Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, and read all the posts of the past couple of years about the hard to read oil dipstick on the recent model year Mazda 3s. They don't seem to solve my issue.

FYI, my car has the 2.0 motor.

My situation is:

1. The oil level was too high when I got the car home from the dealer (there were 38 miles on the odometer). I went back to the dealer the following weekend, they checked the oil, said it was fine, even though we're both looking at the same dipstick, and I can see the oil is way past the line.

2. So I go to an oil change place, they check it, they agree it is overfilled. I curse the Mazda dealer as being lazy and not caring. The oil change place drains roughly 1/2 a quart out, and the oil is at the right level per the dipstick.

3. Being protective of my new car, I just had the oil+filter changed, there are just over 650 miles on the odometer. Thought it would be a good idea to remove contaminants, particulate, etc that might be in there because the engine is new. I watch the tech (not a Mazda dealer, but a good shop) put in exactly 4.5 quarts (out of one quart bottles). This is the right quantity per the owner's manual (and per what I have subsequently been able to find on the web). Yet, the dipstick shows the level as overfilled! The tech and I both looked at the dipstick, he says he put in what his computer database says is the right number of quarts, so he does not want to adjust for what seems to be a bad dipstick.

My question is, WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON !?

I brought the car home, let it sit for over an hour - the level still shows as overfilled.

I'm not a duffus who does not know how to read a dipstick. Neither are the techs I have spent time talking to. Yes, the dipstick is absolutely AWFUL on the 2007 - but it can be read.

I'm wondering if the dipstick was cut too long ... is this possible? How would you get that checked? Or where can I get a new dipstick? Or get the current dipstick's length adjusted?

Or is the 4.5 quart crankcase capacity number wrong (for the 2.0 engine)? Anyone know of a good website where I can doublecheck that?

Can anyone help? Similar experiences?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes they are a pain to read, but you get used to it (2006 has the same cable dipstick). It's possible it was cut to long; but I'd consider it unlikely. If you go back to the dealer you could ask them to pull the dipstick out of another 3 on the lot and try it out/compare lengths.

FWIW the oil capacity in my manual says the fill spec is 4.3qts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is the right quantity per the owner's manual (and per what I have subsequently been able to find on the web)
You have to remember that the oil quantity listed in owner's manual was most likley measured when the engine was filled up for the first time i/e there was no oil inside it prior (this is just an assumption). When you do an oil change, there is always some oil left (camshafts have a pool of oil underneath to lubricate them as one example) and you can't drain that oil no matter how long you wait.
Dealerships and lube places go the easy way and just dial the number on their pump with whatever the manufacturer specifies. This way they don't have to check the dipstick so they can do it faster. Also nobody can accuse them of not following owner's manual.

Your dipstick is OK, owners manual is a guide so that you can get a sufficient amount of oil when you buy. How much you put in depends on how much you can drain. And depending on how the car is positioned during draining procedure, the amount of oil drained can vary (probably by 1/4 quart).

So go by you dipstick and not what dealer or lube place tells you, at least thets what I do.

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts