Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2006 Mazda 3 (2.3l) with 96k km.
I have noticed the car vibrates/ steering wheel shakes once the car passes 85km/h
I took the car to a shop and have all tires rebalanced and the problem is still exist.
Anyone has idea what is going on?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would first rotate the tires front to back and see if the problem disappears. If so you have your answer. If it persists, the next thing I would do is have the alignment checked. The alignment technician can inspect the entire front suspension at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great suggestions above. Swapping the front and back tires costs nothing. After that, you could try getting a road force balance and alignment check too. I've had a road force balance solve it on mine in the past. I think alignment is less likely the solution unless you also notice it pulling to a side.

There is also a TSB about this happening as a result of the engine mounts. I've attached that TSB for you to check out. There is an engine mount centering procedure in that service bulletin you can try with your existing mounts. There are also alternate mounts you can install if the problem is due to the mounts. The problem only occurs on some Mazdas, so both versions of the mount are still made by Mazda.

With all that said, in my own experience this car (mine is an '08 HB) just seems to be a little more sensitive to wheel balance and perfect tire roundness. I've gotten a little vibration in the steering wheel after some tire rotations and have never had that problem on other cars. My best guess is the rear tires get slightly cupped, even though the rear struts and springs have been swapped and everything is in good shape back there. I've chased this problem multiple times, replacing suspension parts, balancing tires, centering engine mounts, getting alignments, etc., and I'm almost to the point where I don't want to rotate the tires on this car (which is actually something BMW recommends for all it's vehicles interestingly), just so I don't have to deal with the highway speed steering wobble showing up yet again.

Hopefully you figure it out soon, and let us know what it ends up being for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like a broken belt in one of your tires. How old are they and how many miles have they seen? Broken belts or sidewalls usually only manifest under a load (weight plus rpm's)... I would almost bet that is the cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts