Mazda3 Forums banner

2006 RX-7???

27K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  DeDster 
#1 ·
Anyone know if there is truth to this, I found it on MotorTrend.
2006 Mazda RX-7: If the RX-8 is the success Mazda is banking on, a two-door RX-7 may follow for 2006. On the drawing board is a shortened, lighter car boasting 280-330 hp.

#3 ·
billyfo said:
For me I think RX-7 will not be existed even RX-8 sell well, cause if you have a 4-dr coupe, 2-dr 2-seater will not sell a lot with the same platform and same or higher hp engine.
That's not true at all. Why do you think there are 4 door and 2 door accords?

Personally, I would rather buy a two door rx7 then the rx8. Its sportier... and thats awesome.

#4 ·
A790 said:
billyfo said:
For me I think RX-7 will not be existed even RX-8 sell well, cause if you have a 4-dr coupe, 2-dr 2-seater will not sell a lot with the same platform and same or higher hp engine.
That's not true at all. Why do you think there are 4 door and 2 door accords?

Personally, I would rather buy a two door rx7 then the rx8. Its sportier... and thats awesome.
As Telly talking about the RX-7 and RX-8, they are both coupe, Accord on the other hand are sedan and coupe, totally different status.

Of course, I would have the 7 instead of 8, but like the Vette and Camaro, one selling good and one dead, two similar cars will cause some problems for manufacture, at least for car selling part, but don't ask me why :lol: :lol:

#5 ·
I think an RX-7 would be wise. With Toyota re-releasing the Supra, and Nissan bringing back the Skyline, it would be smart for Mazda to follow suit. Now if only Mitsu would make a new 3000GT...

#8 ·
Yes G35 has the same platform as the Z... bascially

with the suspension being more sporty for the Z, cuz G35 goes a bit more along the luxury line

Btw, when is Toyota re-releasing the supra?? that's sweet, and the skyline GTR?

#13 ·
well.....this thread was suppose to talk about RX-7 ppl....haha

anyway, i think it can be possible, since NSX came back too..
they'll know that RX-8 just can't get the market..

#15 ·
Well, let us see if we can get back on topic :roll:

I think a new rotary powered coupe would be great, but they should reconsider what to call it. For possible marketing purposes (and to keep the old fans of the RX-7's happy) they should give it a different name. After all, it would have the new Renesis engine (or some variation of it) rather than the twin-turbo'ed 13B of the late 90's. (The twin-turbo'ed 13b was fun, but so unreliable and high maintenance)

The only issues I can see of this rumoured car not becoming a reality is if Mazda doesn't fix their problems with the current RX-8 and it's sales track.

My roommate had a yellow RX-8, one of the first ones out in the market but he returned it when it was discovered that it didn't produce the claimed horsepower.

Directly related to the new Renesis motor, the cons of it are that it doesn't make the 250 claimed hp (in MT form anyway), it's more like 237 hp. Does a 13hp make a difference to some people? Apparently, it does, because Mazda offered a full refund for RX-8 owners who acquired their cars before September 2003. My roommate/buddy joined that list. The other cons I've heard about the Renesis motor is that it is a gas-guzzler. My roommate swore he was only getting, on average, about 15mpg combined city/highway. But that's what you get with a sport car :wink: . The other thing that I've read on the rx8club.com forums is that the Renesis engine might flood if you're not careful on how quickly you stop and start your engine. Basically, if the engine get's flooded, it won't start again till you unflood your engine.

I'm hoping that Mazda can address and fix some of the aforementioned problems with the Renesis before making a new 2-door sport rotary powered coupe. Give us our high-revving 300hp+ rotary sport coupe Mazda! And let us having the icing on the cake that we can eat too!

#16 ·
SBTanMan said:
Toyota's bringing back the Supra? Sweeeeet. Also, isn't the Infinity G35 coupe basically the same as the Nissan Skyline? I'm glad to see the era of superfast import coupes isn't over for good.
I wouldn't consider the Skyline the same as the G35 coupe. I think that the G35 coupe might be a dumbed down version of the Skyline concept car. The Skyline R-34 has a 2.6 liter, straight six, twin turbocharged engine. It is also All wheel drive and has 4-wheel steering.

I do like the G35, but compared to the Skyline R34 the G35 coupe is more for comfort and less for sport.

#18 ·
mnemonicj said:
SBTanMan said:
Toyota's bringing back the Supra? Sweeeeet. Also, isn't the Infinity G35 coupe basically the same as the Nissan Skyline? I'm glad to see the era of superfast import coupes isn't over for good.
I wouldn't consider the Skyline the same as the G35 coupe. I think that the G35 coupe might be a dumbed down version of the Skyline concept car. The Skyline R-34 has a 2.6 liter, straight six, twin turbocharged engine. It is also All wheel drive and has 4-wheel steering.

I do like the G35, but compared to the Skyline R34 the G35 coupe is more for comfort and less for sport.
Read before u write, ppl.
one of the members already said earlier in the thread...

There's a Nissan Skyline sedan (that is exactly the same as the G35 here, it is just named G35 outside of japan)

the GT-Rs are a different story,
the R32, R34 they all have inline 6 (,yes,) and AWD as well

the GT-Rs are sports car
where as there's Skyline that is a sedan!!!!

#20 ·
Inno said:
mnemonicj said:
SBTanMan said:

Read before u write, ppl.
one of the members already said earlier in the thread...

There's a Nissan Skyline sedan (that is exactly the same as the G35 here, it is just named G35 outside of japan)

the GT-Rs are a different story,
the R32, R34 they all have inline 6 (,yes,) and AWD as well

the GT-Rs are sports car
where as there's Skyline that is a sedan!!!!
Chill the fnck out! geez. Go get laid or something...

The Skyline V35 is only available with a 2.5L or a 3.0L. The 3.0L puts out 260hp The same as the 3.5L G35. Still not much of a comparison. Why the heck don't we get that here? Or at least kick up the 3.5 liter a little bit more.

#21 ·
Here in NA, they like big CC cars. They want more mid-rpm torque, thus being more comfortable rather than in asia where they like small CC engines with big horsepower output in the top-end of rpm.

If they kick up the G35, the coupe and 350Z's sales will go down, since if u offer them the same kind of power in a sports car to the sedan...

#24 ·
BitBit@Enigma said:
Are the rear seats on a RX8 usable anyway? I remember last time seeing a RX8 at an autoshow and it seems like it's impossible to fit anyone older than 3yrs old back there. Mazda may as well weld the rear doors shut and all it a RX7 :lol:
well most coupes are designed that way anyway..
u can still seat ppl, just very uncomfortable

#26 ·
98LX said:
mnemonicj said:
Chill the fnck out! geez. Go get laid or something...
Always a sophisticated come back.
No, I just know what it is like when I haven't had any in awhile :lol:

I personally don't like the doors on the Mazda RX-8. If I owned one, I would make sure that the passenger side rear door would never open so no one could acidentally try to close the doors in the wrong order and cause some damage. At least on the driver's side I would make sure to close my door last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.