Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i’m looking at picking up a parts car. I found one on Marketplace, description states it has low compression on cylinder 2 & 3. After talking to the dude for a while he says it is also on E30 but is not tuned? (Not sure if this guy doesn’t know anything about the car or if it’s really not tuned) He says it runs and drives but has zero throttle response and you have to have the throttle to the floor for it to start moving. Would a full rebuild on the head be needed or could this be a quick and easy fix? I’m assuming part of the throttle response is due to the E30 but I believe it still will most likely need a rebuild.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it is a speed3 you probably need a new block and to get the head machined at a machine shop. I'll probably get attacked by a moderator on here for saying what follows, but regardless a great option is to go with a block from a Ford Fusion 2.5 which can be had as cheap at $200. A machine shop can refresh your head for maybe another $200. You'll need to route a new oil return line to the oil pan and a few other details, but it is a very cost effective way to get a new better engine, as many have done. You won't really know the cause of your dead 2.3 until you break it down. It might be a blown head gasket but regardless since you will be that far in it is better to just replace it as outlined above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts