Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Mazda 3 2.0l
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new user i tried the google search thing to see if i could find the issue, if i missed it i apologize.

Hi, i was driving for about 10 minutes, noticed a slight whine, (i heard the power steering pump are noisy in this vehicle), continued driving and the noise got worse before it went to a climax and started spewing white smoke behind me, the sound changed to a hiss after i parked it and had a small amount of oil come out the bottom of the engine passenger side, the hissing continued for probably 20 minutes.

Car has 138k miles. I've owned it since 110k miles, checked the oil nearly every time I drove it unless short trips.

On this particular trip I checked the oil and it was at the top range of the safe zone indicated on the dip stick. Once this event happened i check the stick again and no change. Still at the top end of safe.

I did my best to find pictures or anything that may tell me whats going on. Nothing seems to say exactly what I'm dealing with. I took some pictures my self and it looks like the seal on the timing cover blew out, and that seems strange because the oil level looks good, no lights came on either.

I appreciate any help provided. Thank you and have a blessed day.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Locking hubs Bumper

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Metal

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gear Rim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did the motor overheat? White smoke could be coolant. I am also concerned about the appearance of your oil pan gasket material. It looks like it is extruding out where the pan meets the block on the back half of the passenger side of the motor. I would be concerned about an oil leak here. Obviously if your motor seriously overheated there could be other significant issues, liked warped block and cylinder heads. Further investigation is needed on your part. I would start with a thorough evaluation of your cooling system to make sure nothing is leaking (the hissing sound you heard is typical of a leaking cooling system as steam escapes. You can get a cooling system pressurizer at somewhere like Harbor Freight to test the system while it is cold.

·
Registered
2009 Mazda 3 2.0l
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David. The cooling system was worked on 2 years ago in the fall, i did the work. Not sure if it was coolant, but could be i guess, didn't seem like it though.

I noticed pretty quickly while I was driving that something bad was happening. So within 2 minutes, i was pulled over and engine off, there wasn't time for the engine to overheat.

I'll look further into the cooling system as you suggested. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
363 Posts
there wasn't time for the engine to overheat
Is that conclusion based on your observation of the temp gauge? I'd think catastrophic coolant loss at speed could cause an overheat condition within 2 minutes... Were you able to determine whether the white smokes was coming from the tailpipe or simply under the car (as though it was originating in the engine bay)? You mentioned the oil level was fine, but what about the coolant level? No CEL triggered? I'd connect an OBD-II scanner even if no CEL, to check for pending codes.

FWIW, like @Davids3 notes, the timing cover looks like it was assembled with excessive sealant -- not a "blowout", but just too much sealant that squeezed out before curing. (Did you have an older photo without that sealant outcropping?

·
Registered
2009 Mazda 3 2.0l
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen, I found it!

It was the AC. I did what you guys said in regards to checking where the white smoke and everything came from.

Engine ran normal today, 25 minutes of normal running. No overheating or any strange smoke.

I'm going to post a link to a YouTube video hopefully its allowed. It shows where the leak is from.

Thank you again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts