Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what the thread size & pitch are for the auto transaxle drain bolt, (transmission, not engine oil) on a 2006 2.3, 5-speed auto? I want to buy either a Fumoto or Fram Sure-Drain since I do an ATF drain and refill at each OCI.

Darryl

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've got the same trans and was thinking about some kind of quick drain system for the ATF.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I forgot about this. :p Yes, I found out myself, that my 2006 5-speed ATX drain bolt has the same thread size/pitch as my oil drain bolt, which is 14mm-1.5. I don't know about all of the other years, but I ASSume that they are the same too.

The Fumoto F-106 works for both the oil and ATF, but, you need an adapter for both because of the recessed bolt holes on both. I bought, and am currently using a new-old-stock Fram Sure Drain SD2 on my tranny, because the Fumoto with the required adapter extended down way to far. I will be installing my Fumoto on my oil pan at my next oil change. You have to look on Ebay for the Fram Sure Drain SD-2 14mmx1.5, because they have long since been discontinued.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Right now Amazon.com seems to be the best place for the Fram SD-2. I ordered one last night for the oil but might end up putting it on the trans after all if it'll fit. Did you get the Fumoto with or without the nipple for connecting a hose? Clearance and th amount of oil left in the pan are the biggest thing bugging me.

I've been going back and forth between just sticking with the stock drain plug, the SureDrain, and the Fumoto for a while after reading up on BITOG. When I saw the SureDrain for $8 I figured even if I didn't use it I wouldn't be blowing that much. Now I've got some use for it even if I do go for the Fumoto.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a nipple-less Fumoto :shock: I'm not worried about any oil left in the pan, because the reinforced pan thread hole is actually deeper then the Fumoto's threads are long. So in other words, the Fumoto's threads don't "stick into the pan" at all, so the same amount of oil will drain, but it might take just a little longer to do so.

IMO, the Sure Drain is better off suited for the tranny, because of the downward orientation of the drain plug, and also, the Sure Drain has a smaller opening compared to the Fumoto. With the sideways orientation of the oil drain plug, I want the valve with the larger opening.

I bought my Fumoto and adapter from: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F106A

Picture of Fumoto & adapter on our cars, courtesy of biking4jesus:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts