Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading and re-reading multiple threads on the conversion (most being the 05's and older). Unfortunately I still have some confusion on picking the right donor engine for my year so I'm asking for help.

Target car: 2009 hatch with 2.3L NA 5spd.
My Goal: get it working with the most minimal work/parts. I am not planning a tune, just stock ECU. Would prefer a newer engine with lower miles.

I think this means I would need to reuse from the 2.3:
- Intake Manifold and throttle body (and get an adapter plate)
- the oil pan, dipstick & associated parts
- the coil packs
- pulley's and accessories

I would use from the 2.5L:
- injectors (although I did come across a video stating to switch to 2.3L injectors due to duty cycle differences? Maybe that depends on donor engine?)
- exhaust manifold

I am still unsure of, seeking confirmation on:
- the timing wheel/cog that is at the end of the camshaft - does it need replacement on all swaps or does it depend on the year/model of donor engine?
- Does it have to be a manual engine donor or is auto ok? (I recall in one post that it can be an auto but I'd have to install a pilot bearing at rear of crankshaft?)
- Where to get the adapter plate for the manifold - some mention forum members, some e-bay but no real consensus.

- I believe the prime donor for my use would be from a 2011/12 Fusion? Or can I go later years? Any VIN numbers I need to mention when calling junk yards? Basically, what is the appropriate donor Engine as I have seen mentioned everything from 06 Fusion/Escape/Milan up to 2016 model year but I don't think it is all inclusive and each model donor has differences, no?

UPDATE: Example: For the Fusions, 2.5L, VIN A (8th digit), oval variable or rectangular variable valve timing solenoid connector?

I can't find a list/table anywhere that has a donor year/model and what would need to be changed on it to fit a Mazda3 so maybe this thread could be that?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I finally found a list that I was looking for here (up to 2012 donor years) in tonyguns thread (can't post links yet)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts