Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not posted for a long time. My 2006 M3 has worked perfectly for nearly 3 years now. Recently I have encountered the first problem. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any hope of an out of warranty fix (I'm assuming mine ran out at 2 years). Suggestion on how to fix also appreciated.

When I put the left signal lights on in quite cold weather, they do not work. If I manually move the control arm stalk back slightly towards the neutral position they do work. But when I let it go they stop. No problem using the right turn signal lights.

Sorry if this is a well known problem but I've not been following the forum for a while. This has been an amazingly reliable vehicle for me, so nothing really to talk about.

Ron

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i have not heard that exact problem before. it is not uncommon for the signal return tab to break (the little spur that turns the signal off when the wheel is turned back the other way).
the control stalk itself is not very cheap if I remember correctly. it sounds like the switch is not making proper contact. could it be really dirty? can you spray contact cleaner up there? does it feel broken at all?

·
Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=Ron AKA link=topic=138086.msg2976643#msg2976643 date=1236220308]
I have not posted for a long time. My 2006 M3 has worked perfectly for nearly 3 years now. Recently I have encountered the first problem. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this problem and if there is any hope of an out of warranty fix (I'm assuming mine ran out at 2 years). Suggestion on how to fix also appreciated.

When I put the left signal lights on in quite cold weather, they do not work. If I manually move the control arm stalk back slightly towards the neutral position they do work. But when I let it go they stop. No problem using the right turn signal lights.

Sorry if this is a well known problem but I've not been following the forum for a while. This has been an amazingly reliable vehicle for me, so nothing really to talk about.

Ron
[/quote]

Never heard of this happening before, but you should still be under warranty depending on how many miles you have. Mine is an 06 and the warranty is good until August.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mine was occasionally doing the same thing a couple of months ago when it was really cold out. If it happens again, I'll probably disassemble it and try to clean up the contacts with either contact cleaner, or isopropanol and a Q-tip.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the tips. Don't think anything it is a broken plastic bit, as it works during warmer weather. It did act up again today at -20 C, but probably will "fix" itself again when it is a bit warmer.

Sounds like I should try warranty first, and if that is a no-go, then take it apart. It's almost like there is a spring out of place (or broken), and the arm over travels so it does not make contact. -- don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts