Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the tour in HS hoping to at least make the top half and ended up taking 1st. Nice surprise. First time on Kumho tires.

There were 13 drivers in HS (3 Mazda3's with each having two drivers and mine being the only Hatch).

There was a Mini there from Canada that did not do well the first day (2 seconds off the lead) and then on the second day lost their Lock Key for lug nuts and had to run their first 2 runs on streets where upon someone with crazy luck found it. They switch tires for the last run and did rather well dropping 3 seconds over the street tires and one of them roughly a tenth behind me in time for the day. Curious what they would of gotten had they ran on R-comps that day.

Of course to note that, I should add. Make sure you leave the keys in the car when in grid. On the second day there was a last minute course change and i went out to look at it taking the keys. Not sure how but i ended up dropping them on my way back in and to say it was scary having like 10 minutes before you run and not finding your keys. Found them on the edge of the course with like 3 minutes to spare.

It was a very close race for HS with the top 4 drivers all within 0.734 seconds after two days.

First day best run was my third, I was behind by .081 secs in Second place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9MoW196AM#

Second day, best run was my first which put me in First place and at one point was .078 seconds ahead of second. Only the driver hit a cone that was not reported by the corner workers and he had timing add it which dropped him from 2nd place to 4th. Talk about being honest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql_BDXje-JE#

Hope the video is not too bad. First attempt at doing it. Due to the mount, had to record the video upside down and then fun trying to find a converter for MOV files.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=rdks4freedom link=topic=139909.msg3015561#msg3015561 date=1237952626]

There was a Mini there from Canada that did not do well the first day (2 seconds off the lead) and then on the second day lost their Lock Key for lug nuts and had to run their first 2 runs on streets where upon someone with crazy luck found it. They switch tires for the last run and did rather well dropping 3 seconds over the street tires and one of them roughly a tenth behind me in time for the day. Curious what they would of gotten had they ran on R-comps that day.

[/quote]

That was John (the car owner) and Barry (really fast kid in his own Elise) from my club in Vancouver. They drove non stop from Vancouver to SD after work late Thursday night. Got into SD at almost 3 in the morning. Ran first heat without walking the course much. That's why their times were way off pace the first day. I think they have learned their lessons and will be more prepared next time. John and his brother Jack drove non stop from Vancouver to Topeka for Nationals last September also, took them 32 hours. Drove home non stop after the event also. :shock:

John just posted a report on our club's forum about what happened at SD. He mentioned when the lug key was found, he asked for a 10 minute mechanical and the grid marshall didn't think changing tires would be considered a "mechanical". John mentioned that the HS guys started arguing with the marshall and helped him changed the tires. He really appreciated the help and thought all the drivers in his class are real classy guys.

One last thing, my sincere congratulations on your win this past weekend.

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=139909.msg3015804#msg3015804 date=1237962318]
Hey! Were you the one that we asked for wheel lock keys for our black Mazdaspeed3? We ran in SK2 DS.

If you are, thank you for the help! Even though you guys didn't have the key.

And, congrats on the win!

[/quote]

Yeah.. that was us. Did you find one?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Congrats on the win.

11 drivers and only 4 seconds between first and second over two days. Pretty tight.

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
[quote author=rdks4freedom link=topic=139909.msg3015881#msg3015881 date=1237974484]
[quote author=tigermack link=topic=139909.msg3015804#msg3015804 date=1237962318]
Hey! Were you the one that we asked for wheel lock keys for our black Mazdaspeed3? We ran in SK2 DS.

If you are, thank you for the help! Even though you guys didn't have the key.

And, congrats on the win!

[/quote]

Yeah.. that was us. Did you find one?
[/quote]

We went to John Hine Mazda, about 3 miles away. They have a master key and did it for us with no charge! Thanks for the effort again. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=PZ link=topic=139909.msg3015891#msg3015891 date=1237975869]
Congrats on the win.

11 drivers and only 4 seconds between first and second over two days. Pretty tight.
[/quote]

??? curious, i think you meant first to 11th place :)

There were 14 pre registered and 13 showed to race with 12 actually running both days. After two days, the top four places were separated by 0.734 seconds and 4 seconds from first to 11th place with the 12th place being 4 seconds behind 11th place. Though to say, i believe the it was the first time the 12th place driver was in that car.

[quote author=tigermack link=topic=139909.msg3016482#msg3016482 date=1237999998]
We went to John Hine Mazda, about 3 miles away. They have a master key and did it for us with no charge! Thanks for the effort again. :)
[/quote]

awh.. i know where that is. Went there to look at the 2010 3's. Before the weekend i was strongly considering going to the '10. Was trying to drive one to see what the 2/3 gears were like but they could not get the key for the hatch.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Congrats! Awesome job and awesome to see a good turn out on the west coast.

John and Jack were fast on Day 2 at Nats last year.

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
Not sure if anyone cares but here are the runs we had.

Day 1. My brother, Justin. His day 1 fast run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORquFT9EJso#

Me. My fast run with a cone... I was slow and off the cones a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zbIw0SpB-c#

Day 2.

My brother, Justin. He had dirty runs for the first 2 runs so he had to slow down to get a clean run to get a secure time. He was .2 behind leader going into day 2, he got nervous and tried too hard and affected his performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grm2g0Jb1gU#

Me. Fastest run in run 2, I think it was also the fastest run in SK2 that day. I think I got used to the car a bit more and was able to perform better since I was in 8th place and I had nothing to lose, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJvNnBMMc4#

This guy is so much different to drive... with the extra power and LSD... it's just different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see you had good weather to run the second day. :)

how does it work with the SK2 classes. First time i heard of it and i am not familiar with it at all? How do you like running that class?

Curious.. did you have to shift out of second at all for that course?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
[quote author=rdks4freedom link=topic=139909.msg3018099#msg3018099 date=1238043821]
I see you had good weather to run the second day. :)

how does it work with the SK2 classes. First time i heard of it and i am not familiar with it at all? How do you like running that class?

Curious.. did you have to shift out of second at all for that course?
[/quote]

We wouldn't run that class if we could afford R comps...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great job man! I'm running DS for the Houston Tour so I'm hoping for the same results. So far there are only 5 of us in the class.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts