Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any clue if the 07 (might be in older models too, not sure) has a ground inside the armrest console?
I am running an ipod through the armrest aux-in (using a belkin ipod line-out adapter to bypass ipod amp) but am still getting a buzzing sound on volume levels above 10~. A friend suggested a ground loop isolator (might be mis-remembering the name) but I wasn't too hyped about drilling or anything to find a ground to connect to. However, the other while poking around I noticed a huge bolt in the very bottom of the console.
Anyone know if this bolt is grounded out and could serve as the ground for an isolator as mentioned above?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This question might be pointless now...
The original ground isolator I was looking at had a ground cable attached to it.
It seems like most isolators do not have a ground cable, I was just looking at an odd one : (

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ueiILuEGYdV/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135&tab=review
This looks like what I actually need...
Will post if it works. To this point I've spent:
Belkin adapter -40$ (charges ipod, auto powers on car turn on, provides high quality line out)
Stereo patch cable -5$
Isolator - 17$

~60$ for a near perfect sounding ipod integration (thats easy enough for a computer specialized audio ignorant person like me to install...)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Old problem, easy fix, and you're on the money. That Crutchfield GLI will completely eliminate the noise. After reading plenty about it, I gave it a go and it's two thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The grounding sucks in the center console. +1 on the GLI. I'm using a radioshack model and that fixed everything right up. Ever since ive been using an ipod and a car charger ive had to use one. There a bitch to hide behind the dash, too.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67023.msg1151857#msg1151857 date=1168931127]
The grounding sucks in the center console.[/quote]

This is not accurate info at all. I've got 1100 watts rms worth of amps grounded to the bolts that secure the emergency brake to the chassis floor. Zero engine noise, no groundning issues, perfect place to ground.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=67023.msg1152092#msg1152092 date=1168960092]
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67023.msg1151857#msg1151857 date=1168931127]

This is not accurate info at all. I've got 1100 watts rms worth of amps grounded to the bolts that secure the emergency brake to the chassis floor. Zero engine noise, no groundning issues, perfect place to ground.
[/quote]

I mean in terms of the 12v plug and aux in.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67023.msg1152250#msg1152250 date=1168965718]
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=67023.msg1152092#msg1152092 date=1168960092]

[/quote]

I mean in terms of the 12v plug and aux in.
[/quote]

Yeah, Mazda didn't sufficiently isolate the audio input, so it gets alternator whine whenever something is being charged.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The gli I bought at radioshack has a big cylinder at one end. It is so big that behind my head unit it will not fit down any of the openings. I eventually got it to fit but it is tight back there now.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=mentalcase link=topic=67023.msg1152856#msg1152856 date=1168984479]
The gli I bought at radioshack has a big cylinder at one end. It is so big that behind my head unit it will not fit down any of the openings. I eventually got it to fit but it is tight back there now.

[/quote]

Gotcha. I hada similar problem with the radio shack one when I put one in my sister's car. One reason I like the crutchfield one better.... it's a littls smaller.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yeah, Mazda didn't sufficiently isolate the audio input, so it gets alternator whine whenever something is being charged
Hmm, I haven't experienced this problem at all with an aftermarket HU. I used the factory ground and power for the HU as well.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=67023.msg1153975#msg1153975 date=1169046629]
Yeah, Mazda didn't sufficiently isolate the audio input, so it gets alternator whine whenever something is being charged
Hmm, I haven't experienced this problem at all with an aftermarket HU. I used the factory ground and power for the HU as well.

[/quote]

the problem is that they didn't shield the audio input well enough, so when you plug it up you're getting interference from the ground between your power adapter and the stereo. If you're just using a HU then there's no "other ground" for it to interfere with.

[quote author=tbaltz link=topic=67023.msg1152946#msg1152946 date=1168987949]
Doesn't a gli just fix the symptoms instead of the problem? Problem usually being inadequate ground? just wondering.
[/quote]

The problem doesn't come from inadequate ground, but from the difference of potential between the two grounding points. Putting the GLI on is fixing the problem.... just like if they'd shielded everything in the first place.

Check out Wikipedia's stuff on ground loops for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi. I also have the same problem with my Mazdaspeed 3 and I took my car in to my dealership to see if there is anything they can do to fix this. I was told by my dealership that the buzzing/hum that changes with acceleration was within there normal specs. I was like WTF. I then started looking up options as you are to solve this problem for my Sirius Satellite radio. Well because I live in Toronto and the PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter is not available here by any Ontario PAC supplier so I bought it off ebay and it just arrived today and I can tell you for sure that it gets rid of all that noise problems and preserves the sound without changing the volume. So I would recomend getting it, it is quick and does not need any extra skills to install other than plugging it in.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Spyder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts