Mazda3 Forums banner

2006 Mazda 3 Vs. 2007 Civic Coupe

11K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  john_in_the_lbc 
#1 ·
2006 Mazda 3 Vs. 2007 Civic Coupe....

What car do you think would win when raced?

Just bored.....haha :lol:

#3 ·
The 2007 Civic Coupe is a boring car to drive. I test drove the coupe when I was looking at cars and it looks nice on the outside, but the inside is so boring and the car overall is just "vanilla". Nothing stood out. The car was slow, the transmission (auto) was very clunky and awkward, the suspension sucked. It was just not sporty at all for a coupe. Felt just like the sedan. Just a really boring cars, and I love hondas, I wasn't even really considering the 3 until i test drove the civic and was really disappointed.

#4 ·
I saw a civic SI with what I think was a factory body kit. Man it looked sweet, and supposedly has a good feel to the transmission.

Too bad they're expensive or I'd have gotten one instead of my Mazda3.

The image the new civics portray isn't really that good to me anymore. I remember back in the day everyone wanted a Civic SI... Now people see them on the road and they wonder how many ways they can kill it. hehe (I also wonder how much that thing cost for what it is...)

Then I see Evos and Stis and I think about how cocky the driver must be thinking he can pwn everything on the road...

haha... stereotypes...

#5 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love the civic Si, but the EX coupe sucked. If I had a little more cash, I would have picked up an SI sedan, but I just couldn't make myself spend that much cash. Plus it takes premium and the insurance is higher.

#6 ·
[quote author=jph102900 link=topic=71221.msg1252523#msg1252523 date=1173220176]
Don't get me wrong, I love the civic Si, but the EX coupe sucked. If I had a little more cash, I would have picked up an SI sedan, but I just couldn't make myself spend that much cash. Plus it takes premium and the insurance is higher.
[/quote]

forget to mention also how ugly the sedan in general is, si or not?

#8 ·
my 3 is faster than my nephews Si, up until about 75mph..

#10 ·
also

Skip pad - 3 > civic
Braking - 3 > civic
Slalom - 3 > civic

#11 ·
Having come from a Civic Coupe EX before my 3 I can tell you the Mazda has it hands down in all areas other than fuel economy. If MPG is your biggest concern then go for the Civic. If it's not, you can't loose with the 3. The Civc is not as sporty, taught, powerful. Don't get me wrong, I liked my Civic plenty but I like my 3 even more.

#13 ·
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=71221.msg1253430#msg1253430 date=1173246027]
[/quote]

Your nephew must not know how to drive... Not launching at high enough RPMs off the line. I am a Civic owner, if not evidenced by my avatar and have yet to drive a 3. I want to, and my girlfriend's brother just got one but it's a 2 L... I wanted to drive the 2.3L. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. In any event, it does look alot better on paper than the Civic and reviews have certainly pointed it out, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not fun to drive. AND in response to an earlier post, the interior of the Civic is ANYTHING but plain. I have never seen a car that looks like the inside of the new Civic. Saying it's "plain" is a load of bull. It gets knocked for being too out there in many a magazine review, espeically the raked 21.9 degree windshield and the massive dash, but I think it was very ergonomically and thoughtfully desgined. In any event, the Si would have been the choice for me had the dealers not have been asses and marked it up on top of me not being able to get an Si through my relatives that work for Honda. They would only give me an EX... But hey, I got it extremely cheap and I love my car, but I love the 3's as well. Just wanted to stick up for us Honda fanboys. :)

#14 ·
Facts of Life: Lesson 1. Mazda > Honda

Lesson 2. :sedansrule:

#16 ·
[quote author=bLaCkAnGeL07 link=topic=71221.msg1428708#msg1428708 date=1179807890]
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=71221.msg1253430#msg1253430 date=1173246027]
[/quote]

Your nephew must not know how to drive... Not launching at high enough RPMs off the line. I am a Civic owner, if not evidenced by my avatar and have yet to drive a 3. I want to, and my girlfriend's brother just got one but it's a 2 L... I wanted to drive the 2.3L. But hey, beggars can't be choosers. In any event, it does look alot better on paper than the Civic and reviews have certainly pointed it out, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not fun to drive. AND in response to an earlier post, the interior of the Civic is ANYTHING but plain. I have never seen a car that looks like the inside of the new Civic. Saying it's "plain" is a load of bull. It gets knocked for being too out there in many a magazine review, espeically the raked 21.9 degree windshield and the massive dash, but I think it was very ergonomically and thoughtfully desgined. In any event, the Si would have been the choice for me had the dealers not have been asses and marked it up on top of me not being able to get an Si through my relatives that work for Honda. They would only give me an EX... But hey, I got it extremely cheap and I love my car, but I love the 3's as well. Just wanted to stick up for us Honda fanboys. :)
[/quote]

lol, i thought i had added the "my nephew is a fat n00b" disclaimer, but that must've been another thread.
maybe he's good but i'm just awesome? :p

#18 ·
My bicycle has more torque than a Civic...

I just gathered some info form Honda and Mazda websites.... I know i am just looking at the engine here... but look at these numbers... they are crazy.... I don't need to explain them but a Mazda 3i has almost the same torque as a SI..... Come on!!!! And you need to rev your SI to 6100 rpm to get 139 lb/ft of torque...Don't even compare it to the MS3 numbers...

Torque HP

Civic Coupe/Sedan 1.8L 128 @ 4300 140 @ 6300
Mazda 3i 2.0L 135 @ 4500 148 @ 6500
Mazda 3s 2.3L 150 @ 4500 156 @ 6500
Civic Si 2.0L 139 @ 6100 197 @ 7800
MazdaSpeed3 2.3L 280 @ 3000 263 @ 5500

#22 ·
I just traded my 06 Si for a Mazdaspeed 3. The MS3 is way faster than an Si, but you guys with NA 3s need to respect the Si. That car may not have the impressive torque numbers but the sucker is quick. It handles great too. I never got to race myself in the MS3, but a buddy of mine has an 06 GTI and it FEELS faster than the Si, but it ain't. (I know GTIs are pork chops (heavy))

#23 ·
[/quote]

yep, the si just revs higher, same engine as the regular coupe and sedan as well i believe. I drove the EX sedan, I like it, but liked the 3 better. And besides, IT'S A CIVIC!

#24 ·
[quote author=agm_ultimatex link=topic=71221.msg1480897#msg1480897 date=1181666408]
[/quote]

yep, the si just revs higher, same engine as the regular coupe and sedan as well i believe. I drove the EX sedan, I like it, but liked the 3 better. And besides, IT'S A CIVIC!
[/quote]

Sedan/Coupe is 1.8L, SI is 2.0L... not the same engine!

#25 ·
Its Still a Civic..... our 2.3 pwns the 2.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.