Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Mazda3 with an open coil on the AC compressor clutch. I ordered a replacement and removed the AC clutch. When I went to put the replacement on I found that it would not fit. The ID of the bearing was 31.5mm with a relatively low cost digital micrometer. I was able to return the replacement to Amazon and I have been trying to determine if there are 2 different possible shaft/bearing sizes for this year Mazda 3 AC compressor. I measured the ID of the AC compressor clutch bearing the is in my vehicle and it measures 34.5 mm with the same digital micrometer.

I asked the previous owner (brother-in-law) if he ever had the compressor replaced and he said no. Any help on getting a replacement clutch would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2006 Mazda3 with an open coil on the AC compressor clutch. I ordered a replacement and removed the AC clutch. When I went to put the replacement on I found that it would not fit. The ID of the bearing was 31.5mm with a relatively low cost digital micrometer. I was able to return the replacement to Amazon and I have been trying to determine if there are 2 different possible shaft/bearing sizes for this year Mazda 3 AC compressor. I measured the ID of the AC compressor clutch bearing the is in my vehicle and it measures 34.5 mm with the same digital micrometer.

I asked the previous owner (brother-in-law) if he ever had the compressor replaced and he said no. Any help on getting a replacement clutch would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
FYI - I forgot to mention that I did order another AC clutch kit from a different vendor and ID of the bearing was also in the 31.5mm range so I am returning it as well. I also double checked the ID of the bearing that is from my Mazda3 and it is in the 34.5mm range.

In my quest, I did find a reference in one of the groups (or in an ad for a replacement bearing) to the ID of the AC clutch bearing and being 32mm or so. I can't remember exact figure, but I got the impression that the AC clutch kits I am receiving for replacements are the correct ones for the '06 Mazda3.

I suspect that either:
1) They used 2 different vendor AC compressors for the 06 Mazda3 - the majority of which uses the 31.5mm bearing. I guess since I hear that shops usually want to replace the entire AC compressor when there is an issue that a compressor clutch kit could fix, this would be a mute issue for most cases.
2) The compressor in my Mazda3 was replaced at some point with an aftermarket compressor that was compatible, but used a different bearing/shaft diameter. While my brother-in-law was the original owner and said the compressor was never replaced, he is not technically inclined and might not have realized at some point when he had his car in the shop.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anything to identifying the compressor in my 3. I contacted another vendor of AC clutch kits and their customer service department was receptive. The looked up my VIN and said the clutch kit that they had listed for the '06 Mazda3 was not for my car. I'm not sure how they determined that - but they said that their tech support would be emailing me today or so...

In the meantime, if anyone has any input on this issue it would be appreciated....

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a reply from the vendor that was looking into my issue. They simply said that they do not have a replacement clutch kit for my vehicle. Now, their site says that they have a kit for an '06 Mazda3, so again it leads me to think there is something unique about my car that might be identifiable by the VIN, I did see a recommended reading post in this forum that asks about a Non-OEM replacement clutch kit. They specify - "This is an 03/06 model with the larger high-speed pulley (compressor CC4361450E based on dealer VIN lookup)." - so I think they are saying that the 03/06 models have a different compressor. This would agree with what I am seeing so I hope this leads me somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks,
Mike
FYI - I forgot to mention that I did order another AC clutch kit from a different vendor and ID of the bearing was also in the 31.5mm range so I am returning it as well. I also double checked the ID of the bearing that is from my Mazda3 and it is in the 34.5mm range.

In my quest, I did find a reference in one of the groups (or in an ad for a replacement bearing) to the ID of the AC clutch bearing and being 32mm or so. I can't remember exact figure, but I got the impression that the AC clutch kits I am receiving for replacements are the correct ones for the '06 Mazda3.

I suspect that either:
1) They used 2 different vendor AC compressors for the 06 Mazda3 - the majority of which uses the 31.5mm bearing. I guess since I hear that shops usually want to replace the entire AC compressor when there is an issue that a compressor clutch kit could fix, this would be a mute issue for most cases.
2) The compressor in my Mazda3 was replaced at some point with an aftermarket compressor that was compatible, but used a different bearing/shaft diameter. While my brother-in-law was the original owner and said the compressor was never replaced, he is not technically inclined and might not have realized at some point when he had his car in the shop.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anything to identifying the compressor in my 3. I contacted another vendor of AC clutch kits and their customer service department was receptive. The looked up my VIN and said the clutch kit that they had listed for the '06 Mazda3 was not for my car. I'm not sure how they determined that - but they said that their tech support would be emailing me today or so...

In the meantime, if anyone has any input on this issue it would be appreciated....

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FY - I think I found a reference to the larger diameter bearing in my Mazda. This P/N is for the pulley, but at least it acknowledges that there is a different pulley, which I equate to shaft ID, I will probably be able to find a replacement AC compressor clutch kit now. My thanks to the post I mentioned in reply that led me to the P/N of my compressor (I hope....)
Pulley Assembly - Mazda (BP4S-61-L20)
2004-2010 Mazda

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for some of the duplicate updates....
Anyway, finding a part number for an AC compressor kit for my Mazda3 is becoming more confusing than it needs to be. I checked with one Mazda parts dealer and he said they only carry the entire compressor and he had no idea whether or not Mazda used different types of compressors for my year/model.

It's been implied from what I am finding that there is a "standard pulley" and a "high speed pulley" for Mazda3. I'm still not sure if they mean the turbo model when they mention the "high speed". I know the turbo pulley has 6 grooves vs. 5 and mine has 5. I also found a reference to Mazdaspeed which I think is the turbo but not sure....

I found a dealer on line in Georgia that has what looks like excerpts from a Mazda parts catalogue posted. That was helpful but not conclusive as to what is what. Even if there is a "standard" and "high speed" pulley for my vehicle I don't know yet which one I have. I can only presume I have the less common one.

They parts guy at the dealer in Georgia put me on hold when I called and it sounded like he was busy - I didn't want to waste his time since so I'll call him back later and see if he has any input. I suspect an old timer parts guy might know this info off the top of his head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted my issue on another Mazda site. I only got a couple replies from one person there as well. This must not be as common of an issue as I would have thought. I was at the point of buying the incorrect AC clutch kit and a new correct bearing and swapping bearings. See a copy of my last post on the other site. I hope this helps someone else that has this issue. If nothing else, it gives another technique for troubleshooting.

-----------------------------------
From Mazda3Revolution forum:

FYI - I realized that even if I change the bearing from a replacement AC clutch/pulley, the pulley might be the wrong diameter. With that in mind I did some more digging into AC belts for my vehicle. I found a post that makes sense for belt issues as well as my clutch kit issue. Rather than paraphrase, I'll just paste the post and give credit to the poster from the Mazda3 forum.
------------------------------------
From machr85 -
Apr 18, 2014

OK everyone i got an update on this topic that noone has talked about or mention, i called rockauto and spoke with a guy who knew what he was talking about, he said for ac belt you have 2 different numbers: 4050272S and the other 4050264S now here is the catch, 4050272S says From VIN # 040901 and 4050264S says To VIN # 040901, the from means from those last 6 digits of the vin and up, is what that belt is recommended, and the To means from those last 6 digits down, my vins last 6 were 404439 meaning i need the 4050272S, which by the way says with high speed pulley so i guess my model came with it, i have an 06 3 hatch 2.3 5speed. Hope this helps

--------------------------------------

The above makes sense and would answer a lot of my questions/confusion regarding my 2006 Mazda3 w/2.3L
1) There are 2 different AC compressor pulley possibilities
2) The VIN will differentiate which to use
3) Based on my VIN it looks like I have the high speed pulley. The high speed pulley is not the same as Mazdaspeed
4) This explains post from other poster that had to buy an OEM AC belt to get one that wouldn't squeal/slip.

With that in mind I contacted another vendor to see if they have a clutch kit for my AC. At least I now know more of what I am talking about and can have a reasonable discussion to try to find my part.

I'll update after I hear back from vendor (or vendors).

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted my issue on another Mazda site. I only got a couple replies from one person there as well. This must not be as common of an issue as I would have thought. I was at the point of buying the incorrect AC clutch kit and a new correct bearing and swapping bearings. See a copy of my last post on the other site. I hope this helps someone else that has this issue. If nothing else, it gives another technique for troubleshooting.

-----------------------------------
From Mazda3Revolution forum:

FYI - I realized that even if I change the bearing from a replacement AC clutch/pulley, the pulley might be the wrong diameter. With that in mind I did some more digging into AC belts for my vehicle. I found a post that makes sense for belt issues as well as my clutch kit issue. Rather than paraphrase, I'll just paste the post and give credit to the poster from the Mazda3 forum.
------------------------------------
From machr85 -
Apr 18, 2014

OK everyone i got an update on this topic that noone has talked about or mention, i called rockauto and spoke with a guy who knew what he was talking about, he said for ac belt you have 2 different numbers: 4050272S and the other 4050264S now here is the catch, 4050272S says From VIN # 040901 and 4050264S says To VIN # 040901, the from means from those last 6 digits of the vin and up, is what that belt is recommended, and the To means from those last 6 digits down, my vins last 6 were 404439 meaning i need the 4050272S, which by the way says with high speed pulley so i guess my model came with it, i have an 06 3 hatch 2.3 5speed. Hope this helps

--------------------------------------

The above makes sense and would answer a lot of my questions/confusion regarding my 2006 Mazda3 w/2.3L
1) There are 2 different AC compressor pulley possibilities
2) The VIN will differentiate which to use
3) Based on my VIN it looks like I have the high speed pulley. The high speed pulley is not the same as Mazdaspeed
4) This explains post from other poster that had to buy an OEM AC belt to get one that wouldn't squeal/slip.

With that in mind I contacted another vendor to see if they have a clutch kit for my AC. At least I now know more of what I am talking about and can have a reasonable discussion to try to find my part.

I'll update after I hear back from vendor (or vendors).

Mike
So what happened? I have a 2007 and standard pulley worked. I'm glad I don't have that issue...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what happened? I have a 2007 and standard pulley worked. I'm glad I don't have that issue...
Sorry for the long delay. Once the weather cooled off I went on to other projects. I just started looking for the correct aftermarket AC clutch kit for my car again, and hopefully will find one. I found what appears to be a good AC compressor vendor that has customer service along with sales that I spoke with before purchase. They were aware of the 2 different size pulleys for the '06 Mazda3, but I got some conflicting info regarding VIN and which pulley works so I am going to try to get to the label on my compressor before ordering. I didn't want to keep updating every step of the way since that gets a little tedious and of no value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts