Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 2.3L Mazda 3 has developed a coolant leak from the water outlet (part L3271517Z ) on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Once the engine warms up, it's pretty bad. The Haynes and the service manual don't say a thing about it, and I can't see how you'd go about removing it without pulling the head off. Has anyone done this? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

- D

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had a water outlet housing leak...All I did was replace the rubber gasket and never had an issue after.

All you need to do is drain the coolant....remove the Battery Box and disconnect the ECU etc.....Then you can access the 4 bolts that hold it on to the engine block...Then replace the Coolant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done. Removing the battery box was easy enough, but the ECU and cabling was a bit of a pain, but mostly because I'd never done it before. Thanks for the tip, ultimica06. Once those were out of the way, the water outlet came off easy enough. I even got my 8mm socket back that I'd dropped earlier :)

I'd ordered a replacement gasket thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't. The water outlet itself had broken a piece off (see pic), and the rubber gasket inside has split (other pic). The gasket I bought wasn't even on the water outlet at all, though it's clearly made for it (see third pic). That one has a thin, printed rubber strip the mates with the main seal that slips in the groove in the water outlet. I ended up buying a new water outlet and it came with the main seal. I installed the thin gasket, then the water outlet, put it all back together, topped off my coolant, and ran it until I was satisfied there were no leaks. 100 miles later now, and all's well. Hopefully that shard of plastic off the water outlet unit doesn't clog up my cooling system.

- D

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just experienced the same thing my 06 has 130538 miles on it that might be helpfully if anyone has less miles. Haven't had time to fully check it out yet but you guys have been a great help in isolating ties problem. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just experienced the same thing my 06 has 130538 miles on it that might be helpfully if anyone has less miles. Haven't had time to fully check it out yet but you guys have been a great help in isolating ties problem. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help.
i have the same issue with 2012 mazda3 but i have confusion about the step of drain the coolant? shall i flush all the coolant or just drip some of it? also if i need to drip all this and need to refill it how i can do that to avoid air inside engine which maybe will damage it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the same issue with 2012 mazda3 but i have confusion about the step of drain the coolant? shall i flush all the coolant or just drip some of it? also if i need to drip all this and need to refill it how i can do that to avoid air inside engine which maybe will damage it?
I emptied the radiator and that was enough so that coolant didn't get all over. Also I was confused about filling it back up since it is a pressurized system but I filled up the hoses best I could then kept filling the overflow until it leveled off. So far no overheating issues. Youtube was a big help hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your replay! But when you start filling it again is this while engine on or off? If it is when engine on did you start filling once start the engine or wait until getting hot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your replay! But when you start filling it again is this while engine on or off? If it is when engine on did you start filling once start the engine or wait until getting hot?
Fill it when it is off and cold let I sit for a minute or two then run the car with the overflow cap off adding coolant as it gets low. It will push most if not all of the air out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So filling the coolant while engine off this is not make any problem on the engine? And so i have to keep the cap of the reservoir open and watch the level if it down then i have to add more?
Sorry for asking alot.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda3 Grand Touring hatchback, 5-speed AT
4 Posts
I watched a helpful YouTube video of how to access the coolant distribution pipe. The video is about how to change a motor mount (driver side) on a Mazda 3, but he takes you from the start of taking things out of the engine bay to removing the motor mount. I stopped the video when I got to where I had CLEAR and unobstructed access to the water housing unit I was replacing. Have a look if you want a 5-star tutorial. I was nervous until I watched his video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 2.3L Mazda 3 has developed a coolant leak from the water outlet (part L3271517Z ) on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Once the engine warms up, it's pretty bad. The Haynes and the service manual don't say a thing about it, and I can't see how you'd go about removing it without pulling the head off. Has anyone done this? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

- D
Mine is doing the same thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts