Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 new models of the 2010 Mazda3 came in today at the dealership (Open Road Mazda). First off, i'd like to apologize for the crappy pics but all i had with me was my camera phone. The sedan is the 2.0L model, the engine is pretty much identical to the current 2.0L (apart from a few changes to where some of the pipings go), underneath the splash shield is different rear suspension is a bit tweaked but apart from those 2 things everything else is the same. Btw the 2.0L doesn't come with the dual exhaust. On the inside it is very different, a lot more buttons on the steering wheel, the central knob that was the volume in the old one is now the tuning for the radio and it pulsates as you turn it left or right as well as the dual heating controls. The navi system only comes on the top of the line model and on the other models that screen is just a trip computer.
One the 2.5L hatch version the engine looks similar to the 2.3L turbo model, the alternator is in the back, the AC compressor is now further forward mounted and there is only one serpentine belt instead of 2. It has an oil cooler on the driver side of the bumper and the air box looks more like the one from the cx-7. underneath it looks just like the 2.0L apart from the rear twin exhaust muffler but they just took a muffler from the current mx-5 so it's nothing special.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Holy mother of god, the speedometer goes to 260! :shock: Oh, that's kph. :lol:

I'm loving that it has BT integrated in the steering wheel, and it looks like the NAV controls are now on the steering wheel. I'm digging the digital fuel gauge as the analog one isn't all that great..... what with the inconsistent distance between full and 3/4, and 3/4 and 1/2. Granted I won't be able to make a real decision until I see one in person the interior doesn't bother me as much as it does most people. Then again there's no way I'm going to be buying a new car for a long time. :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very good pics. I didn't notice in earlier pictures the bevelled area on the hatch panel below the rear window. I hope we get to see what an undisguised Mazdaspeed version looks like soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should look interesting with the Mandatory front plate in BC and being white... will be the Bucktooth Version... or better yet and maybe more appropriate the Beaver tooth edition.

Starting to grow on me though. BTW, do you happen to know which colours those were?? I assume they are different and its not just lighting differences.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I still think the design team was on crack when they did the front end, even though I will not ever be buying a new one, the front just looks so messed up, I will never drive a Happy clown car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, first of all, thank you very much for the pics. The quality is good enough to be able to see some characteristics which we really couldn't see with the official and car shows pics. My opinion is that I really like the more subtle colors instead of the bright blue they showed in other occasions. This way, it looks more like a everyday car and I have to say it it is more to my taste.
I honestly think that the car has a very sporty look in its HB version and the interior is really attractive, with lots of information and buttons inserted, but not in a confusing kind of way.
Of course I would still like to see some more and see pics of the European version, specially the diesel version, but I guess I will have to wait a bit longer.
Anyway, thanks again! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The colour of the HB version is the normal Silver (don't remember the proper name for it)

We just got a new shipment in of the new 3's (about 6 or 7 new ones) and one of the ones that just came in is the top spec GTE version HB. It has the navi system, blue tooth mp3 cell feature, leather, basically every toy on it. I test drove it around for a bit and on first impressions the power feels the same as the previous models but in the cabin it is more comfortable than the previous and much quieter.

so yeah if you live in the area come on by and check them out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I took some pictures at a dealership today, with the old 3 and the new 3 side by side (both front and back). Will upload the pics and post my impression later tonight!

Stay tuned ;)

dL

·
Registered
980 Posts
[quote author=NightRiderMZ3 link=topic=134886.msg2903914#msg2903914 date=1233469066]
yessssssssssss me wanna seeeeeee
[/quote]

Be patient my friend :p Wait 4 more hours or so :)

dL

·
Registered
483 Posts
all those buttons on the steering wheel is kinda a turn off. and i'm a little hesitant on the "lip" under the rear window on the hatch!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
[quote author=dL. link=topic=134886.msg2903921#msg2903921 date=1233469284]
[quote author=NightRiderMZ3 link=topic=134886.msg2903914#msg2903914 date=1233469066]
yessssssssssss me wanna seeeeeee
[/quote]

Be patient my friend :p Wait 4 more hours or so :)

dL
[/quote]

awes!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Alright! As promised, here are the pics.

Old Hatch vs New Hatch - Front:

New Hatch vs Old Sedan - Front:

New Hatch vs Old Hatch - Rear:

New Hatch - Rear:

Interior:

The pics didn't turn out that great but I hope this answers the request of many who wanted to see the comparison of new vs old side by side :)

Now onto my impression. I'll try to keep it short and simple:

IRL > PICS
- Especially the front, the smile don't look too obvious. Maybe it's the black but it seriously doesn't look as big as how the pics portray. I quite like the front, but I doubt the tailight of the hatch will ever grow on me. It's just ACK.

No Matrix
- I remembered some pics made the hatch look like a Matrix, but it's not true. Again, you gotta see in real life. It looks just like the old one.

Some minor things I also noticed (some you may already know :p):

- The rear hatch's caved arc thingy to open the trunk is not as deep as the current gen.
- Interior map light area has a compartment for sunglasses! FINALLY!
- Leather feels softer and comfier than current gen. Also, overall seat ergonomic has improved.
- Overall material is of higher grade than current gen's cheap plastic.
- Auto tranny shifter is shorter, though the knob is exactly the same.
- Glove box is almost as big as the current gen, and yes, it goes in very deep like the current gen.
- Center console storage is now only one slot with a little slidable/removable tray for putting iPod. That's a downgrade imo as you have to dig your hand through the iPod tray to grab stuff.
- Heat seat has 5 levels. Why do we need that many, seriously?
- If anyone cares, the glass/windshield brand is the same as the current gen. Sekurit :p

That's all for now. Finally I contributed something on this board hahaha :lol:

dL

·
Registered
32 Posts
The front end of the 2010 Black M3 when placed next to the old gen is SEXY! Man that looks sweet, and the smile everyone is freaking out about is not a big deal at all, especially once a license plate is slapped on there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know man...... Looking at both models, next to each other, sure makes the new 3 look unexciting. It just looks so childish and unattractive. Too Japanese looking ... just don’t care for it.

some wacky tabaccy must have been used when the design team got together to do the front grille.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great pics once again. You are giving a great contribution to deconstruct the idea that most people seemed to have that the front is way too ugly. Well, in fact it isn't that ugly at all. If you insert a license plate it's just as ugly as any other car, so maybe now people will stop criticizing and start looking at the ca from a different perspective!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Like many others I've been a tad bit concerned about the smiley face, but have been willing to overlook it because of the across the board improvements all around. I love the look of the old 3, but remember reading that someone said that side by side with the new gen, the older model begins to look dated. After seeing these great shots (thanks!), I have to say I agree. I still like the look of the outgoing model, but it definitely begins to look aged next to the new model, smile or not. I love the black color of the hatch and now have no reservations about the possibility of having one in my driveway! Again, great shots.. these were really helpful!

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
One word: YUCK!

I much prefer the older model.

1 - 20 of 479 Posts