Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a 2006 Mazda3 s Touring with 30k miles and many options including the Sport-Tronic trans. Noticed a vibration during highway test drive and dealer is replacing front wheel bearing under warranty, which is about to expire.
Have read that earlier Mazdas had common problems with wheel bearings.
What is the experience with 2006 Mazda3 bearings?
On a side note, what other surprises can I expect from this car?
Thanks...

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
while i have seen some posts regarding wheel bearings, it doesn't seem to be overly common. you should have them check the motor mounts because that is a common issue.

I haven't had any issues with my '06...

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 06 Sedan @ 64k miles has had the following issues so far:

Rear brake calipers seized.
Interior LEDs went out.
#3 Engine Mount Cracked

·
Registered
67 Posts
My '05 just had to have the passanger front wheel bearing/hub replaced. Cost me $434 including tax and a wheel alignment. Be glad you're getting it done under warrenty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 05 had its driver side wheel bearings replaced last year... just before warranty expired
I figure it was due to auto-x on sticky rubbers :lol:
tech said he hasn't seen 3s with bearing problems... FWIW

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i believe it's just the bearing, although even that isn't particularly cheap.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=Chickababe250 link=topic=134758.msg3077575#msg3077575 date=1240442381]
are the front bearings just bearings, or the whole sealed hub assembly?
[/quote]

I believe the bearing is part of the hub, which is pressed in to the knuckle. This makes it a non-DIY job unless you 1) Can buy a knuckle/hub preassembled (you can for some cars) 2) you own a 10t hydraulic press. Of course you could do most of the work and then have the old hub/bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in at any half competent machine shop.
-Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
Aftermarket only offers bearing and hub assembly seperate. Bearing runs $80 and hub assembly runs $105 w/abs or $118 w/o abs. Like previous poster mentioned, if your mechanically inclined do the work yourself and have a machine shop press the bearing into your stock hub, save yourself money!!!! Prices are from the store I work at in mid-missouri so they may vary in your region.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's walk-in price at the Carquest store I work at. It's crazy to think that you used to be able to get wheel bearings for $20-$30 each. What I don't understand is why all of a sudden the old style wheel bearings that worked for 50 years aren't good enough anymore. Now all you can do is replace a $300 hub assembly. Guess the engineers wouldn't have a job if they didn't change designs.

·
Registered
781 Posts
82k on my 06 with no troubles at all

·
Registered
158 Posts
[quote author=05M3HB link=topic=134758.msg3079561#msg3079561 date=1240517519]
Aftermarket only offers bearing and hub assembly seperate. Bearing runs $80 and hub assembly runs $105 w/abs or $118 w/o abs. [/quote]

This is incorrect. The bearing and hub on a the Mazda3 is one unit. The front is pressed into the knuckle, the rear is bolted on, in either case, when you buy a new bearing assembly, you get a new hub/lug studs already pressed into the inner bearing race.

I replaced the drivers side at 75k on the 3.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well I guess Carquest's info is completely wrong then. Because we also list a bearing seperately for the front on a 3.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me that the info is a little out of whack, it's probably very new, when I bought mine it was dealer or online (Rockauto.com) only.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In the rain with worn tires, I hydroplaned in my 06 hatch and knocked the front right wheel a bit. Screwed up the alignment, and scuffed the wheel, but it wasn't awful. After having an alignment done and the wheel touched up, I noticed a vibration when steering left, and knew it was the baring immediately. Brought it in, and sure enough. Luckily it was covered under warranty, to my surprise. However, I cannot blame the car for this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts