Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I've read and used this forum for about 3 yrs and gained lots of knowledge BUT the two issues plaguing my car are the same old story - it burns oil, and I do mean it gets burnt in the cylinder(s?) Oil is black after just a few days and I go thru 4 qrts a month - 2 months! Also the rattle on startup for a second or two. So 25 people can tell me 25 things or possible things causing these and I've read and heard everything from valve seals broken to loose timing chain or tensioner bad/clogged to VVT gear bad....you get the point. I am really seeking a more definitive answer before I pull/swap/rebuild(?) the 2.0.
It has been doing both of these since I bought it in 2018. Runs great for 163k, only smoke at startup but LOTS of carbon evidence, I have already done so much to this car (new mounts, rotors/pads, shocks and struts, etc) and its an awesome daily driver. I just want to repair and get many more miles!! Thanks everyone for all the tups, advice and wealth of knowledge!

·
Registered
166 Posts
New engine time. Don't rebuild. Get a lot mileage salvage motor. Easiest would be a 2.0 direct replacement. More power with a Fusion 2.5, but more work involved. Choice is yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know people will hate this recommendation but I've had cars with similar issues and LiquiMoly engine (oil) treatment helped a ton. Made it tolerable until I had the engine swapped and drove it much longer than I thought I would be able to. Stopped most of my oil consumption and the blue smoke on my beat down motor. If it doesn't work, its only 15 bucks gone.

Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2020 Motor Oil Saver - 300 ml: Automotive

Liquimoly products from Germany are fantastic

The fuel system cleaner actually works as well too:

Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2030 Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner, 500 ml: Automotive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New engine time. Don't rebuild. Get a lot mileage salvage motor. Easiest would be a 2.0 direct replacement. More power with a Fusion 2.5, but more work involved. Choice is yours.
I know people will hate this recommendation but I've had cars with similar issues and LiquiMoly engine (oil) treatment helped a ton. Made it tolerable until I had the engine swapped and drove it much longer than I thought I would be able to. Stopped most of my oil consumption and the blue smoke on my beat down motor. If it doesn't work, its only 15 bucks gone.

Thanks David3! Yeah, I was thinking the same for engine swap. If/when I l proceed, it will be another 2.0 ($218 @ a yard). I did use Bar's oil treatment and it did make a small difference although that startup rattle still exists. I was told that the motor was just about shot but that was 50k ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Dobbs! I added Bar's oil treatment and that helped slightly with the oil consumption. I have used Liqui Moly in the past and yes, great product! Bar's works the sme way - chemical bonding to o-rings, seals, etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks David3! Yeah, I was thinking the same for engine swap. If/when I l proceed, it will be another 2.0 ($218 @ a yard). I did use Bar's oil treatment and it did make a small difference although that startup rattle still exists. I was told that the motor was just about shot but that was 50k ago.
I say go for it. That's not much more than an alternator costs. Just a lot more work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all!
I've read and used this forum for about 3 yrs and gained lots of knowledge BUT the two issues plaguing my car are the same old story - it burns oil, and I do mean it gets burnt in the cylinder(s?) Oil is black after just a few days and I go thru 4 qrts a month - 2 months! Also the rattle on startup for a second or two. So 25 people can tell me 25 things or possible things causing these and I've read and heard everything from valve seals broken to loose timing chain or tensioner bad/clogged to VVT gear bad....you get the point. I am really seeking a more definitive answer before I pull/swap/rebuild(?) the 2.0.
It has been doing both of these since I bought it in 2018. Runs great for 163k, only smoke at startup but LOTS of carbon evidence, I have already done so much to this car (new mounts, rotors/pads, shocks and struts, etc) and its an awesome daily driver. I just want to repair and get many more miles!! Thanks everyone for all the tups, advice and wealth of knowledge!
Smoke at startup usually means bad valve seals. Oil runs down the valve stems of the open valves when the engine sits after being shut off. Then that oil burns when you start it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts