Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace one rear wheel hub/bearing on my 2010 3 -2.5 gt - There are 4 bolts which thread from the inside out and affix the new hub to the suspension -thru the dust plate - it appears the torque spec on these 4 bolts is 33-44 ft-lbs - which seems very low - anyone replaced these wheel bearings before ? - just looking for redundancy and accuracy - Many thanks fellow wrenchers - !

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've done the job a couple of times, it's easy. And 44 ft lbs is fine, just be sure to use blue threadlocker so they don't back out unexpectedly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done the job a couple of times, it's easy. And 44 ft lbs is fine, just be sure to use blue threadlocker so they don't back out unexpectedly.
Thanks - I just ordered a service manual after 11 years of " winging it " or asking for spec help- Like from you ! which I do appreciate ...I have the orange permatex thredlocker for the calipers/ plugs ...but i suppose these may not ever get removed again - so blue it is -
Regards !

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks - I just ordered a service manual after 11 years of " winging it " or asking for spec help- Like from you ! which I do appreciate ...I have the orange permatex thredlocker for the calipers/ plugs ...but i suppose these may not ever get removed again - so blue it is -
Regards !
Blue isn't the "permanent" one, red is! Blue you can break if you need to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue isn't the "permanent" one, red is! Blue you can break if you need to.
Thanks again ! - very much -confident with my abilities - yet get queasy on torque range accuracy here -
the blue permstex is on order thanks to you - After looking at the OE repair manual it shows those 4 bolts that thread inside to out which attach the bearing-hub now at
24-32 ft-lbs each? - which seems even more absurd - I mean - the entire weight of all the wheel : hub : vehicle / are supported by 4 bolts that are collectively about 100-120 ft/lbs - yes the caliper is on the trailing arm -but it still seems low -Wheel bolts are at 87ft/lbs each - - Two people said - ahh just get it tight - forget the torque wrench - but engineers do math and testing ? - thread lock must be the key -
When you did your bearings , did you just pull the caliper off the rotor and hang it with twist ties off to the corner ? I dont want to play with brake pads or parking brake cable and just want slide the caliper right back onto the rotor / -?
For anyone else forseeing your rear bearings/hub needing replacement( 2010 -3 2.5 rear ) / A distributor on Amazon has 4 OE new- speed sensor not included - but im reusing mine anyway -
BBM2-26-15XB is the MAZDA OE stock # for $139.00 / each !
Lowest ive seen - dealer retail around $200- most parts are going up now. Its even less than shop wholesale cost w/o tax !

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The bolts aren't very big. M8's at the most. That's why they don't take a whole bunch of torque. A wheel stud is an M12. A bolt that size can take 100 ft. lbs. That little M8, (may even be a 6) will snap if you try to give it the beans like that.

Yeah, on the back, you have the e-brake cables that will suspend the caliper in the air without having to do anything special like hang one from the spring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check Rockauto for the bits. Lots of fake parts on Amazon and the 'bay....
Appreciate that - However , I have an OE bearing : hub from Mazda and the seller on Amazon confirmed its NEW - not reman , sealed , boxed Mazda OE from Japan /Cost $139.50 which is about $65 off retail and even less than wholesale shop cost with tax- It seemed to good to be true- but its arriving today and if its not spot on match , weight , packaging /the seller will refund %100 - So
Not sure how they got them as its rare to get these type of parts OE outside the dealer/ unless a dealer sold out , which happens / I worked at a few Mazda dealers and i should be able to spot if bogus- they have three left - i did one side / rear at 142,000miles and i noticed it immediatly and an doing both - If theres any car worth saving its any Mazda 3 2010 ,11/12 -2.5 (,except the manual trans models ) as that engine is a 300,000 mi beast - because they took parts from the turbo 2.3- forged bottom end , power coated connecting rods, 4340 moly piston sleves , graphite pistion skirts , stainless steel exh header, alum pistons , heads -The cat converter was engineered to last and uses far less platinum and is efficient -
every time i see a 2.5 listed in a salvage yard its stripped to the bone in one day - seldom get any good parts , gotta be quick - of you need rear bearings check out the amazon list - they had 3 left - ? - if bogus i will follow up -
Genuine Mazda BBM2-26-15XB Wheel Bearing and Hub/. NEW /OE 2010 2.5

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting in that you are getting an OEM part from Japan for $139.50 via Amazon. Not sure why people think Amazon is always a great deal. A 2 minute search gave me Mazdapartsonline.com, and they show the rear hub/bearing at $134.67. Guaranteed in Mazda box and guaranteed to be the real deal. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting in that you are getting an OEM part from Japan for $139.50 via Amazon. Not sure why people think Amazon is always a great deal. A 2 minute search gave me Mazdapartsonline.com, and they show the rear hub/bearing at $134.67. Guaranteed in Mazda box and guaranteed to be the real deal. Let us know how it works out.
Well. ~ the lowest price is one criteria. , and i have not previously purchased any parts from Amazon - regardless -
Well i just check'd mazdapartsonline.com and that exact bearing/ hub assembly from them is $156.16 plus shipping - so its over $22 more before shipping and Amazon is free shipping in this case . ...So Im pretty happy - yes - and I seldom buy parts online as I have access to dealer parts from a dealer which I prefer for ease of exchange and warranty -

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well. ~ the lowest price is one criteria. , and i have not previously purchased any parts from Amazon - regardless -

Well i just check'd mazdapartsonline.com and that exact bearing/ hub assembly from them is $156.16 plus shipping - so its over $22 more before shipping and Amazon is free shipping in this case . ...So Im pretty happy - yes - and I seldom buy parts online as I have access to dealer parts from a dealer which I prefer for ease of exchange and warranty -
mazdapartsonline.com price ....
Product Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received the hub/bearing today from Amazon and its identical to the one i purchased at the dealer , in the correct box,correct numerical id , however the box had been opened and re-taped closed - but even at the dealer the boxes are often open for inspection - It has machine etched number on the back of the flange - which my parts guy at the dealer said is typical of Ford parts , and I asked how these OE parts end up on Amazon - he said ....often dealers want to liquidate their parts inventory and use a dummy company name to sell thru Amazon so they dont ruin their full retail sales -Also remanufacturing these was more frequent but less now as theres not enough demand to make the price gap worthwhlie - If anyone has knowledge of these etcd numbers - please advise - They clearly show them on their ad -
Automotive tire Font Auto part Nickel Gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts