Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, this is not related to the 3, but being a fan of all things Mazda, as well as an artist who's enjoyed dreaming up my own car designs for several years, I have decided to finally interpret one of my many idea sketches into a fully realized illustration. I originally came up with a sketch that interpreted the look of the RX-8 into a two door coupe. This illustration captures the same proportion of my sketch, but the look has been refined to better emulate the new Mazda design characteristics. I wanted my RX-7 idea to emulate the look of the RX-8, but as I'm sure we all probably know, the RX-7 will not have the same utilitarian compromises of the RX-8, and will be Mazda's true flagship (as it always has been) when it debuts.

As such, I wanted this design to take the look even further, and make it edgier and aggressive, whereas the RX-8 is voluptuous and curvy. You can see where I drew inspiration in the roof pillar and rear glass, as well as the front fender and headlight. Also key to the Mazda look are the elliptical tail lights, which are here as well. Unfortunately, I did steal the RX-8's wheels to plant them on here in order to complete the Mazda look ... they may be grossly overexaggerated in size with tires that strain realism, but keep in mind that they are strictly for artistic embellishment! About my only self-criticism of this design (and I suspect one that others would point out also) is that it is excessively long in the hood considering it is supposedly powered by a small rotary engine. I know, I know. Nevertheless, it communicates the idea ... if I had to go back and do it again, I would definetely shorten the hood.

At first I had started with the traditional red color, but then I thought I'd try silver, but I finally (and accidentally) stumbled upon this color of blue and thought it was perfect. Perhaps a bit dull though ... maybe I will brighten it up to a much more eye-catching "laser neon supernova antimatter explosion metallic" sporty blue sometime soon. :)

And no, this is not any kind of "chop" (except for the wheels) ... I despise chopping because it shows no creativity and little integrity, so I get irritated with the people who do it and then say thanks for all the praise they get for their "innovative thinking". If I sound harsh, it's because I am ... I've been doing this as a hobby for years, so I get impatient with others who have no imaginations/skills of their own and aren't even willing to try. ::rant over:: :wink:

So, tell me what you all think ...

·
Registered
155 Posts
wow looks great, I've always wondered how people do stuff like that from scratch. Anyways I think it looks like a cross between a Dodge Viper and Aston Martin. I'm pretty sure the wheel fenders will be like that, reminescent of the RX-8. One small detail is I think the front lights are pointing down? or is it just cuz its curved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kaz,

Great, now I'M the one being chopped. :)

Thanks for the higher res wheels ... although, with the higher tire profile, it really brings out the disproportionate length of the design. I just keep thinking it should be a bit shorter ... with my super-low-profile tires and larger wheels, the length of the design isn't as overexaggerated. The rims need to stay obscenely large to make up for the excessive length of the design. :wink:

Thanks, maybe I'll tinker with it and upload a revised final render. :wink:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dru212702 said:
I've always wondered how people do stuff like that from scratch. Anyways I think it looks like a cross between a Dodge Viper and Aston Martin.
Dru,

I start from an original sketch to define proportion and placement of details, as well as establish the overall feel of the design. I do these final renderings completely from scratch in Photoshop using the sketch as a template. None of the original sketch is in there, though. And you're right, it does have a bit of Viper and Aston in it ... I said the same thing to myself as I was making it, hehe. Then again, this can be primarily attributed to the fact that the hood is way too long, suggesting a big engnine, and giving it a very roadster-like GT profile. The original sketch also looked a lot like a Maserati or Ferrari. It's true -- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose. :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I dont think we'll see 2006 mazda at all. Some mazda official said the RX8's aren't selling as planned, and they wont plan next gen. RX7 at all. I remember reading this on rx8forums like few months ago. Oh well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah. pretty much thats why. with a hood like that you would need a V-12 to fill it in heh. Well at least Mazda has a distinct styling to its new generation of cars. In general Japanese companies have always looked very similiar to each other. While BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, Etc. all have their own styles and signature designs.
It it is also a price issue, because with a car that costs less you can't spend as much on complex sheet metal etc.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I heard the RX-8 was selling well. Let me search for the article.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The firm's domestic sales grew 4.1 percent to 134,000 vehicles, helped by brisk demand for the "RX-8" sports car it introduced in April.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/business/7193165.htm

Posted on Wed, Nov. 05, 2003

Mazda Sees Profits Double in First Half
Associated Press

TOKYO - Profits at Mazda Motor Corp. more than doubled in the first half of its fiscal year on strong sales at home and in Europe, the automaker said Thursday. Mazda also lifted its sales outlook for the full year.

Net earnings rose to 11.2 billion yen for the April-September period, from 5.5 billion yen last year, said Mazda, which is 33.4 percent owned by the Ford Motor Co..

Revenue rose 4.3 percent to 1.210 trillion yen, from 1.159 trillion yen.

Mazda said that for the full year, it expects sales of 2.500 trillion yen, up from the 2.420 trillion yen it projected earlier. But it kept its profit estimates stable, forecasting an increase of 24 percent on year to 30 billion yen.

The company cited strong sales and cost cutting for the healthy half-year results.

In addition to strong sales in Japan and Europe, Mazda said its sales grew in China and Australia, while cost-cutting steps and a stronger euro also contributed to its profits.

The firm's domestic sales grew 4.1 percent to 134,000 vehicles, helped by brisk demand for the "RX-8" sports car it introduced in April.

Its unit sales in Western Europe in the January-June period rose 32 percent to 109,000 vehicles, thanks to strong sales of the "Mazda6" sports sedan, the company said.

Mazda's sales in North America for the January-June period fell 7.7 percent to 119,000. The Japanese automaker is now trying to revive slumping sales there by strengthening sales networks.

Its global unit sales for the April-September period rose 5.5 percent to 526,000 vehicles, Mazda said.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just thought I would post my latest update of the design. Sized up the higher res rims (courtesy of Kaz) and added some highlights to the tires, and cleaned up some of the surface reflections and highlights to bring out the details ... plus I gave it a saucy Velocity Red RX-8 paint job. :wink:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I like the picture that's actually here, but it looks a lot like other sports cars out there, like the corvette. But I'm sure the Mazda would be about half the price :) if it was produced.

·
Registered
172 Posts
schulkw said:
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/business/7193165.htm

Posted on Wed, Nov. 05, 2003

Mazda Sees Profits Double in First Half
Associated Press

TOKYO - Profits at Mazda Motor Corp. more than doubled in the first half of its fiscal year on strong sales at home and in Europe, the automaker said Thursday. Mazda also lifted its sales outlook for the full year.

Net earnings rose to 11.2 billion yen for the April-September period, from 5.5 billion yen last year, said Mazda, which is 33.4 percent owned by the Ford Motor Co..

Revenue rose 4.3 percent to 1.210 trillion yen, from 1.159 trillion yen.

Mazda said that for the full year, it expects sales of 2.500 trillion yen, up from the 2.420 trillion yen it projected earlier. But it kept its profit estimates stable, forecasting an increase of 24 percent on year to 30 billion yen.

The company cited strong sales and cost cutting for the healthy half-year results.

In addition to strong sales in Japan and Europe, Mazda said its sales grew in China and Australia, while cost-cutting steps and a stronger euro also contributed to its profits.

Its unit sales in Western Europe in the January-June period rose 32 percent to 109,000 vehicles, thanks to strong sales of the "Mazda6" sports sedan, the company said.

Mazda's sales in North America for the January-June period fell 7.7 percent to 119,000. The Japanese automaker is now trying to revive slumping sales there by strengthening sales networks.

Its global unit sales for the April-September period rose 5.5 percent to 526,000 vehicles, Mazda said.
There was a big demand for RX8 before all these HP issues and stuff, and when I went to mazda dealer like 2 weeks ago, I could see about 15 RX8's just sitting there at parking lot. I doubt they're selling that good at all. Of course there is still MZ3 and MZ6 that'll help mazda alot with profits. I think MPV is selling pretty well too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How is it possible to create things like that?

If you do it by your own man you own!

-Frank
lets hope mazda listen, cause if they make one - i'll buy one...

nice graphics skills, i'm not that way inclined in creating computer images... i know enough to get me outa trouble, but nothing to the extent of these designs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts