graphite Mica with black leather. It had both the 2MC (moonroof and Bose) and 1TE (tech pkg). I thought I'd post my review for those who care to review it.

EXTERIOR
On the first look at the car, it is obvious that pictures don't do the car justice. The car is way more beautiful in person than perceived in the photos. The "smiley face" grill is less pronounced (my wife didn't even comment on it!), but the front looks aggressive. I like the small lip spoiler they've integrated on the lower valence - people won't have to do a HD lip! The headlights look really cool when you look at them, though I don't really care for the "nagare" or flare they put in the lights. Side proportions of the car are nice, but being a former 06 GT owner, I'd have to say that the rockers definitely need a lower valence like the hatches come with - it just looks plain down there. Having the turn signal integrated into the side mirror is a great touch as well. I felt the old 3 disrupted its sleekness by incorporating a light onto the side of the front quarter panels. The rear of the vehicle is growing on me. I didn't care for it at first, but then I started liking both the shape and the details in the taillights. I liked how there wasn't a keyhole in the trunk and that Mazda put the "request" button for the trunk with the cyclopse light. I didn't like the fact that this light wasn't an LED, though (I'm sure its only a matter of time before someone makes one). The standard lip spoiler is a nice touch as well. In a whole, the exterior of the car is great, but with all the details in the smallest of area, one area they lacked in was using "old school" wipers. Most cars have the "aero" designed ones, but this is nothing some $30 Bosch's can't take care of.

INTERIOR
The interior is superb, plain and simple. Regardless of the complaints received on the previous 3, the interior of the 2010 looks much more upscale. The dash and console area look very rich. There are small silver accents again and they make a nice touch. Having the power memory seat was a real nice touch as were the steering wheel controls for both the nav and cruise. Some magazine reviews and people here have said it's too busy - 5 minutes after I was in the car it was intuitive. I didn't like how the nav shared some information on the vehicle (to access fuel economy and other stuff, you have to revert away from the navigation screen. It just seems that they could've changed the design a little bit, but considering the technology package with the nav system is considerably cheaper than the 1st gen's, you really can't complain. The HVAC/radio layout was kind of funky as well, but once you own it, I'm sure you'll get use to it. The only areas that I didn't like in the interior? The floor, which retains the same cheap feeling carpet (but feels like it'll hold up better) and the headliner, which is also cheap-looking. Otherwise, its a great package.

THE DRIVE
The drive was comparable to the current 3. Sporty, but not overly harsh (keep in mind I'm 25, someone older may not like this ride). It has kept its balance even with the growth in both size and weight. The 6MT coupled with the new 2.5 is nice and peppy - it scooted right along. The 2.5 does sound a little harsher than the 2.3, though, but that is to be expected when you increase bore and stroke. I also noticed that the exhaust note that was so prominent in my 3 is now muted; I have yet to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Shifting was smooth, but seemed to be more notchy compared to my previous 3. I think the clutch uptake was just fine, even though some reviews have said it was a little on the heavy side. When taking a right turn, the car held its grip while accelerating but didn't feel overwhelmed. I think the new Yokohama's that are replacing the Goodyear RSA's make a huge difference.

OVERALL
I would buy this car, no questions asked. If you love the feeling of your current one, you will absolutely love the new one! It may be heavier, but it still retains its composure and the increased displacement helps make up for the weight gain. The small details that everyone loves are still there. The "luxury" car features are still available with an economy budget. With that said, I'm now looking to trade in my 6 month-old 3400lb coupe for another 3! (unfortunately, I couldn't wait for the new one to be out)

Bi-xenon, self leveling, active, auto headlights (the active feature can be disabled)
LED tails
Keyless access and starting system
Access to the **spin on** oil filter without removing the protective panel
Cluster/dash layout
The general "upscale" feel
Has the solid "clunk" noise when shutting the doors
Overall styling

DISLIKES
Rear cramped seats (not that I care, but passengers will!)
A lot of empty button holes by the stability/AFS control
No dead pedal
Cheap headliner and carpeting
Nav/additional features screen complaints (see review)
Stereo layout is funky
Engine harshness

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, since my opinion was based off the 30 minutes driving it and 2 and a half hours staring at it, no. If I can unload my current vehcile and pick one up, I'll be writing a more detailed review.

The mpg and hp/tq figures are the same as posted on the website, as far as I know...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
  • exterior is a bit too curvy/swoopy, taking design cues from bangle is not always a good idea :p
  • about half of the dash is now soft-touch coated plastic. a nice change from the nasty old hard plastic of the mazda3.
  • the hvac / radio controls feel way more solid now, more solid feedback from rotation and locking steps. they're also now textured for better grip instead of the old crappy mazda3 smooth slippery cheapass blah knobs.
  • the HU is going to be a BITCH to aftermarket -- metra etc is going to have a really hard time fabricating a din adapter for this car.
  • not thrilled about the bubble rear lamps. smiling front is not nearly as bad in person as it is in photos.
  • headlamps now angle up to 15 degrees in turns. formerly an expensive feature only found on expensive german luxury cars.
  • center armrest lost the integrated flip-down / locking tray. it's now a removable sliding tray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay thanks for the input guys, the more the merrier, I am talking to the salesguy today about how much we could lower the price to, i have some negative equity in the cobalt which really pisses me off!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I noticed the non-LED brake lamp right off the bat - WTF is up with that??!!?? Didn't drive one but the grey did look very nice in a 5 door hatch. Am waiting for the new Speed so hopefully that'll be resolved by then (either by the factory or aftermarket). If they bring out a speed sans a proper dead pedal, then I'll be appalled.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=manny link=topic=139717.msg3058382#msg3058382 date=1239725814]
what kind of yokohamas did mazda use?
[/quote]AVID S34D's

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Metra is incapable of making an adequate adapter with the current model, so what is new there?

Does the stock stereo still sound lousy?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=volsfan0911 link=topic=139717.msg3039089#msg3039089 date=1238893249]
Thanks for the write up! I noticed the non-LED brake lamp right off the bat - WTF is up with that??!!?? Didn't drive one but the grey did look very nice in a 5 door hatch. Am waiting for the new Speed so hopefully that'll be resolved by then (either by the factory or aftermarket). If they bring out a speed sans a proper dead pedal, then I'll be appalled.
[/quote]

It looked like the aftermarket choices for an CHMSL LED fixture (04-06) will fit on the 2010 5-door model. Design looked identical to my original incadescent CHMSL. Still weird that they took a step backwards on that one.

Also, I noticed the US-spec roof rails have the slots for a roof rack! I wonder if the roof rails will fit an 04-09 5-door, since the roof looks like one panel that wasn't changed very much...if at all.

Interior room was essentially the same to me, both front and rear. But the center console/tunnel seemed a little more narrow...the seats had better bolstering and held you in better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is the air conditioner colder than the previous models?? Thats what i would look for haha.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
No clue, it's still spring around here and temps are still in the 50-60 range. I only use my AC in late July through mid August.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The AC on the 2010 moldel is 1000 times better then the one on the old 3

As for the fuel millage

Curently my car has 1600km and the first tank took me about 550km the second one 620km and this third one if the trip computer is right it shoud last me 720km (70% highway and 30 city)

I don't baby the car, and i use ac and for this tank i am avereging 28.5 mpg or 8.0l/100km

I've changed my oil at 1399 km with syntetic, the break in oil was pitch black and smelled funny

And i am happy to inform you guys that the new 3 the 2.5 has a spin-on filter, for the first time i changed the oil without any mess (the old cartrige was a hell of a mess)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i found that the 2010 is much quiter then my old 2005, the only thing that you can hear on the highway is the tire noise, the engine noise and the wind noise cannot be heard

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote author=hate_romania link=topic=139717.msg3140879#msg3140879 date=1243192456]
i found that the 2010 is much quiter then my old 2005, the only thing that you can hear on the highway is the tire noise, the engine noise and the wind noise cannot be heard
[/quote]Just keep in mind all cars loosen up as they age. My wife's 3 is much louder inside than it was new...its not oppressive or anything but when I drive my friends 08 with 17k miles and my wifes 06 with 60k miles there's a noticable difference in wind/interior noise levels.

The 2010 will get a little louder with age, but probably not much :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
great review i feel the same way. you get used to the hvac controlls pretty quick and i find them to be intuitive! haha and my wife is allways cold and im allways hot so i can have air and she can blast heat on her crazy ass self. now i agree with the carpet and head liner. it would have been nice to see the head liner be an anthracite color on the sport models considering the cars sporting intentions i also think this might add even more posh to the allready very nicely detailed interior. and the exhaust is very quite mazda definetly did there homework and i cant believe that they did not think it was important to tune the exhaust a little to sound more sporty. i think that would make this car absolute perfection though. i have the exact car you drove but my car is liquid silver. i have the 6 speed and when you opt for the tech package it automatically includes the moon roof and bose sound system. its a wonderful drive and i would never even consider the ride harshor jarring. i think the suspension tuning is one attribute that really shines on the 2010. in my opinion it strikes the perfect balance of confidence in driving and comfort its very well sorted out on the road. one thing im positively not likeing is the nav it has been completely wrong one time and does it offer any prefferences such as shortest route or highway or anything. this could be my fault as i dont know much about the nav yet but i dont see any options on anything so? but i love the car and the leather feels like bmw leather! out of all of the bmw's i have owned i noticed that there leather holds up very well and i hope the 3's does to it feels allmost exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts