Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my wife has a 2008 Mazda 3 with the 2.0. I have replaced the water pump 3 times now and they keep failing.

The first two I used advanced auto parts water pump and they worked fine for a month or two and then it started leaking by the pulley. I assume from the weap hole. It was inside the water pump pulley and getting flung.

Then we used the AutoZone brand one and now it's leaking again it's been a few months since I replaced it with that.

Has anyone has constant failures with these water pumps? Is something else causing this?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try a gates pump from Rock Auto, I would also inspect the engine block for cracks.
I just can't believe 2 advance pumps would fail and now the AutoZone one now too. I wouldn't think there's any cracks because everytime the pump is replaced it's good for a month or two no leaks or issue. The leak is always inside the pulley lip not on the block either the freeze out plug or that weap hole.

· Registered
2006 Mazda 3 GT Hatch with 2014 Fusion 2.5 swap :)
671 Posts
Ok, Another thing to check is coolant system over pressurization ?? T-stat and cooling fan working ? Plugged radiator? Corroded block? Serpentine belt too tight (wrong size). Pulley alignment ? Just some more ideas..

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Another thing to check is coolant system over pressurization ?? T-stat and cooling fan working ? Plugged radiator? Corroded block? Serpentine belt too tight (wrong size). Pulley alignment ? Just some more ideas..
I would assume cooling system was fine heat worked fine for months and now again this issue. Any coolant that has come out of it was clean looking. Just very strange.

· Registered
128 Posts
While I wouldn't recommend getting the water pump from Advanced nor Auto Zone, three of them bad immediately seems suspicious. Have you looked at the serpentine belt tensioner? Maybe that's jammed up and applying excessive pressure on the water pump bearing??? Or maybe it is going in cockeyed somehow??

· Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue on my 2004 Mazda 3. I recently replaced engine after 422,000 miles but that engine had 8 water pumps in its lifetime. Engine that went in already leaking antifreeze at the weep hole with a new water pump. You know of anything or get it resolved please do tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts