Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking around for another Mazda3 after totaling my '04 hatch. :( I saw this '05 SP23 sedan and although it's an automatic and I prefer stick, I'm semi-interested in it as it is priced at $9500, and I could probably get that dealer lower. Is it a good deal? The only thing I'm curious about are the tail lights. They seem to be the same as the base "i" models which makes it seem kind of strange that they are on a SP23. Or did the SP23 have those tail lights?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/1009363674.html

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
def not the stock tail lights - they sgould be the same as any other S model.
Cant erally tell for sure because of the crappy pic, but those look like 16 inch wheels, not the 17 inch hyperdark versions that came on the sp23.
The original owner prolly grabbed whatever they could find off ebay/craigslist to bring it back to... <cough> almost <cough> stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yeah. I'm kind of sketched out by it, and the tail lights kind of threw me for a loop there...For all I know, it could have been rear-ended...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Another easy way to tell if it's actually an SP 2.3 is the interior... all SP 2.3 models had saddle brown leather. And the 17" hyperdark wheels it's supposed to come with are REALLY nice, that was the main thing that attracted me to this model when shopping (but I decided on a normal S trim, because i didn't care for the brown leather much).

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Actually Cali, there was a choice between saddle and black leather. The carbon grey color is an indicator that it's a SP23.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Dang, really? The only one they had at the dealer I went to had the brown leather, and they said that was the only option. Wow... all these years, i've been eluded by the potential of an SP 2.3 w/ black leather... lol. Anyways, that craigslist ad does not even mention leather at all in the extensive list of options... so if there is no leather, definitely not an SP 2.3. Correct?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Correct, no leather indicates a hack job on this car. But the exterior color is unique to the SP23 trim.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
The pic looks like carbon gray (hard to tell) and it does have the sp23 badges on the sides, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The owner definitely replaced the tail lights, though honestly it's not like you can't get brand new OEM LED ones yourself.

I find it odd that the add doesn't list the leather/heated seats/HIDs/TPMS, etc. and doesn't say it's a special edition car. I would have. Try and find out the VIN.... there was a thread on here with a link to Mazda's listing for all sp23 cars, however the mazda link is down. Here's the thread. :arrow: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=40011.0 maybe you can compare that VIN to the ones in the thread.

[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=134619.msg2895805#msg2895805 date=1233158868]... so if there is no leather, definitely not an SP 2.3. Correct?
[/quote]

Correct.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
[quote author=r1owner link=topic=134619.msg2901792#msg2901792 date=1233367890]
I thought only the hatch had LED lights and the sedan had the regular lights.
[/quote]

You would be correct.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Nice. Those are pretty rare.

You should add your location to your profile. This makes it easier to answer some questions you may.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[/quote]

For the sp23 only the hatchback had the LED tails...... sedan LED tails weren't introduced until 2007. I was just saying that if he bought the car and wanted to replace the red tail lights it wouldn't be a ridiculous amount more for OEM sedan LED tails from a 2007.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=134619.msg2902088#msg2902088 date=1233374796]
[/quote]

For the sp23 only the hatchback had the LED tails...... sedan LED tails weren't introduced until 2007. I was just saying that if he bought the car and wanted to replace the red tail lights it wouldn't be a ridiculous amount more for OEM sedan LED tails from a 2007.
[/quote]

Gotcha. I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. Sorry if you got that impression!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was actually in the area of this dealership and lucky me they park their cars in a vacant lot around the corner from their office, so no harassing salesmen. :lol: But I looked at it quick as I was in a rush. It does seem to have black leather, hid's (saw the adjusting knob), seat warmer thingies (I think?), cruise control...etc...The ad lists it as auto, but it is a manual. So I believe it is indeed a SP2.3. The only thing is the tails are def base model. And I don't know if I was hallucinating, but the rear bumper almost seemed a hair off in color, but it could have been the angle. :/ I tried looking under it, but I don't know what to look for honestly...ha. And I don't know what the reality is, but the passenger side headlight had somewhat of a haze/oxidation to it whereas the driver's side looked crystal clear aka brand new...I smell an accident... :x There was a vin in the window, but I didn't even have a phone with me to take it down. :/ I might try get it again just out of curiosity at this point. ha

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Sounds like it was definitely in an accident. There's absolutely no reason someone would "downgrade" the tail lights, unless they needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
k...well thanks for the help. Settled the issue once and for all. Went back, and looked over everything. I even noticed the hood wasn't aligned with the bumper, the grill seemed to be repainted without patching the grooves/dents in it, and one hid housing was definitely newer than the other. Then just to be double sure, I ran the VIN with VINcheck and came out with this...DAMN scamming dealers!

VINCheck Theft Record JM1BK323251321616 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheck Theft Records.

VINCheck is updated regularly as additional information is reported.
VINCheck Total Loss Record

Auto Check
Further information is available through Auto Check.
Warning!
VIN: JM1BK323251321616 has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheck Total Loss Records.

Date of Loss Cause of Loss
2007-03-13 Collision

You are advised to consult with a certified automotive technician before further considering this vehicle.
VINCheck is updated regularly as additional information is reported.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts