Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some other posts about this but I just wanted to share my experience with other members.

I'm sure many members have noticed this and many have not, it really depends on how you drive your speed. I'm a very aggresive driver so i'm using the speed for what it was built for. Performance driving, not pussy footing around town. I recently ran the 2009 Snowcross challenge here in utah and the speed performed great on the track aside from having to trailbrake the living hell out of the car.

Since it did so well, i figured hey why not try an autocross. That's when the car literally failed for me. Setting up for MOST gates would pop the car out of 2nd gear. mind you this course was setup to be a very very tight course. 2nd gear at most throughout the whole course.

I wanted to sell the car right there but later calmed down and realized hey i'm probably just driving it wrong and i need to tune the car for autocrossing.

Later that week i was hell bent on trying to duplicate the issue so I found a vacant street and let loose. Getting up to around 60 mph in 2nd and slamming the brakes, tosses it into neutral 100% of the time. I'm not talkin a usual oh no stop. i'm talkin slam the breaks cause you're gonna hit a wall type of stop. An oh no stop will do it around 60% of the time, but hit the wall braking will be 100%

I tried it in 2nd, and it popped
I tried it in 4th, and it won't pop
I did not try it in 6th, but i would assume it would pop since it's more at an angle in the gearbox and the torque of the motor mounts would pull it out. That's why 4th stays put, since it's a straight line. (for the most part)

On the autocross course there was no way i was hitting 60mph in many of the areas but i was also setting up for a turn, so lets say you're doing 35-40 mph and you hit the brakes rather hard, the shifter will start moving forward, and the force from the turn will pop it even further so when you hit the throttle it just tosses the gear into neutral.

So i call up my local dealer (d. dahle mazda) to show them that if you slam the brakes the car will pop out of 2nd gear and go into neutral. Obviously they said they have never seen that problem before and would like me to duplicate it with a tech in the car. I told them i'm totally fine with that with a huge grin.

I show up and the tech hops in, after driving around a bit talking about little nuances here and there about the car, but overall loving it, I show him the problem and of course he say's he has never seen that happen but he also has never used the brakes that hard. (keep in mind i was pretty light on the brakes with him in the car, i didn't wanna toss him into the dash lol) I let him drive it and he tests the gearbox to see if the Synchros are fried but he states they feel fine.

We get back his team calls the Mazda tech line to ask them if there is a known issue and they come back with, well...go drive a brand new one and see if you can duplicate it. So the tech picks out an 09 speed3 goes out and guess what...duplicates it. Mazda techline tells them it's supposed to do that then since a brand new one does it.

By the time they tell me that (after waiting 2 hours) i'm livid as hell. Trying to explain to them that a car SHOULD NOT do that, i have driven, corvettes, mini coopers, camaros, mustangs etc. and i haven't had an issue with that. So they tried to swing some excuse of maybe it has to be that way to keep everything in perfect synch for performance.

So it seems that Mazda itself thinks that, oh i guess we did mess up but if a new car does it, we meant for it to do that, and until someone gets hurt from that issue we won't fix it.

Luckly i don't live too far from Cobb Tuning so i called up and spoke to a guy named chris venting my frustration not expecting them to fix it but help me diagnose it and cruised down there. Many of the tuners there felt that the motor mount would be a likely culprit over the shift bushing since the Speeds engines just LOVE to move around and can be a pain in the ass.

Cobb mentioned streetunit as a good source of motor mounts. I'm gonna try picking one up from them, but hell if the mount fixes the problem...street unit is in for a lot of orders cause from what i've just proven, every speed3 should be doing it since it comes from the product line like that.

I saw a tentative list of many people having issues with their transmissions but wasn't sure if it was related to the 2nd gear popout, Add me to the list and hell i'll even give you my contact info and you can have the dealer you're dealling with call me.

-Jeremy - one frustrated speed driver

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It's the rear mount. Just replace it with an engine lash limiting one. There are a number of good ones out there. It just depends on how much harmonic vibration increase you find acceptable in making your selection. You may want to R&R the trans fluid and install shifter bushings while you are at it. All relatively cheap additions to ensure great tranny/shift performance. This is an old known issue by the way. I could not believe how much better performance was after spending and installing maybe 175 bucks worth of replacements.

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=RC08MS3 link=topic=139730.msg3012747#msg3012747 date=1237854439]
^^^ bought that and feel like i wasted my money
[/quote]

Did you have the "popping out of gear" issue?

