Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the audio in the car is factory except for the aftermarket front door speakers that I installed (Polk Audio DB651 6.5"/6.75" 2-Way Speakers)

The aftermarket speakers sound decent but the overall system I feel is lacking.

By replacing the rear door speakers with another set of Polk Audio DB651, do you think that would make a different with the sound. I have read that the rear door speakers don't make much difference.

I am trying to just have a cleaner sound with decent bass.

Do you think connecting an aftermarket amp using a PAC AOEM-MAZ2 MAZDA PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM AMP INTERFACE ADAPTER would make a noticeable difference?

(I am really not trying to add subwoofers or change the factory look)

I have read that the Bose audio system is configured for Bose speakers/amp and any adjustments could alter the sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the good news is that the head units for Mazda's Bose equipped cars have historically produce a clean flat signal, and all processing was done at the amp level.

the stock radios have terribly attenuated rear signals.

I am using the Bose HU (albeit 2006 version) and the PAC adapter + amps and speakers (basically everything replaced except the HU, which still gives me free sirius (the never ending trial))

audiophiles, or people that think they are, will say things like:
rear speakers ruin the soundstage...etc...

nevertheless, they do add volume and presence, which sounds like what you want.
fade to fronts and tell me if you like it better without rear speakers,

the featherweight bose speakers are likely built to get the most out of the puny bose amp, so i wouldn't anticipate a huge improvement with "better" speakers, as far as volume or presence.

i would recommend an amp, and bypass the bose amp completely,

mine: http://www.mazda3forums.com/71-mult...ge-vary-lip-grill-lids-jl-alpine-audio-6.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Bose system doesn't sound like it has any bass because all the woofers and sub are getting overpowered by the bad tweeters.

I tried installing MM6501 components in the front doors as they were the popular choice in this forum, but they made the problem worse. The tweeters were even more harsh and loud than the Bose ones. I don't know why I expected anything else when the Polk tweeters weighed over 2oz each! (that's heavy for a tweeter)

Listen to the video below to hear the difference simply replacing the Bose tweeters with $40 Kia Forte tweeters makes. Toning down the tweeter noise allows you to add another 8-10 clicks of volume on the stereo, bringing up the woofer volume to match the tweeter volume, and suddenly you have bass pouring out and the entire system comes to life.

Listen to the difference here and tell me what you think. (I literally just recorded the video tonight with an AT4040 condenser mic for maximum quality, so you can hear the bass loud and clear!)

·
Registered
185 Posts
The stock Bose System on my 2010 has treble and bass adjustments, and the usual fade and balance. These speakers you are talking about, and they from a stock Kia Forte or what brand name are they? Is everything else stock on your system, just adding these tweeters? Any modifications needed, or just a direct bolt in replacement?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup, literally the tweeters from a stock Kia Forte or Kia Forte Koup (2009 - 2013 model year). $40-50 from most sellers on Ebay. I just bought two of the sail panels with the tweeters installed and removed them.

They're direct replacements for the Bose tweeters. They're the same 3.4 ohms resistance, with high-pass filter capacitors installed just like the Bose ones. Unclip the Bose tweets and splice the Forte tweets in -- done. You can test fit them temporarily to hear how they sound without making permanent modifications (here are the Forte tweeters installed in my car). The sail panels only take 10 seconds to pop out, so not only is this the best single upgrade I could find after trying a dozen different speaker combinations but it's also the fastest and easiest possible one to make! I LOVE it when the easiest fix is the best one.

You could call me one of those "audio snobs". I only listen to $300 Sennheiser HD650 headphones through a dedicated DAC and headphone amp on my computer, Mackie CR3 / M-Audio AV40 in the audio recording room used for creating radio ads, or Polk floor-standing speakers in the living room through a Denon AVR-2112ci receiver. I'm not just saying all that to brag, but I know what good sound sounds like since I listen to it every day.

Before I installed the Forte tweeters, getting into my 2012 Mazda3 w/ Bose in the morning before work was like "ugh, I have to listen to THIS crap again". Spending thousands or even hundreds to fix the problem was out of the question on this $11,000 car so I got creative and after a couple months I found these Forte tweeters. Now I drive around as long as I possibly can (I love stop lights too) so I can just keep listening to the music. You have to listen to believe it. I couldn't believe my ears the first time I played some music with the tweeters swapped, but I do remember pounding the steering wheel repeatedly yelling "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!" since I finally solved the problem.

The video I linked above is the best thing I could do to share with everyone how it sounds now -- which is just stunning!

(edit: easy way to hear what I'm talking about is to fade to 8 Front on your head unit and listen to how much worse it sounds than 8 Back. the front has nothing but treble and the rear has nothing but bass and muffled midrange. the Bose tweeters are completely out of balance with everything else.)

How I recorded the audio in the video:

·
Registered
31 Posts
BTW I just finished installing MM6501 crossovers and 6.5" woofers in the doors along with the Forte tweeters tonight. I wouldn't have had any desire to do this had I not already owned the Polk speakers, but I couldn't return them anymore anyway so why not, right?

The Polk woofers and crossovers work great with the tweeter upgrade as expected. The bass does sound a little tighter, but that could be the placebo effect too. Either way, with or without upgraded component speakers, the tweeter swap is fantastic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for adding another project to my list.

My 2010 has the Bose System. Yesterday I adjusted the fader to all front, and could only hear the tweeters. Thought this was odd, that I couldn't hear the door speakers? Didn't sound like they were working, but as soon as I turned the fader a little towards the rear, I could hear them come alive. I will for sure be doing this tweeter swap in the near future. For those that might not find the same replacement tweeters you found on Ebay, which ones would you purchase if you had to buy them from lets say for example, Crutchfield?

I am not as sound aware as you are, but I do like good sounding music through my speakers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2010 has the Bose System. Yesterday I adjusted the fader to all front, and could only hear the tweeters. Thought this was odd, that I couldn't hear the door speakers? Didn't sound like they were working, but as soon as I turned the fader a little towards the rear, I could hear them come alive. I will for sure be doing this tweeter swap in the near future.
YES. EXACTLY! With 8 Front fade you hear that "something just doesn't sound right" sound. I didn't figure out where the weak link was until I played around with the fade and at 8 Front suddenly all the bass and midrange were sucked away like a black hole! The tweeter needs to be dialed back so you can bring the front woofers and the entire front sound stage alive and that's exactly what the Forte tweeter does.

For those that might not find the same replacement tweeters you found on Ebay, which ones would you purchase if you had to buy them from lets say for example, Crutchfield?

I am not as sound aware as you are, but I do like good sounding music through my speakers.
For the best sound quality, I only ever listen to 100% soft dome / silk dome tweeters just like you'd get in a pair of high-end desktop monitors or floorstanding speakers, but that's only a starting point. Some tweeters are significantly louder than others and/or just sound plain bad even though they're soft domes.

There are a variety of reasons why most aftermarket speakers do not play well with the Bose system,

- Aftermarket tweeters do not have a high-pass filter capacitor installed for a plug and play installation to the factory Bose stereo like the Bose/Forte tweeters do, but if you have some electrical knowledge you could fix that

- The lack of a capacitor could also be remedied by purchasing a 6.5" component speaker kit and replacing both the front door speakers, but if you want the same volume, the kit must be 3 Ohms resistance or less as that's what the Bose are (~2.7 to 2.8 Ohms) and you must listen to it in person first to know you're going to improve the sound rather than make it worse! DO NOT simply go by reviews; everyone wants to believe their sound is better after spending $xxx on new speakers even if it's not, and many people have very untrained ears or very low standards from their factory stereo!

- 4 Ohm speaker kits do technically work, but to make up for the additional current they require you'd need to add additional volume and fade the speakers to the front slightly, which would reduce the rear subwoofer volume where the majority of the bass comes from

The short version is,
If you buy some tweeters you've listened to in person and know you enjoy -- and know how to solder on a capacitor to one of the leads (look it up, not too difficult) to filter high frequencies -- you can try pretty much any tweeter out there. I say "try" because you'll only know for sure if it's a good match until it's playing your music in your car. I know the Forte tweeters are a great match in our cars with any kind of music, so it's hard to recommend something I haven't listened to.

The one other tweeter I've listened to and loved the sound of is the JL C5 tweeter. Compared to all the other component kits I listened to in the store, the C5's actually sounded sonically correct; the cheaper C2 and C3 were clearly inferior. However not only was the JL C5-650 component kit the most expensive at $599 in store (~$300 used on Ebay), since they also have high power handling they may cause the same problem the Bose tweets did and overpower the woofer by simply being too loud. Not to mention the C5-650 kit is 4 ohms so the only way they'd sound correct is by bypassing the Bose amp. The tweeters alone might be a good match though... maybe.

It's tricky :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Awesome information. I will look for the speakers you purchased, and if I can't find any, then I'll go for the new ones. No modifications needed for those Kia Forte Speakers?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No modifications needed at all, just clip the two wires from the Bose tweeter and splice in the wires for the Forte one.

Here's a picture I took showing how I installed and test fit mine, I took this picture when I was connecting the Forte tweeter to the Polk crossover so I had already removed the capacitor here,

If you're only replacing the factory Bose tweeter and nothing else (leaving the rest of the speakers stock), leave the capacitor on. The Forte tweet will look like this fresh out of the Kia sail panel,

Once you test fit and take a listen, if you want to commit to it, for the best fit you will want to shave down the plastic mounting tabs for the Bose tweeter. I was more than happy to take them off for the improvement!

^ Taken from a thread by Derrick_B

I would try making an offer on these: left sail panel and right sail panel for $20 each, both are from the same seller within the USA. Then you'd get two tweeters for $40 and shipped pretty quick compared to the ones sold from Korea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks perfect. Those sail panels are identical to the ones I bought,

As you may know Kia parts are manufactured in Korea, so any seller from Korea like the one you linked should be selling genuine Kia parts. "Material : GENUINE Parts!"

I wonder how long it'll take to receive them! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks again. These are coming from outside the US, and should be here the end of February or beginning of March. I will reply back here once these are installed. These are also listed as "New".

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had several e-mail conversations from the seller, and would say communication is great! Great price, and am anxious to hear the difference with these installed. To me, the Bose System doesn't need any subs or enclosures, I'll spend that $$ on suspension upgrades instead.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The ordered Kia Forte Speakers in their original "sail" panels, came in last week. Just waiting on a clear day to be able to install them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
dunno man , i replaced the head unit with a kenwood and i have plenty of bass with the bose system, i do have sub level settings on my hu, maybe that's how

·
Registered
185 Posts
Car has green and purple wires. Forte Speaker has black and red wires. I'll figure it out.

Left Side:
The stock tweeter capacitor is attached to the green wire, and the Forte Tweeter has the capacitor on the red wire, so I am guessing the green and red wires go together. I can't hear the difference if I change the wires around for testing.

Right Side:
Stock tweeter has red going to capacitor, and blue is the other one. Forte Speaker is the same as above with red and black wires, with red going to capacitor.

Pictures to follow...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stock tweeters do weigh a lot more than the Kia Forte Tweeters.

Here are 2 pictures because I said I would post some:

Wire caps are temporary. I'll solder the wires in another week.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts