Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im new to the forum and i have a mazda3 . 2007 gt 2.3L Auto. on its second engine.

Fyi. I bought it with a broken engine (crankshaft bearing issue)

And i been searching everywhere to see if a 2.0 would fit in a 2.3.

Searching forum after forum, no concrete answers

Well, i can tell you first hand, that i got a 2.0 in my 2.3, with no issues

Except that the intake manifold now covers the thermostat housing. Haha. But no mechanical issues what so ever.

The reason i did the 2.0 is cause its all i could find, i was able to hear the engine run before i bought it. So its what sold me. Didnt wanna buy a dud.

Has anyone else do this swap and have issues?

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
The two engines are pretty much identical, but for whatever reason the 2.0 seems to be more reliable; not sure why. Did you consider using the other engine in the family, the 2.5 liter Ford Duratech?

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I've never done the actual swap, but as I understand it, swapping all of the external components of the engine from the 2.3 to the 2.5 and the addition of some form of an intake adapter plate is all that's involved. The basic engines are virtually identical.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a 2.5 Durtech; one of the most ubiquitous engines around. Heck, I was in a local bone yard a few weeks ago, and as the old saying goes, "I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Duratech motor with less than 50,000 miles on it." :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Idk? Haha I bet its cause i live in alberta canada. Our junkyards dont have alot of cars in them compared to the states... :/

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Theres some 2.3's that run like a charm! But over here they die 😂
Yeah, kind of a common theme; either they're running strong at 200,000 miles, or they're drinking oil at 80,000. Seems to be no obvious reason why the difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Idk? Haha I bet its cause i live in alberta canada. Our junkyards dont have alot of cars in them compared to the states... :/
Search on Ebay, i purchased a 5spd MT from canada for $210 + $200 shipping, and saw MANY 2.5's in canada, After looking on ebay, Wow theyre expensive in Canada......... they went up ALOT since i purchased my transmission

and with consideration of a swap, the Intake is your only challenge, which I chose to modify the 2.5 intake rather than use an adapter plate which is somewhat restrictive... Since i like to Hit the gas, this was not the route i chose because i found out how to modify the 2.5 intake without needing to buy anything besides the tool i used to size down a vacuum hose to fit in place

Heres one for $288 in GA
2013 Ford Fusion 2 5L Engine Motor 4CYL 72K Miles LKQ 121649843 | eBay

Another in SC with 40k for $350
2014 Ford Fusion 2 5L Engine Motor 4CYL 40K Miles LKQ 123659453 | eBay

·
Registered
841 Posts
I know I am reviving an old thread, but I am hoping to get an answer from the OP.
Did you change the intake manifold because you wanted to? or did you have to because of a sensor? Are you using the 2.3 ECU?
I am asking because I am trying to do something similar
thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know I am reviving an old thread, but I am hoping to get an answer from the OP.
Did you change the intake manifold because you wanted to? or did you have to because of a sensor? Are you using the 2.3 ECU?
thanks
Kind of re-upping this because I would love to know the answer as well. I have an 06 5 speed hatch that needs a new engine. Can't do the 2.5 swap myself from lack of tools. Wouldn't mind the extra fuel econ of a 2.0 though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Kind of re-upping this because I would love to know the answer as well. I have an 06 5 speed hatch that needs a new engine. Can't do the 2.5 swap myself from lack of tools. Wouldn't mind the extra fuel econ of a 2.0 though.
I think the only extra tools you need for the 2.5 swap are the timing tools which are around $50.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the only extra tools you need for the 2.5 swap are the timing tools which are around $50.
Oh no I meant I am going to have to put her in a shop to get the swap done. I don't think I'll find one willing to go the extra mile of a 2.5 swap. It'll have to be little more than a straight swap at least for now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks
I believe it works with your stock ecu as technically the 2.5 is a Mazda engine. Worst case scenario you’ll need a new wiring harness.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
You can, but why? The 2.3 liter engine is well known for early and sudden failure. A much better alternative is the Ford Duratec 2.5 liter engine; much more reliable, more power, same fuel economy. There are several very detailed threads on this forum explaining the swap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts