Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I washed my car the other day seeing as its been nice out and havent done so in a week or so. I park my car, proceed to get out and walk towards the trunk when something catchs my eye:

My 2006 31,000 mile Mazda3 I bought new 3yrs ago is rusting and the paint is flicking away?! Anyone have any ideas why? Bad paint? Odd occurance? There is no indentation so I don't think anything hit it.

Does the dealership cover such things? I was really surprised when I saw it! Heck my 9yr old Pontiac Sunfire I traded in for the 3, which was a pile of crap, didn't even have rust :x

I was very sad when I saw it. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Definetely NOT a rare occurence if this were an 2004. I have rust stains beginning to bleed through the paint from the inside in the exact same spot on my 2004 (one of the many spots on my rust magnet 2004).

The only question is whether 2005-2009's are not yet showing the type of rusting 2004's are simply because they are newer (but will still show up in a year or two) or if the quality of the steel/galvanizing/seam sealing/painting system has actually been improved to bring the cars into the same league as other auto manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if this is somehow related to environmental concerns (ie "environmentally friendly" paint that trades off durability in order to be more 'green').

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've got a few rust spots/bubbles showing up on my '05 with about 55K on the odometer. I should probably start looking into it. Anybody know what the warranty period is for rust and what the stipulations are?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yea i got to say, I have an 04 and I have rust sopts on my hood and my roof..not very happy about it, I got 78k on the odometer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
have an 05 no rust is showing, but it has spent it life in SC 1st now TN, so too early to tell on mine yet

·
Registered
616 Posts
Warranty most likely will not cover it. Like bulletcatcher829 said, most likely the steel will have to be rusted through. I took my car to the dealer (2005 w/ 51,000 miles- bought brand new) and they said in order for it to be covered the rust either had to work its way out from the inside of the car, or had to be completely rusted through. Mine isnt that bad YET, but its starting, and thats what had my concern. You'd think treating it early would be easier/ cheaper for mazda, but apparently letting their 1st gen mazda 3's rot through is easier. As far as I'm concerned, Mazda is going to lose a lot of customer because of this problem. I'm one of them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Letting it rot through IS easier/cheaper for Mazda, because by the time that indeed happens you are going to be out of warranty. Many people have rust issues on these cars, a great majority 2004/2005 owners, for now. You seem to be the newest member of the rust club with a 2006. Based on mileage most of us will not be able to do a damn thing about it, warranty wise. I agree, I love my Mazda but this is just unacceptable. I would not buy another.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see this thread has been moved again for like the 3rd time haha.

At any rate, thought I'd give an update. Called the dealership and they said a Mazda "Spokesperson" who is charge of such matters would be stopping by the dealership soon. They gave me a call back with the time to stop by and I did so. The rep came out, looked at my car, asked a bunch of questions regarding its year/mileage/etc., we popped back into the service center so he could research the VIN and that was it. He said it was covered under warranty and that it would be taken care of promptly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got an 05 with 66K on it and am getting the same thing only its about 4 inches long...I just noticed it this winter. I thought it had something to do with the salt or ice...but after seeing this I am happy I am not the only one who has this problem...if anyone finds out more please let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2007 Mazda 3i that is almost 2 years old with just under 22,000 miles. 2 winters in Central New York, and I already have a little surface rust starting on the inside of the rear wheel wells. Totally unnacceptable. I called the local dealer and I was told that "unless it is perforated through, surface rust & corrosion on any exterior sheet metal body panel is not covered under warranty." WTF! :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=psoryan link=topic=140147.msg3061972#msg3061972 date=1239837234]
I've got a 2007 Mazda 3i that is almost 2 years old with just under 22,000 miles. 2 winters in Central New York, and I already have a little surface rust starting on the inside of the rear wheel wells. Totally unnacceptable. I called the local dealer and I was told that "unless it is perforated through, surface rust & corrosion on any exterior sheet metal body panel is not covered under warranty." WTF! :evil: :evil:
[/quote]

this is the case for virtually all cars sold today. surface rust is not covered by warranty. only perforations are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great. I imagine I'll have the same problem living here in WI. Which warranty is in question? Is it the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper? Or is there a separate warranty concerning paint/rust?

·
Registered
39 Posts
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25439

Mine was covered through the dealer last fall when I had over 100k on my car. Took one person to create a lot of noise about it to get it really going though for the rest of us in Ontario.
I was rusted in the following areas:

Same as OP, rear wheel well/bumper joint
Wheel wells
Front bumper/wheel well joints
Third brake light (sedan)
Left tail light
Bottom of all doors (blistering)
Inside the doors on the bottom

They repainted all areas, and added 3M tape to the areas that would be most affected by rock chips.
Some of the rust has started to reform so I will be taking it back to the dealer this summer to have it redone (since they told me to see how it holds up over the winter)
Total cost of the job as over $2000 but I didn't pay a cent, thanks to the person who started it all.

Hope the above link helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
[quote author=psoryan link=topic=140147.msg3061972#msg3061972 date=1239837234]
I've got a 2007 Mazda 3i that is almost 2 years old with just under 22,000 miles. 2 winters in Central New York, and I already have a little surface rust starting on the inside of the rear wheel wells. Totally unnacceptable. I called the local dealer and I was told that "unless it is perforated through, surface rust & corrosion on any exterior sheet metal body panel is not covered under warranty." WTF![/quote]

My '07 3 is rusting in the rear wheel wells, too. It's especially frustrating when I park it next to my neighbor's older Pontiac which hasn't been washed in at least two years and that car shows no signs of rust. If it were five or six years old I'd be fine with it, but this is ridiculous after only two and a half winters.

I think I'm going to take some pictures and send them to Mazda USA and ask them what they think of a well-maintained car rusting after two years. It does not bode well for me replacing my Mazda3 with another new Mazda in a few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ElJay, let me know if you get a reply back from Mazda USA. I'm curious as to what they will say. If it works out in your favor, I'll do the same with mine since the only local Mazda dealer won't do squat right now....Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts