Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
In your video, was that what the new ones sound like? Would be nice to hear the stock Bose tweeters versus the Kia ones for a point of comparison. I will add the disclaimer that my work laptop is not the best for hearing any difference though :(

I've always thought Bose was garbage for the dollars you spend if you ask me. Do a search online about Bose speakers and how they sue anyone who writes negative reviews about them. They are a mid-ranged speaker at premium prices. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup video was with the tweeters installed, final product. I couldn't enjoy any music I listened to in the Mazda3 until I did something about those damn Bose tweeters. Thanks for the complements by the way :) and we all know how bad the Bose factory setup is if you've heard a decent set of stereo speakers before, so in the video I was trying to demonstrate that the tweeter swap makes the Bose sound just like a good set of speakers should.

I strongly suspect Bose intentionally overpowered the tweeters to stop owners from turning up the stereo very much without ear pain to prolong the life of the amp. In turn the woofers never got enough juice to sound like they were actually doing anything. Now that the tweeters are tamed my max volume is ~28, usually 18-20 for most of my daily grind, used to get ear pain at only 12-13 volume (and I never get ear pain) but none at all now. Nice thumping bass can be felt in the doors now too -- I didn't used to be able to feel the 6.5's in there doing anything!

·
Registered
185 Posts
computerdr,

Do I have it wired correctly above?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like it. The wire going to the capacitor on the Bose tweets should be the same one going to the cap on the Forte ones. How does it sound wired up that way? I have the tweeters wired into the Polk crossover now so the wire colors for me are a bit different

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like it. The wire going to the capacitor on the Bose tweets should be the same one going to the cap on the Forte ones. How does it sound wired up that way? I have the tweeters wired into the Polk crossover now so the wire colors for me are a bit different
First of all, like you stated the stock tweeters weight more than the Forte tweeters. Installed as I have them, the highs from them are more high, where the stock seemed to have mid range added to them. Adjusting the treble to +6, and the bass to -6, with the fader all the way to the front, the sound is much higher with the Forte Tweeters. Listening to the complete system as I normally would, it now sounds like the door speakers have more bass and midrange to them. Listening to a CD you can really tell the difference. I will get some good connectors for these new tweeters, and install them correctly.

Thanks for suggesting this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome. They really shine with a true crossover to distribute the frequencies but I was very happy with them as a direct swap too. Cymbals used to sound horrible but so much smoother now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cymbals used to sound horrible but so much smoother now.
Definitely where I noticed the difference, higher highs. I listen with the bass and treble at max, and the fader at 3 or four to the rear. The volume doesn't get cranked up very high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Bose system doesn't sound like it has any bass because all the woofers and sub are getting overpowered by the bad tweeters.

I tried installing MM6501 components in the front doors as they were the popular choice in this forum, but they made the problem worse. The tweeters were even more harsh and loud than the Bose ones. I don't know why I expected anything else when the Polk tweeters weighed over 2oz each! (that's heavy for a tweeter)

Listen to the video below to hear the difference simply replacing the Bose tweeters with $40 Kia Forte tweeters makes. Toning down the tweeter noise allows you to add another 8-10 clicks of volume on the stereo, bringing up the woofer volume to match the tweeter volume, and suddenly you have bass pouring out and the entire system comes to life.

Listen to the difference here and tell me what you think. (I literally just recorded the video tonight with an AT4040 condenser mic for maximum quality, so you can hear the bass loud and clear!)
What year of Kia Forte tweeters worked?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts