Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Mazda 3 I which is having automatic transmission issues. I can move the shifter into gear, but the transmission doesn't actually move into gear and the gear indicator on the dash doesn't shift out of park. I'm convinced it's the TCM.

I removed the battery box and the airbox and looked in the location under the trans mount and I cannot find the TCM anywhere. Any ideas where it could be located?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have a 2008 Mazda 3 I which is having automatic transmission issues. I can move the shifter into gear, but the transmission doesn't actually move into gear and the gear indicator on the dash doesn't shift out of park. I'm convinced it's the TCM.

I removed the battery box and the airbox and looked in the location under the trans mount and I cannot find the TCM anywhere. Any ideas where it could be located?
What has you convinced its the TCM? Have you checked if there are any transmission trouble codes? The issue sounds more like a broken shift cable or bad range sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What has you convinced its the TCM? Have you checked if there are any transmission trouble codes? The issue sounds more like a broken shift cable or bad range sensor.
I am not particularly savvy myself, but I have a friend who is, and this is based off of what he can figure out. Do you have any links that goes into more detail on how to determine if what your suggesting is the issue, and how to fix it? Anything you got would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No, I don't have any links. Shift cable is pretty easy. Just find where its attached to the transmission and note the position of the lever that the cable attaches to. With the key on and parking brake on move the shiftier all the way down, then look at the lever again to see if it moved. If it didn't move then the cable or something else in the linkage is broken.

Range sensor requires you to have an electrical schematic of the transmission control wiring and a meter to test it with.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just curious, did you ever find where the TCM was located? I have a 2009 Mazda 3i Touring and can not find mine either.

·
Registered
502 Posts
LOL. Not laughing at you, btw.

The 3i has a 2.0L engine. There is no TCM. It only has an integrated ECU (or whatever they are calling it) that is next to the battery box.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No, I don't have any links. Shift cable is pretty easy. Just find where its attached to the transmission and note the position of the lever that the cable attaches to. With the key on and parking brake on move the shiftier all the way down, then look at the lever again to see if it moved. If it didn't move then the cable or something else in the linkage is broken.

Range sensor requires you to have an electrical schematic of the transmission control wiring and a meter to test it with.
Mattmatt,

Good suggestions.

If the shift cable is still intact at the transmission (and that's very each to check), then likely the cable attachment is broken at the shifter. There are video and such on replacing/fixing that component because it is prone to breaking. Sucks, but it happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I believe your car doesn’t have it what you have is a Ecu/PCM connected to the battery tray on the side that may need replacing or reworking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts