Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, saw this earlier this morning while checking oil:

Note nasty-looking belt towards the bottom of picture.

Red arrows point to what appears to be fluid staining the mount. Also have this staining on the inside of the hood:

It appears to be in the neighborhood of the mount. Do the mounts have fluid inside? Does it look like it's broken? I have a little rough starts and some thump sound when I take off from a stop, go over bumps, that sort of thing. Not sure if it's related.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

· Registered
8,662 Posts
It appears to be in the neighborhood of the mount. Do the mounts have fluid inside? Does it look like it's broken? I have a little rough starts and some thump sound when I take off from a stop, go over bumps, that sort of thing. Not sure if it's related.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Everything you're describing sounds like a broken PMM, same symptoms I had. They are oil filled/hydraulic, and tend to last about 60K or so. Aftermarket doesn't break down as quickly (not sure how long they last, but quite a bit more than 60K), but tends to vibrate at around 1200-1500rpm.

· Registered
60 Posts
Yes, your mount is toast. They are liquid filled and it is some nasty stuff(ask me how I know). I would recommend getting a new solid side mount from ROCA-USA. Way cheaper than an OEM and no more fluid. You will notice only a little more vibes(nothing harsh though) and you will be quite happy. I have been pleased with mine and I coupled it with one of the Corksport Race RMM in 70duro and in a manual it is smooth as silk.

Since the side mount is toast you might want to look into the RMM as well unless you already replaced it.

BTW, that belt might need changing. The liquid from these mounts is nasty and if it coated the belt, it may cause it to prematurley break and that will lead to more costly fixes.

Hope this info helps.

· Registered
875 Posts
Yes, your mount is toast. They are liquid filled and it is some nasty stuff(ask me how I know). I would recommend getting a new solid side mount from ROCA-USA. Way cheaper than an OEM and no more fluid. You will notice only a little more vibes(nothing harsh though) and you will be quite happy. I have been pleased with mine and I coupled it with one of the Corksport Race RMM in 70duro and in a manual it is smooth as silk.

Since the side mount is toast you might want to look into the RMM as well unless you already replaced it.

BTW, that belt might need changing. The liquid from these mounts is nasty and if it coated the belt, it may cause it to prematurley break and that will lead to more costly fixes.

Hope this info helps.
Interesting find about the passenger motor mount. Did you contact the manufacturer and verified that it is a solid mount and not filled with fluid?

I might buy one for my DD mz3 hatchback if it is a solid fill.

· Registered
60 Posts
I did not contact the manufacturer, but I can assure you it is solid. Its the same exact mount as the Hardrace one only the casting is not blue. Looks more OEMish imo. You can feel squishyness with your OEM mount, but this one I poked around and hurt my finger on the rubber. I think its comparable to 60duro? Fairly stiff but it is not unpleasant. I don't think would be disappointed, especially for the price.

http://www.roca-usa.com/product.php...odel=Mazda 3&aiYear=2004-2009&products_id=440

Hopefully the link works.

· Registered
875 Posts
nice, i was searching around the forum and gknorr had mentioned the same thing as well in the link below

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=313406&page=81

for the price is hard to pass on it, i will try to order one within this week.

trans mount is getting me curious as well, i wonder of it is stiffer than oem

· Registered
60 Posts
It actually isn't all the bad as far as cost goes. Especially if you can do the work yourself (which if you have space and tools you can). There are some really helpful how-tos on the forum.

If you buy OEM, it will be expensive and you'll get the same crappy life span. If you go aftermarket, you can get some nice stuff which will last a whole lot longer. One of those fix with quality or fix it over and over.

I like saving money, but when it comes to possibly damaging my engine when a mount breaks, I want something quality and don't mind paying a whee bit more because in the long run...

$4000 engine or a couple hundred in mounts?

· Registered
8,662 Posts
This is gonna cost a ton. I can only imagine what the other mounts look like.
First of all, I wouldn't immediately assume all mounts are bad. The PMM fails often. The RMM is in my opinion way too soft, but doesn't fail as often. Likewise the tranny mount.

The factory PMM costs less than aftermarket poly mounts, but I'd look into Rock Auto's or similar.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.