·
Registered
693 Posts
no but the point of that is to weigh more than the stock weight on the end of the shifter, but it dosent seem to weigh that much more, and it dosent smooth out shifts or go into gear easier as people say it does. i honestly dont think it will really do anything in this guys case either, sounds like the shifter or the linkage is being hit by something when he brakes, could be in the engine bay, i know the CP-E CAI gets smacked by the shift linkage all the time, he hasn't specified mods so who knows. also a decent shifter might fix the issue, the stock is so sloppy its not worth keeping anway. my 2nd gear has 2 notches to go into, and you cant always get it in the one it needs to be in. Alot of the time i have to go to another gear and then 2nd to get it all the way in.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
just my own theory, i think the shifter weight is an issue here. iv removed mine and while doing so i can se how braking like balls may cause the weight of itself to pop foward and thus out of gear. anyway as i said mines gone and iv never had this problem. but then again, im not jammin on the brakes.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
[quote author=RC08MS3 link=topic=139730.msg3013183#msg3013183 date=1237864360]
no but the point of that is to weigh more than the stock weight on the end of the shifter, but it dosent seem to weigh that much more, and it dosent smooth out shifts or go into gear easier as people say it does. i honestly dont think it will really do anything in this guys case either, sounds like the shifter or the linkage is being hit by something when he brakes, could be in the engine bay, i know the CP-E CAI gets smacked by the shift linkage all the time, he hasn't specified mods so who knows. also a decent shifter might fix the issue, the stock is so sloppy its not worth keeping anway. my 2nd gear has 2 notches to go into, and you cant always get it in the one it needs to be in. Alot of the time i have to go to another gear and then 2nd to get it all the way in.
[/quote]

? it weights LESS than the stock... and was made to be a weight to not hit the cobb FMIC tubing and popping out of 2nd issue. The stock weight is so heavy in some situations it seems to pull the shifter out of 2nd. so yes it may help, a rear mm will probably help as well as some shifter bushings for a more solid feel of the shifting.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i know the CP-E CAI gets smacked by the shift linkage all the time
[/quote]

If your CAI is being hit by the shift linkage it's installed incorrectly. Try moving your intake slightly. I made sure my shifter was in 3rd (linkage farthest forward) and installed my CAI around it.

Sounds to me like the OP's problem will be solved with a new rear motor mount. Shifter bushings can't hurt either.

TIM

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well mine used to pop out on heavy braking. Even my MZ 3 did. Replaced the rear mount on the MZ 3 and that stopped. Replace the rear mount of the MS3 and it stopped again. Pretty simple fix. Sure in the heck would be nice if Mazda did it though, so you all would not be conjecturing about the cause. Pretty silly really as enough folks associated with Mazda READ the forum postings. They could do it other ways besides using a more aggressive rear mount. Slackers.

·
Registered
693 Posts
[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=139730.msg3013318#msg3013318 date=1237867875]
[/quote]

If your CAI is being hit by the shift linkage it's installed incorrectly. Try moving your intake slightly. I made sure my shifter was in 3rd (linkage farthest forward) and installed my CAI around it.

Sounds to me like the OP's problem will be solved with a new rear motor mount. Shifter bushings can't hurt either.

TIM
[/quote]

it was on the car when i bought it, but o well i have the "weight" now so it wont matter

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=RC08MS3 link=topic=139730.msg3013639#msg3013639 date=1237898044]
[quote author=Tim25 link=topic=139730.msg3013318#msg3013318 date=1237867875]
[/quote]

TIM
[/quote]

it was on the car when i bought it, but o well i have the "weight" now so it wont matter
[/quote]

I'm confused. If it was on your car when you bought it, to what are you comparing it to say that it wasn't worth the money?

To the OP - just remove the stock shifter weight and see if you issue resolves itself. If it does, then buying the Cobb shifter weight is the solution.

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=RC08MS3 link=topic=139730.msg3014993#msg3014993 date=1237938815]
no no the CAI was on the car when i bought it, the weight i bought myself
[/quote]

Aha, that makes more sense.

·
Registered
518 Posts
the oddest crap... Ive done autox and road tours but have only had the car for a year but have 31k miles and have never had issues like this... Only sounds like a select few/handful have this issue anyway but yes good suggestion, take off the stock weight and see how that goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2nd gear coming out -
OK, I have personal experience, and how it ended?
I had to pay to get my transmission rebuilt...

Basically - Mazda voided my warranty due to modifications (long story, court soon)
But in the meantime I had to have a running car -
if you have the warranty, take it in, get it tested, and make sure they fix it. It is a serious issue.
I have no idea what the parts are - but the transmission shop showed me the cause -
there is a Y shaped piece - that 2nd gear sits in (which is an O shaped piece). On the top two parts of the Y that cradle the gear, there is two pieces of plastic material that basically ended up rubbing completely off. and this was causing me to pop out of gear when letting go of the gas, or trying to downshift into 2nd.
So, $2300 later, I have a 2nd gear that works. dangit.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Wow,

That is a piece of information that I have not seen reported on. Good luck in court. I am sure your attorney knows about Magnussen-Moss. It will be interesting to see how the lie bank will hold up for them in court.
Especially if you 1) Get the tech report from the Trans shop and 2) Impune the record of the dealer by going after the agent of that dealerships record via other customers who they have hosed.

Had a similar thing happen with a FORD to the tune of 3800. I wrote it off and got a different marque.
To this day I wish that I had pursued the bastards as it turns out there was a hidden recall.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts